LegacyGT.com

Maxima w/ CVT

The Murano has had the CVT for a while, you can get plenty of feedback on those. Or Infiniti FX35. Also many Ford Freestyles and 500's.

While odd looking their owners seem to be devoted. They sell a surprising number of the Infiniti FX35 and 45. The FX45 has a 4.5l 320hp DOHC V8.

The Nissan V6 is an awesome motor.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I can't fathom the CVT being too sporty ! Certainly smooth.

The Audi version has paddle shifters and "detents" and is said to respond rapidly.

It sure seems to make the Freestyle a lot more responsive than it should be with 200hp.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I thought about that setup too. I wonder will it still have torque steer? A how it drives.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The Audi version has paddle shifters and "detents" and is said to respond rapidly.

It sure seems to make the Freestyle a lot more responsive than it should be with 200hp.

Audi doesn't have "detents" as you would think of them. All they are is computer controlled spots to were the chain is to be positioned to make it feel like you have shifts/ tiptronic mode. I work in the northern IL so we don't see a lot of CVT's like down south does. We used to have A4 1.8T's/3.0's and A6 3.0L's available with CVT. I am not totally sure and would have to ask around, but I haven't seen a new A4 with either the 2.0T FSI or 3.2L FSI with a CVT yet. Last I heard there will not be a front drive A6.

Also the only cars that come to mind that have the steering wheel paddle shifters are the RS6, TT 3.2l, and A3 3.2L. The RS6 has a normal trans, and the other two have what is called a DSG trans which is totally different from a CVT.

CVT's take some getting used to cause basically you hit the throttle rpm shoots up and just stays at a certain rom until you let up and the speed just starts to increase. Whats nice is that if you are under boost it just stays under boost until a point then recircs boost. So instead of the turbo having to keep building boost and blowing it off, it stays consistant. Most Audi's run their engines longitudalany so we don't see torque steer. WE unfortunately do see a lot of CVT's failing at around 30,000 miles. They have all sorts of little fixes, but about 80% of the time we have to replace it.

The most common use of CVT right now is snowmobiles.

With cars, they are either too heavy, too much energy loss, or unreliable. There isn't a huge push to develop CVT is because there is a ban in F1 on CVT. With a CVT, the engine is always in the power band so you don't have to worry about low end power or high end power.

Archived