LegacyGT.com

what type of aftre market oil filter

Been using the K&N since the first oil change. Not sure if it is a superior filter but man with the nut on the filter removal sure is easy:)

Just bought a mobil1 b/c they were on "sale" for 6.88 @ Autozone

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I use Japan OEM...Tokyo Roki (orginally used on '05 cars)

USDM OEM switched to Purolator

I didn't know that. I know that my '98 Outback used Purolator filters (they were even recalled for being too thin walled).

My '05 car came stock with a black Tokyo Roki filters. When I ordered more OEM filters from subarparts.com two months ago, I was sent more black Tokyo Roki filters. I just assumed that was the standard USDM part.

Autozone gave me some free Mobil 1 oil filters when I bought my Mobil 1 oil there. They don't look as nice as the OEM. If I still had my bandsaw, I'ld cut them up to see what it looks like inside...

I didn't know that. I know that my '98 Outback used Purolator filters (they were even recalled for being too thin walled).

My '05 car came stock with a black Tokyo Roki filters. When I ordered more OEM filters from subarparts.com two months ago, I was sent more black Tokyo Roki filters. I just assumed that was the standard USDM part.

Autozone gave me some free Mobil 1 oil filters when I bought my Mobil 1 oil there. They don't look as nice as the OEM. If I still had my bandsaw, I'ld cut them up to see what it looks like inside...

yep. your dealer will probably have white purolator filters now....with subaru printed on them. I bought 7 tokyo roki's when i got them.:icon_bigg

Been using the K&N since the first oil change. Not sure if it is a superior filter but man with the nut on the filter removal sure is easy:)

Must be something about little red wagons. I use K&N for the same reason.

Just bought a mobil1 b/c they were on "sale" for 6.88 @ Autozone

Well here ya go!

From corolland.com:

K&N Performance Gold HP-1003 - $9.94

Base-plate: 8 hole openings. Thickness of the plate approx. 0.10". The gasket is held in by a continuous circular lip. The gasket that contacts the engine block has a rounded surface and the structure that hold it is lubricated to facilitate easy removal of the filter from the engine block after use. Stamped: ãAA".

Case: Thickness approx. 0.021" (thicker than the other Champion-made filters). There is a stamped spring in the bottom of the case.

Anti-drainback valve: Black rubber. Thickness of 0.065" and the outer lip having a rim thickness of 0.092". Total width of 2.1". Hole in center of 0.85". Stamped: ãParker" and ã10". I did notice one thing about this anti-drainback valve compared to the others like it (the AC-Delco, STP and Bosch), this valve is the same design and I'll guess that it is the same rubber material (but I have no way of knowing this), but it has a considerably deeper lip that mates and seals to the end-cap of the filter element. This would give it a better chance of staying sealed properly if oil-filter pressures were high and less chance of popping loose.

The by-pass valve is at the back-end of the filter, the opposite side from the base-plate. It is a nice design, with a frame holding a coil spring, which pushes the valve sealing surface against a rubber gasket and exactly like the AC-Delco, STP and Bosch filters.

Filter element: Paper - thickness 0.025". 49 pleats of width 0.40". Filter element height of approx. 1.95". Approximately 76.44 sq. in. of filtering surface area. Metal support structure in the center of the filter to prevent collapse. Metal end-caps glued to each end of the filter element. The paper filter element seam is glued together.

General observations: I believe this oil filter is also made by Champion and I think this is a quality filter, just a step above the AC-Delco, STP and Bosch (the Mobil 1, which is also a Champion, probably has a better filter media than this K&N, but I'm not going to cut my Mobil 1 open, I'm going to use it on the car instead and maybe I'll cut it open after I use it). The pleats in this filter were very nicely spaced, better than any other Champion designed filter I've seen. The glue at metal end-caps was a little sloppy. I do like this by-pass valve design, it is just like the AC-Delco, STP and Bosch filters and in my opinion it's a good one. I really like the seal that mates to the engine block being rounded too, which the AC-Delco, STP and Bosch also have. This filter has a 1" nut welded onto the outer case to facilitate removal of the filter by a 1" wrench. This nut also has a hole drilled in it, the idea being that if you're going to race you can wire the filter in pl ace to prevent it from ever loosening and coming off, kind of boy-racer stuff and not needed for normal service and besides there isn't anyplace to attach the wire. This is similar to how you safety wire an oil filter onto an aircraft engine (look at a Continental or Lycoming aircraft engine sometime). This filter is made in the USA. It doesn't say which standard it meets, but if you read the box the filter comes in it speaks very highly of itself. Its different than the AC-Delco, STP and Bosch in the thickness of its case and the slightly longer lip on the anti-drainback valve but otherwise everything else looks the same at the others (I can't say about the filtering media itself, but it looks the same but there is just a little more of it).

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Well here ya go!

From corolland.com:

K&N Performance Gold HP-1003 - $9.94

For the Legacy GT the model is the 1008. but everything else is true. The cap 'nut' is great for loosening/tightening the filter because there is not enought free space for a strap wrench type remover.

There was a good report that I had read somewhere on the web - I believe it was at Nasioc. That report had detailed teardowns of STI filters, and showed some pretty interesting information. Basically, the OEM filter showed the best filter area, with Purolator coming in a close second. The rest were pretty low in filter area, particularly the K&N which was less than HALF the area.

Based on that, I'll stick to the OEM for now...

For the Legacy GT the model is the 1008. but everything else is true. The cap 'nut' is great for loosening/tightening the filter because there is not enought free space for a strap wrench type remover.

Yes, I would highly expect that a website called "corolland.com" would test the filter for the Corolla, not the Legacy. Should've labeled it "for information purposes only" I guess. Thanks though for putting the correct number since there are some who don't have the best deductive reasoning skills and might take the article at face value, then get pissed because the filter didn't fit.

I use a filter wrench that's like a claw. You put a socket wrench on the bottom of it and when you turn the wrench the three jaws pivot and bite into the filter. Works pretty good. Those strap wrenches are great for any filter that any other wrench can't get off though.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

purolator pureone filter for me .. I was suprised at just how small the filter is on these cars. Then again, I was used to putting a filter meant for S10 trucks on my old car. More filter area is always a good thing .. I wonder if there's any sort of oversized filter that would fit the 2.5 boxer?

I like & use Supertech ST7317 (Walmart house brand). It is the equivalent of a PL14610. They are made by Champion Labs, who also make Bosch, M1, & K&N oil filter's.

I have had a few UOA's comparing the filtering of this filter vs OEM(Toyo Roki), and it shows they are equally up to the task of 7k OCI's.

Did anyone find the thread where the nasioc forum member did a teardown of the aftermarket oil filters? I tried looking for it... but man, that forum is hard to navigate.

A few weeks ago, Autozone gave me some free Mobil1 oil filters for buying my Mobil1 oil there. Their outward appearance doen't look as good as the Toyo Roki OEM nor do they look as good as the OEM filter for my 2005 Honda Odyssey.

It appears as though the Honda OEM filters will fit the Subaru but will stick farther down. This doesn't entirely surprise me. I used to use the OEM filters for my '91 Integra on my '98 Outback.

Take a look at the pictures below. The Mobil1 is slightly smaller than the Toyo Roki. The gasket on the Mobil1 is not as nice as the Toyo Toki. The internal spring assembly is different. I don't know if it's good or bad, but the Toyo Roki and the Honda OEM have an encased spring assembly, but the Mobil1 is exposed. The OEM Honda filter has more flow holes in the flow plate. Note that the Toyo Roki and OEM Honda have a formed flow plate whereas the Mobil1 is just flat.

I really need to cut these filters apart to compare the pleated filter... but then I would have to sacrifice one of my OEM filters...

Based upon external appearances, I don't think the Mobil1 filters are worth the extra $$$. OEM oil filters for me.

IMG_6285.thumb.JPG.29ada3b11be7be0997c92d5743b385f9.JPG

IMG_6286.thumb.JPG.d94f164efd397c268a6d55f1c5742bf2.JPG

I have a number of Mobil 1 filters for my wife's Acura, but only because Pep Boys usually has a mail-in refund for the full price when you buy Mobil 1 oil on sale, (with a mail-in rebate as well). I agree, they are probably not worth the price if you are paying for them. OEM for the Legacy GT, also free with Subybucks.

Archived