LegacyGT.com

what type of aftre market oil filter

amazing finds...that helps a lot but it also make the decision more difficult. from what i can see the oem and wix are pretty nice and are competitively priced. the k&n and mobil might be nice to try but to expensive for lifetime use. this is a dumb questions but where can you get the oem filter? does the suby site sell them or is there even a cheaper place to get them? thanks.

Can't go wrong with OEM. It's all I use, although the price is slowly creeping up. I noticed a bunch of you guys saying that the K&N filters are nice because of the nut on the bottom that makes for easy removal. Do you guys have trouble removing your oil filters?? I find the undercarriage of my LGT to be the easiest oil filter to remove of any car I have every had or changed oil on, and that's easily around 50 or so. All I do is grab it fully with my hand and twist, no fuss, easy as anything.

amazing finds...that helps a lot but it also make the decision more difficult. from what i can see the oem and wix are pretty nice and are competitively priced. the k&n and mobil might be nice to try but to expensive for lifetime use. this is a dumb questions but where can you get the oem filter? does the suby site sell them or is there even a cheaper place to get them? thanks.

$72 for a dozen here: http://tinyurl.com/s2cdk

I would assume that they come with the crush washer if you buy by the case since they sell them individually with crush washer for $6 here: http://tinyurl.com/g4zbq

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Note that there are many oil filter studies out there, for many different cars. Older ones that I have seen reference a Ford 5.0L filter, and the other one listed here is for Honda motors. Although the trends are pretty telling, it's important to keep in mind that YOUR car (make/model) may have a different set of filters than these others... which is why I chose to follow the findings on the WRX STI filter study, as this is closest to our LGTs.

Of course, if I weren't lazy, I would perform a study myself on the LGT filter. On the other hand, just looking at the trends, and the filter casings, you can get a pretty good idea of what is really a cheap, possibly inferior filter.

I'm certainly interested in a longer filter... might have to investigate that further.

• 4 months later...

FWIW, NAPA Gold filters ARE WIX filters.

Just installed one this week on my LGT.

Nice thing is the NAPA Gold is larger (covers the whole mounting area on the block) so it has more room for filter media.

Plus I got an inside connection at NAPA.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Archived