LegacyGT.com

New car smell

Don't know about any of you guys, but I currently have 3000 miles on the clock and everytime I get in the car I STILL get a nice whiff of that never duplicated new car smell. I am personally shocked that it is still hanging around this long, but wont find me complaining. Anyone else have the new car smell in their car, even after some good miles under the belt?

[quote name='Ken S']4500 miles here and still new car smell. I even park with the sunroof cracked open too. That new car smell comes from the plastics and adhesives degassing and can't be good for you. Ken[/quote] It may be wrong, but it smells so right :lol: Also, I thought this was natural and has been proven that the gases arent harmful :?:

I'm questionning whether this "new car" odor is causing nausea to my 10-month old baby boy, the first time in his short life that he threw up was in our brand new LGT a few weeks ago. He seems to dislike riding in the car more than he ever did before maybe he's just growing up though...

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='TeeLoo']I'm questionning whether this "new car" odor is causing nausea to my 10-month old baby boy, the first time in his short life that he threw up was in our brand new LGT a few weeks ago. He seems to dislike riding in the car more than he ever did before maybe he's just growing up though...[/quote] Are you sure it wasn't the cornering g-forces? :D Ken

I learned from Subaru when I had my internship with them, that the new car smell is actualy the paint curing on your car. They said it causes cancer, and that when the industry made moves to remove the smell, customers actuly complained that their car doesn't smell new.

The paint has a solvent (keytone/xylene) smell... entirely different that the interior new car smell. As stated earlier, the smell in the cabin is the curing of the adhesives and plastic components. We make both paint and adhesives at my plant and there is a difference in the odors...

[quote name='tallguylehigh']Don't know about any of you guys, but I currently have 3000 miles on the clock and everytime I get in the car I STILL get a nice whiff of that never duplicated new car smell. I am personally shocked that it is still hanging around this long, but wont find me complaining. Anyone else have the new car smell in their car, even after some good miles under the belt?[/quote] my parent's 2002 toyota highlander still has the new car smell in it. maybe it's a testiment to how good they treat their SUV :?:

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Colonel Angus'][quote name='tallguylehigh']Don't know about any of you guys, but I currently have 3000 miles on the clock and everytime I get in the car I STILL get a nice whiff of that never duplicated new car smell. I am personally shocked that it is still hanging around this long, but wont find me complaining. Anyone else have the new car smell in their car, even after some good miles under the belt?[/quote] my parent's 2002 toyota highlander still has the new car smell in it. maybe it's a testiment to how good they treat their SUV :?:[/quote] Dude- I read your username real fast and didn't see the "G" :lol: My car still has new car smell- I hope it will for a long time.

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='Colonel Angus'][quote name='tallguylehigh']Don't know about any of you guys, but I currently have 3000 miles on the clock and everytime I get in the car I STILL get a nice whiff of that never duplicated new car smell. I am personally shocked that it is still hanging around this long, but wont find me complaining. Anyone else have the new car smell in their car, even after some good miles under the belt?[/quote] my parent's 2002 toyota highlander still has the new car smell in it. maybe it's a testiment to how good they treat their SUV :?:[/quote] Dude- I read your username real fast and didn't see the "G" :lol: My car still has new car smell- I hope it will for a long time.[/quote] Just buy the "new car smell" spray from teh stealership! 8)

As much as we're conditioned to like the smell, it really isn't good for you. You might as well go to home depot and sniff the stuff right out of the can. Maybe someone should post the MSDS for the stuff so other understand just how bad it is for them and those that are riding with them.

My WRX after 3 years and 37.5k miles still had the new car smell. It was a little faint under the dog odor, but it was there.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

[quote name='plunk10']I might even quit smoking to afford the new payments. That's a long tough road though.[/quote] I smoked for 6 years, but I went on the 3-stage patch to quit. I highly recommend it. Don't get your hopes down if you cheat while on the patch (cheat by smoking, not by sleeping with other women :) ). Just keep trying.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Archived