LegacyGT.com

Top Hat Question: Attn: apexjapan, nicd, drift money, etc.

SC GT

[quote name='nicd']Sorry about that! you should get these sold in a second as they are close to the comfort levels that most want. After having spent a month with the Spec B it is a little to harsh for our roads on a daily basis(I will probably be putting on some pink coils).[/quote] No probs at all, I would rather hold on to them than pass them onto someone who cant use them. More knowledge about parts is always better. We all owe you a huge thanks for taking the plunge. :) IMO its those GT-B rear rates that are making it harsh, theyre borderline amazing. ss

[quote name='gtguy']For the newbies (and those of us who often use wagon or sedan), BP is sedan and BE is wagon, correct? Kevin[/quote] For the latest generation of Legacy (i.e., the one in your avatar), BP or BP5 is wagon, BL or BL5 is sedan.

[quote name='SC GT'] One vendor is selling the JDM STi pink springs, and has said he has successfully fit four sets on the USDM strut and top hat set up, so apparently JDM springs should fit all of our USDM set ups.[/quote] That is good to know - makes it fairly easy to just ship springs over. Still, does the USDM GT Legacies have as deep of a lower front perch as the Bilsteins? If it is a little shallower, it's not going to hold the springs in as well, something that might be a problem with harder, shorter springs. [quote name='SC GT']The question right now seems to be whether USDM Top Hats will fit on JDM Bilstein struts. The top hats look different, but based upon nicd's experience, the complete JDM take-offs bolt up to the USDM cars, so bolt patterns aren't a problem.[/quote] It should, but till it has been done, it's still unknown. Working on getting some top hat pricing now, then will put it up and ship a set out to somebody who wants to test it. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Great pics! Paul, do you know whether it's possible to replace our stamped steel arms with those nice shiny aluminum JDM ones haughtily taunting me in your pics? The aluminum suspension was one of the features I really wanted - and was disappointed that the USDM gets stamped steel instead. With the 2004 Japan car of the year coming to America, I feel a little bit bait and switched. No titanium twin scroll turbo, no aluminum suspension, no McIntosh stereo - thankful for the extra half liter of displacement tho.

Rumour has it that that was a SOA decision, not SOJ. Bah, I know how you feel. It would fit, of course, all the hard points are the same. The only big problem would be sourcing it, not exactly a commonly sought after bit of metal in the aftermarket. Forgot about the linking, I'll upload the pics directly tomorrow... Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

I think people are looking for the front aluminum control arms on the JDM GT's. Similar to what WRX owners did buying the STI aluminum control arms (I was one of them that bought them). Basiclly they are lighter and stronger, plus have better bushings (atleast the STI control arms had better bushings). Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Ok, in regards to the top mounts (important distinction if you are asking at a JDM dealer. :) ), I've got some data finally. Part number for the front JDM Bilstein upper top mount (rubber section only): 20320AG000 Price: $47 per corner - $94 total Part number for the rear JDM Bilstein upper top mount (rubber section only): 20370AG000 Price: $20 per corner, $40 total No price, but part number for the top mount spring perch for the rear suspension: 20375AG000 What I have heard is that the USDM suspension in the Legacy GT (and other Legacies) is the same as the JDM non-Bilstein naturally aspirated suspension. At least as far as design goes. I've put the part numbers in hopes that somebody here can get the part numbers for the USDM equivelants - they may be the same, and if so, there will definitely be no problems with re-using the USDM top mounts. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Thanks for the research, Paul. Based upon your post, I'm unclear as to whether one has to purchase different "sections" of the strut mounts. Is part # 20320AG000 the entire front JDM Bilstein upper top strut mount, or do you have to buy more stuff? Also, do 20370AG000 and 20375AG000 combined make the entire rear strut mount?

For the front I only gave the number/price for the rubber part with the studs in it. There is also the nut for the top of the strut itself (0235S), the little black cap on top of that (20326), and the metal top spring perch (20323). From what I've been seeing, though, the STi springs have fit fine on the stock USDM struts, so if you did have to replace any piece, it would likely only be the rubber top hat. Which is still not certain, since it's likely only where the strut bolts in that would be affected. Cheers, Paul Hansen

These are part numbers I obtained from SubaruParts.com relating to the components of the USDM strut mounts. They appear to be very close in number (although not exactly the same) as the JDM Bilstein parts: 20320AG00A Mount Strut F $33.08 $25.21 $25.21 20323AG00A Spring Seat Upr F $26.87 $20.47 $20.47 20370AG00A Mount Shock Abs $18.60 $14.17 $14.17 20375AE00A Rubber Seat $7.70 $5.87 $5.87 I'm not sure what it all means other than I'm going to have to get some springs and roll the dice and see if the stock top mounts work on the Spec B Bilsteins that I have.

My hunch is that the numbers need to be "exactly" the same... or else the parts are not the same. The strut tops, from past thread pics, look like they'd have to be different. I think the safe thing would be to get the JDM strut mounts and spring seats.

[quote name='SC GT']These are part numbers I obtained from SubaruParts.com relating to the components of the USDM strut mounts. They appear to be very close in number (although not exactly the same) as the JDM Bilstein parts: 20320AG00A Mount Strut F $33.08 $25.21 $25.21 20323AG00A Spring Seat Upr F $26.87 $20.47 $20.47 20370AG00A Mount Shock Abs $18.60 $14.17 $14.17 20375AE00A Rubber Seat $7.70 $5.87 $5.87 [/QUOTE] The "A" instead of a "0" at the end may simple designate "America". I've seen other manufacturers do that, even when the part is the same. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

[quote name='racerdave']Hmm... the thick plotens. Now we just need to get SC GT to get a top hat for a USDM car, a spring, and try it out! :D[/QUOTE]Actually, I've got the struts on ebay because, at this moment, I can't really afford the time or money to buy springs and pay for the install. However, all this talk about the USDM top hats possibly fitting has got me seriously considering pulling that auction and trying them out. . .

• 2 weeks later...
I should have an answer to all these questions within the next few weeks, I have a set of the Bilstein Spec-B struts in hand (thanks SC GT!) and a set of the STi springs for the BL M/T Sedan are on the way. Everything will be installed as soon as possible after they arrive, hopefully utilizing the USDM top hats and strut mounts. I hope to have this complete before the big Subaru meet at Mastro Subaru on November 20th when I also get to find out what kind of dyno numbers my Leggy puts down with just an STi up-pipe & an AVO Filter! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived