LegacyGT.com

Picking a Car? Someone Gimme some Advise.

Okay, so. I'm having a huge problem picking through

.. Legacy GT LMT 07 5spd, or a3.

I don't know MUCH about cars, aside for the legacy, and its horrible sound system.. I'd like the forums to help weigh the differences between the cars, and really highlight the pros of the legacy.. so it'd make my choice a bit easier. I can't stand the idea of having shitty speakers... and the a3 dual sunroofs is pretti -pimp- for lack of betetr words. lol

Which A3 - 2.0T or 3.2?

Why a Legacy GT and not another Subaru model that competes more directly with the A3?

How much do you drive?

Where do you live?

Do you have budget constraints?

Are you an enthusiast driver, perhaps interested in competition, or street only?

Planning on buying an automatic, or manual?

How much do you care about the perceived status of a brand?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I will be going with an a3 dsg 2.0t.

I drive alot. I also like to race, but- I am also a fan of luxury.

I am Canadian so budget cost is basically maximum the Legacy Gt 07 lmted which is more expensive than any a3 2.0.

With legacy GT i will be going manual, but a3 I will go auto.

I don't care much about brand- but like i said I like luxury.

I live in Van, BC

I didn't come here to get useless, none the less dumb replies- noneless did I come here to be flamed. So, if you don't mind. Grow up.

You basically came in here, asking STRANGERS who will be bias to help you pick a car. The obvious suggestion will be the GT (for the most part). You ask us to highlight for you, have you done any real research besides "haha the sound sucks". You did not even mention what it was that you were looking for, why you're torn between these 2 cars. Not to mention there are about a dozen other threads that are similar to this one. Maybe none comparing the A3, but then I doubt you came here to ask about the A3.

Here's a helpful link that I'm sure was very well hidden on the internet: New car prices, used car pricing, auto reviews by Edmunds car buying guide

Maybe if you had came in here saying "I test drove both and while the GT had this and that that I liked, the Audi had this." and vice versa or if you presented an argument rather just say "Do reseach for these 2cars, tell me which I should get."

Maybe because it's late and I'm just cranky, or just pure laziness that gets to me.

I saw an A3 for the first time about a month after getting my Legacy. I thought it was Very well styled, but after reading the specs, I wasn't nearly as impressed. Of course, I had much the same opinion after being behind a W8 Passat and hearing it's melodious exhaust....what a dissapointment to read what a lump That was.

I don't know MUCH about cars, aside for the legacy, and its horrible sound system.. I'd like the forums to help weigh the differences between the cars, and really highlight the pros of the legacy.. so it'd make my choice a bit easier. I can't stand the idea of having shitty speakers... and the a3 dual sunroofs is pretti -pimp- for lack of betetr words. lol

Here is my quick review:

I just purchased a new Legacy GT after struggling with the decision on the Legacy vs. the A3. My previous car was an A4, so I was biased toward the A3 from the start, but in the end the AWD was the difference maker. If the A3 came in Quattro, I would be driving one now, but I was not prepared to spend $40K for the 3700lb 3.2, nor should buyers have to. Audi really screwed that one up. The A3 is very practical and the DSG is awesome. For those who think they would never drive an automatic, you have to go try it out! It is the best transmission on the planet ... period. The 2.0T motor is a gem too - very tunable, smooth, and balanced. The A3 wins on the interior layout too. Plus, it actually has 8 airbags - rear sides are optional.

But.... and it's a huge but.... it only comes in FWD. When you turn the traction control off, you can get the tires to chirp with only the stock 200hp. If you add a chip, which gives you 300ft lbs of torque, the FWD platform is overwhelmed. Just go look at all the discussion on audiworld.com - they are all complaining about traction. When I was young, I had a turbo Integra and I will never go back to a high powered FWD platform. Lots of enthusiasts are trying to sell their A3s because they are sick of trying to get the power to the pavement.

In choosing the Legacy, I knew that I would be modifying my new car to get super performance - 350hp or so. You really cannot do that it the A3. I wanted a car that would also be safe in the winter and rain. I wanted AWD.

I am glad I got the Legacy, although the fit and finish and look cannot compare with the A3. You need to choose what is important to you. If you plan to keep the car stock and want luxury, then the A3 is by far the right choice. If you want a platform for a super fast car, then you have to get the Legacy.

p.s. As for bad stereo, who are you kidding? The Legacy stereo with subwoofer is better than the A3s, and most other stock stereos I have tested.

Good luck, Chris

p.s. As for bad stereo, who are you kidding? The Legacy stereo with subwoofer is better than the A3s, and most other stock stereos I have tested.

+2

I've seen this complaint before here, and I have to say that anyone who thinks the stock LGT sound system is 'horrible' can't have been driving for very many years! It's astounding how far stock sound systems have come in the 20 years I've been driving.... and even in the last ten years, really.

As for the debate, both are very nice cars! Just pick whichever one makes your heart go pitter-patter everytime you walk up to it. :icon_wink

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I have both, the A3 2.0T DSG and a Legacy GT Wagon 5spd...

They are two very different cars. The A3 is not nearly as quick, but drives really sweet with the DSG (and paddles). It is very responsive and can be made a lot quicker with a chip and an exhaust (+50-75hp, and over 75ftlb). Launch control would be nice, like the have in Europe... next year, I hear. But the A3 will not be as fast as a modified LGT (for reasonable $$$). However, what the A3 lacks in straight line acceleration, it makes up in handling and agility. It is heavy, but drives like a much smaller car than the LGT. Whenever i drive them back to back, I can really feel how much more fun the A3 is. But, unless you get the 3.2 you will not have the quattro.

The LGT offers a more luxurious ride and is quieter, and larger inside. But the A3 interior is tough to beat! The stock stereo on the A3 is much nicer than the LGT. If you get the Bose, it will be more than enough for an average audiophile. Sport package seats on the A3 are sweet!!! The ESP is a nice feature that you will appreciate in the winter. Snow driving on comparable all season tires is more fun in the LGT, but the A3 feels much safer and is easier to controll (thanks to the ESP).

In the US they both cost almost the same, the LGT might be even a few grand cheaper. It will all come down what you like better... a smalles, sexier hatchback, or a larger, more comfortable sedan/wagon.

Reliability wise, the A3 seems to be doing well so far, with over 10k on the odo. Others on the Vortex forum, with more miles have not reported any big issues. There is a rumor of the DSG failing on some cars. Not mine though. The LGT already has 50k miles, and had a few small problems, but nothing to be concerned about. It is actually more reliable than my Forester XT...

Let me know if you have any more (specific) questions. Test drive both on the same day... ask for extended drives. IMHO, either one is a great choice; that is why I own both! :icon_wink

EDIT: oh, and the exhaust fart on DSG equipped A3s rocks!!! It is so sexy!

EDIT2: the A4 has less room in the back seat than the A3... surprising, but true! 34.3 for A4 vs. 34.8 for A3

I came from an A4, and I made the right decision to go with my 05 LGT LTD. As was stated above, I want to be able to mod the car within my budget, and produce a usable 350 whp every day.

The chip tuners in the audi world, as well as the aftermarket parts guys, charge a premium (IMNSHO) simply because the parts are going into Audis.

The LGT is a nice car. Every car has its quirks/downsides, but the overall package is very good.

I am Canadian so budget cost is basically maximum the Legacy Gt 07 lmted which is more expensive than any a3 2.0.

Are you sure about this? When I was doing this exact comparison a3 2.0 fully loaded came out about the same as 06' LGT Limited on MSRP. But when it came to actual sale price...LGT was a lot cheaper.

But you have to keep in mind fully loaded a3 2.0 is still FWD while LGT is AWD. 2.0t is at 200hp while LGT is at 250hp. Also, if you get the sports package...you'll have manual adjust seat. Yap, you'll be a proud owner of $30K car with no power seats.

The nice sunroof you are talking about has really bad ratch system that seem to give a lot of folks warrenty repair time.

Not to mention Audi is pretty much at bottom 10 when it comes to reliability of their vehicles. I have a lot of friends who's owns Audi's and I'd say about 1 in three has or had an audi's that was constantly in the shop for warrenty repair.

Are you buying or leasing? I would recommand against buying an Audi. Or if you are buying Audi, buy CPO not a new one. 1 year old CPO has a better warrenty than their new cars....

In the end I bought LGT because nothing makes me more un-happy than my car being in a shop. ANd I would say LGT Limited has nicer interior and "Luxuary" feel than A3 large part due to the size difference. It's hard to feel luxurious in a small car.

Wow, I appreciate the info guys. It really helped leaned by thoughts over towards the LGT. Yes, I did post on this forum for the fact that I DID want biased information, because BIASED information are the pros of the car obviously contrsasted with the cons of the a3.

Thankyou to the public of this forum for the help, and the great personal reviews.

Look Waylander, despite some of the replies that you've receive here, there is an absolute metric butt-ton of very good information on the Legacy on this site and some very knowledgeable, intelligent, and nice people. When I bought my Legacy Wagon I had been reading over this website and ones for the other cars I looked at for about a week. Heavily researching the cars, but never posting. I would suggest reading as many of the threads on this site as you can about this car and doing searches for information on the site about any topic that you can not find immediately. If you still can not find the information that you are looking for, and then pose the question; either in your own thread, or a thread along the same topic as what you’re interested in.

After I did my research on the different cars by reading the threads on the forums, comparing them on different sites like Edmunds, comparing costs (insurance, fuel, etc.) and taking the different cars on LONG test drives I bought a Legacy GT. I bought it for my own reasons, you may buy one for the same reasons that I did, or not.

Good luck in your research, have fun on your test drives, I hope you find dealers and service departments that are good and easy to work with, and I'd like to apologize for some of the responses that you've received.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Horrible? You exaggerate, and A LOT. I don't know about 07 LGT, but it's supposed to have better stereo than 05/06. I find the stereo in 05 excellent. As for a car stereo. I don't get you people, car is not the place for audiophile experience. I am not an audiophile either, but I have a rather good setup at home (Onkyo) and I can appreciate how a good stereo sounds.

Besides, I can't imagine a DRIVER deciding on a car purchase based on stereo quality. Sic!

Anyway get LGT. You'll love it, great car.

I used to own an Audi a4. sold it after 6 months and purchased the WRX. Nice interior and paint...but expensive to maintain and mod. You'll get a lot more response out of a boosted Subaru than an Audi ever could. Audi's are nice but they require constant service to keep them that way. I drive a lot. Approx. 35k a year. Go Subaru, they have better motto's. haha.

I didn't come here to get useless, none the less dumb replies- noneless did I come here to be flamed. So, if you don't mind. Grow up.

If you don't want dumbass replies, how about not asking dumbass questions - your post reads like " Hey guys choose for me"

Why don't you read through the boards for a while or try search, lazy ass? :confused:

I wouldn't have said this but for your response to this guy. You should expect some sarcasm from a lazy ass post like yours.

Enjoy your fat assed A3. Seriously. I hope you like it.:lol:

Archived