LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket air filter?

RyanE

Hi folks,

I was doing my 15,000 yesterday, and had decided to include an air filter replacement due to the general filthiness of the filter (there was glitter in my air filter; my wife accuses me of running down ravers). I bought the Purolator filter in the book, and as everyone else who's tried this knows, it was the wrong one.

I don't want a K&N or other washable drop in filter - I just want a new filter, and don't want to pay the dealer $26 for it. I've found by searching that the proper Purolator part number is A35592, but none of the ten auto parts stores I've called (in the metro detroit, michigan area) can even find it in their computers.

I can't be the first person who needs to replace his air filter, so what's everyone else doing? I'm getting tempted to cut up some of that furnace filter that I've been using for a cabin air filter...

-Ryan

Try AC/Delco

Do you by any chance have a part number handy? If I don't give the part number to the counter monkeys at my local auto parts stores, they hand me the same wrong part they handed me last time.

Thanks!

Ryan

Yeah...I'm still searching. I use a Perrin filter, so I don't have these issues. :lol:

Thanks for looking - if all else fails, I may buy a washable (but not an oilable, I like my MAF too much) filter, but I'd rather have the added filtration of a stockish filter.

-Ryan

The OEM one lists at $18.63? But a few Nasioc vendor's have them for even less than that, more like $15-16. It really is a topnotch filter, and unless you drive in a really dirty/dusty environment, I doubt you even need to replace it just yet. Just cause it is dirty looking doesn't mean it is finished.

If you are looking at aftermarket reusable's, I recommend the AVO panel filter. I have posted in another thread, that UOA's showed that the AVO filter did a great job, in fact it did it as well as the OEM one.

The dealer told me that there was some three year limit on when OEM spec replacement manufacturers could market a replacement for a new part. The filter was new with the '05, so you should be able to get them at regular parts stores by next year. I think that if you're just going OEM-style that the Subaru filter is going to offer the best filtering and probably won't cost much more than an AC or Purolator when it comes out. My dealer charges $19 tax included.

By the way, the Legacy-specific Blitz was not out as of a couple of weeks ago (according to Joe from TDC). If anyone wants the one for the Evo that Blitz originally said fit the LGT, mine is unused and on Ebay for $40 shipped.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

I replaced my stock filter recently and I went through the same searching process. Napa sells a perfect replacement filter for the LGT. I don't remember the part number but if you search their site you will find it. It fils perfectly and is only 11 or 12 bucks.

Matt

Thanks for all the info folks - I broke down and went to the dealer. $24.98, but at least they said they'd call me in the morning :p I think next time I will plan a bit further in advance to find a dealer with a lower price.

The stock piece is indeed a nice unit - and as for it not being dirty enough, trust me, it was filthy. Michigan uses salt on the roads in the winter, and that combined with the dusty paved and really dusty unpaved roads I drive to work make it filthy.

I'll also do some more poking at the reusable filters you folks recommended - thanks again for all the advice.

-Ryan

Thanks for all the info folks - I broke down and went to the dealer. $24.98, but at least they said they'd call me in the morning :p

I just got that. :lol:

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

No...that's what I get for asking for a filter that I don't have to oil...

:lol::lol::lol: If you decide to look in to washable filters, I have the Perrin drop-in and it seems to both filter and flow well. My UOA with the Perrin filter showed similar filtration to the stock filter, and no MAF problems.

Yea, I may go with a washable filter in the future. I just needed to replace my very dirty filter, and couldn't find a reasonably priced stock one anywhere.

I am very happy with the Red Line 75w-90NS in the trans, however. Now I can get the car into reverse on a level surface without having to do the 1-2-neutral-clutch out-clutch in-reverse dance. That's nice.

-Ryan

• 1 month later...

Archived