LegacyGT.com

Has Your LGT Been Affected by the "Studder"?

Vimy101

Has your LGT been affected by the "studder"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Has your LGT been affected by the "studder"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure/uncertain

Just brought my 05 LGT in for a service and they told me they noticed there was a "flash" for my cars ECU and they did it. They said it was to address the stuttering issue with a bad fuel:air ratio. I picked up the car and believe it or not, the stutter is gone. The car accelerates MUCCCCCH smoother, even with the AC on on a HOT humid day!

Took some frustration before, but I am glad they figured it out!

JC

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've also had a problem. Wouldn't call it a surge.

Under hard acceleration between 2000-4000 rpm it seems to pulse or studder. Annoying but not similar to the dangerous hesitation that others have described.

Assume this is the studder that's being referred to??

05 lgt manual ltd. No stutter with the stock map, no stutter with any of the aftermarket maps I've loaded.

I did get a new ecu load when I took my car in for warranty work a few months ago, and it was as smooth as ever.

Im sorry guys, but mine is lacking the turbo thingy. Im sorry so many are having this problem. I hope a reflash? or something fixes it. Can anyone talk to a regional service rep to see what fixes may work? Or at least where they think the problem lies?

But, I also came in here to rub it in a little since some of you guys lurk our NA area alot. Mine does stutter a little when I say it gets 555 5555 55555 565 miles per tank. And also, 333 333 3333333 38.7 average mpgg ggg gggallon on my last road trip using 88 888 88888 87 octane that runs towards 33 333 3 bucks a gallon! :hide:

Good Luck!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My 08 Spec B is not right. I have an appointment next week to take the tech out for a little drive so he can experience it first hand. Any hard accelleration above 3K the car feels like my foot came off the gas then back on a second later. Or in third gear, I get a real jerky feeling. Just like before. I hope a reflash fixes it....Or we are going to start having some major issues.

• 1 year later...

I posted this in a different studder/stutter thread a lil over a year ago:

"I'm blaming my tranny slack

i can get studder on accel and deccel. I've even turned the key to "off" while coasting and could still get studder.

I'm almost 90% sure the studder that everyone gets is NOT from the engine. The fact that my studder has gotten worse over time supports my theory. As well as the fact that I've gone through 5-7 tunes plus a complete turbo swap.

I think the official Subaru reflash was just a throttle remaping that changed how the tranny slack would build up. For most people the studder came back. Most people have also learned to drive around it, further pointing to a mechanical issue."

back to today

It has gotten worse to the point that the car is hard to drive smoothly. I am replacing the tranny mount (and maybe bushings) the engine mounts and the pitch stop.

I can't think of what else it could be. It is NOT in the ECU. Engine runs smooth at all loads and RPMs.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hello all. There is a proper fix for this problem. If you haven't been to the dealership after September 2nd, 2008, I'd suggest that you pay a visit as there is a fix which does work. Its NOT a temporary one like the last ones where the problem comes back. This fix solves the problem FINALLY.:)

My 2007 spec B did it from day one, and it was very annoying. After doing alot of research I found out that a lot of dealerships were just reflashing cars with the original ECU software file. There is an updated file that does fix the problem. Please see the attatched pdf file and go to your dealership and insist that they upload the new file. Unfortunately this fix does not apply to Auto transmission cars as YET.

When I asked the mechanic what the difference was with the files he said, "Subaru found out that the fuel maps used for Northamerica and Canada were too rich...essentially flooding the engine, thats why if you ease off the gas pedal it goes away. Basically its the O2 sensors saying I'm way to rich..cut fuel..then detecting a lean condition and allowing fuel to flow again (causing surging)." This is also why it is more noticeable when you just start up as the fuel mixture is even richer during warmup.

The next person that goes into the dealership with this problem should insist that the mechanic comes for a test drive with the SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) and record the live data for "AFR, o2 sensor readings etc. This way if they claim to know nothing about this new file, they can see what is going on.

Since I had mine updated, It has not "hesitated" once.

Currently a very happy Spec B driver, except for the clutch stink.

Reprogramming Files for Hesitation.pdf

Maybe in the case of the 05 to 06 models, or are you saying that there are two problems that present themselves as "Studder" ?

If this is the case, then I'd suggest that all 07 and 08 owners make sure that they have the new flash after Sept of 2008, and if that doesn't fix it, then in those cases, it is mechanical. I've heard some talk about faulty transmissions on the 5spd, but not on the 6spd.

• 2 weeks later...

Parts are on! (Sti Pitch stopper, STi tranny and engine mounts)

Studderedness is much improved.

The Tranny mount was as soft as a warm gummy bear, as were the tranny bushings. Will post video showing the gumminess. The engine mounts were in good condition, but I replaced them anyways.

Now here's the interesting part.... The stock Outback XT pitch stopper is THE SAME as the STi Pitch Stopper. Part numbers printed on both match exactly. Only thing different with the STi one was some small yellow lettering printed on that say "STi"

Overall I am very pleased with the improvment. If anyone else wants to try and fix their stutter / studder, I would suggest the STi Tranny mount and AVO Bushings. The engine mounts weren't really necessary and took the majority of the time to install. The tranny mount and bushings can be done with ramps or jackstands in an hour or two in your garage. The engine mounts are gonne be a bear without a lift and screw jack.

Now we just need to verify if the LGT/OBXT pitch stopper really is the same as the STi one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yntvn5QhiQ]YouTube - OBXT Stock Tranny Mount Gumminess[/ame]

Now if I can move it that much with one hand, imagine how much it moves with 300HP and 3500lbs attached to it....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived