LegacyGT.com

Has Your LGT Been Affected by the "Studder"?

Vimy101

Has your LGT been affected by the "studder"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Has your LGT been affected by the "studder"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure/uncertain

Never had the studder or smelly clutch here (in ~7300 miles).

I noticed you're from SB, what a great place to drive around in. :)

As for my car, if the car has been warmed up and running for >15mins, there's no studdering. As for the smelly clutch, drop it like it's hot, and the whole cabin can smell it.

edit/added: You should of asked people who have GTs, it seem that the studdering only effects people with the turbo.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...I'll "chime in" as a "noob". It may be because of the missing turbo in my legacy, but I havn't experienced any kind of studder in acceleration. I have called the dealership, however, regarding studdering in idle. My dad went berserk over it and thought we bought a pos.

Oh yea and they said it's "normal for the subaru engine" and that it "can't be compared to cars like Acura or Lexus".

It only happend a couple of times in 1st gear after some annoying bumper-to-bumper driving after about 20 minutes. If I could smell clutch I am almost certain it will studder a little. I just hold the clutch for a split second longer in 1st. Also, no spirited lauches for the rest of the day. However, it realy only happens in 1st on an incline.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

my car is an 06 with 25k on it and it has the studder since i bought it, i took it to the dealer, and they said its normal, just turbo lag.

So i gave up on trying to get it fixed tru the dealership.

I will be buying an AP soon, hopefully that will take care of it.

I know what you're talking about! :lol: It's quite "entertaining" when you really aren't prepared for it. It's easy enough to solve (hit the clutch) and you can drive such that it doesn't happen (and even when it does it's infrequent) but to me this seems like it could be a safety concern. If it surged and you didn't clutch fast enough you could rearend someone.

I've certainly heard of others talking about this before. It's... odd.

I've had the surge a handful of times, but only within the first few minutes after starting the car I think (doesn't have to be a cold start). I've had the studder, but only after a cold start. Never had the stinky clutch aside from the usual clutch smell when I've had to overwork it or my leg starts to wear out.

I do the clutch thing to stop the surge......But the 1st time it happened I was in traffic and I was like "OH Sh#*( !!" :icon_bigg . I can see this becoming a safety issue...but I haven’t seen any other threads on it.....

The studder is a pain……but like RochNY91TSI said….it usually only happens when cold. On that note…anyone experience what I like to call “1st gear surge” it’s hard to explain…but if it happened to you, you know what I’ talking about. The car all of sudden thinks your drag racing when you’re not on the gas.

Yeah I think that is the throttle delay. Like when you are in a lineup at the drive through and you try and nudge forward, press the gas a little, take your foot off then the car keeps going and you almost rear end the person in front...yeah

Otherwise, I barely notice the studder anymore, but its there....

I do the clutch thing to stop the surge......But the 1st time it happened I was in traffic and I was like "OH Sh#*( !!" :icon_bigg . I can see this becoming a safety issue...but I haven’t seen any other threads on it.....

I've seen it mentioned, but nobody seems to pay it much mind. The studder may be annoying, the clutch stink may suck for those it affects, but those are not that likely to risk causing an accident. I think Subaru ought to fix the surge because as best I can tell it's not that predictable.

I've seen it mentioned, but nobody seems to pay it much mind. The studder may be annoying, the clutch stink may suck for those it affects, but those are not that likely to risk causing an accident. I think Subaru ought to fix the surge because as best I can tell it's not that predictable.

It's pretty predictable to me..........every time I'm behind a car. :eek: I've tried to make it to do it in a parking lot with no luck.

Looks like 2/3s of LGT owners have had "studder" issues. The poll I posted in the "Warranty" section relating to cooling fan malfunctions also has the 1/3, 2/3 breakdown (pardon the pun) but in inverse proportion.

I wonder how an excessive oil consumption poll would turn out?

Hmmm.........

Looks like 2/3s of LGT owners have had "studder" issues. The poll I posted in the "Warranty" section relating to cooling fan malfunctions also has the 1/3, 2/3 breakdown (pardon the pun) but in inverse proportion.

I wonder how an excessive oil consumption poll would turn out?

Hmmm.........

You can count me out as a negative on the excessive oil consumption issue.

And that's one I'm glad to be missing out on!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
^lol that's just bad...

hey, it's the truth.

Typical Events in the past month or so:

*insert and turn key*

*Car Starts*

*severe shaking*

*shake*

*shake*

*shake*

*shake*

*interior rattling, passenger seat vibrating fiercely*

*CEL On*

*shaking continues*

*CEL Off*

*shaking continues*

*CEL ON*

*Shaking slows a bit*

*CEL Off*

*shaking becomes subdued*

*Put car in drive*

*CEL On*

Drive slowly up street*

*CEL Off*

*everything seems to be normal*

godwhomismike, you make it sound like I have the half-brother version of your car-- even w/ the passenger seat rattle (when empty)!

Except, I don't get no CEL *yet.*

It's starting to get annoying, in fact. It's almost like every other common problem listed on this forum is starting to show up on my car. At first, I was perfectly fine with the dash rattles. Then the passenger seat began to rattle. Then, I get studdering. Next it's first-gear surging. Now it's rough idle which others here seem to suggest coil pack or injector replacements.

*thinking about going back to BMW's...*

• 3 weeks later...
No studder ever. Not stock, not stage 1, not stage 2. I must have gotten one of the "good ones" my ride has been basically flawless except for the ECU/fan relay recall stuff.
Let's kick this pig!

No studder ever. Not stock, not stage 1, not stage 2. I must have gotten one of the "good ones" my ride has been basically flawless except for the ECU/fan relay recall stuff.

Had your relay failed?

Yeaaaa I was actually going to make a thread on the studder just now until i saw this thread haha. Bugs the hell out of me, its really bad between 2-3k, as people have already mentioned. 21,000 on the car. getting AP soon to hopefully fix the problem.

Archived