LegacyGT.com

I Googled Boxer + Engine + Efficiency.

Wikipedia (a most trusted source eh?) came up first followed by various Subaru websites (and, as trustworthy). There was no mention of "gas" or fuel efficiency more a reference to the efficient design of horizontally opposed pistons being able to cancel out vibration better than an in-line or v type piston. Lower center of gravity, less vibration dampening, blah blah, blah.

Also, higher output per CC / liter of cylinder relative to a "in-line" design.

So, I think it's back to a few days ago of efficiency lost due to the mechanics of 2 drive trains and some combination of 3 diffs versus a FWD or RWD only having 1.

Here's a piece of trivia I did not know. Karl Benz received the first patent for the boxer design, in 1896.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very true. Horizontally opposed = lower profile = lower CoG. My friend's Father owned a Subie dealership for many years (Somerset Subaru) His son asked him why his Impreza would pump out heat so fast in the winter, literally 1 min. after starting the car cold as opposed to other vehicles, he said it was the boxer's horizontally opposed pistons and the extra friction created by being alligned as such. Just something I remember froma few years ago.

I wonder if the Boxers just have better heat transfer to the coolant than V or inline engines?

• 3 weeks later...

I too was concerned about the AWD mileage penalty, especially since I really didn't feel I needed it. I have been pleasantly surprised with the MPG of my Legacy 2.5i. I had a VW Passat Wagon with the 1.8T (150hp rated at 20city 28hwy) and it was more torquey down low but it used premium fuel and was very noisy. I would struggle to average 20 mpg in mixed driving in the VW and it was only FWD. The bigger 2.5L in the Legacy Wagon isn't as torquey but it is almost as quick and I am getting much better mpg even on my first tank. I can't wait untill it is broken in to see what mpg I will get.

How accurate is the trip computer for calculating MPG? The one in my VW was always very accurate and I was wondering if I can rely on this one.

Most who have done careful comparisons between the Subie trip computer and a manual log have come up with around a 1+/- MPG difference (the trip computer showing the higher mileage).

Right now, I am renting a Grand Prix and got 22 on the hiway last night so, I can't complain - similar type driving (hiway) at home gets me low 30's.

Just my head that says low 30's for combined mileage would be good. I should try manual mode (I have the 4 EAT) around town and see if I can do better than low 20's.

Since i got my car i've basically only driven to work and around town so my mileage averaged around 22-23mpg. But on a recent trip to north jersey to do some Weird NJing (of course we took my car) i did 80-85mph the whole time with 5 people in the car and the windows down and i averaged 29mpg. I was impressed...that was better mileage than my focus got......

Just a few $$

Wifey....what are you doing to the car now?

Switching the turbo, & a few other things.....it will really get alot better gas mileage

We were in the LGT last weekend & she started scrolling though the trip computer it was reading 33.9 mpg as a avg.

Wifey.....wow that really made a difference!!

It sure did.... I'm really glad I did it:icon_mrgr

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

How accurate is the trip computer for calculating MPG? The one in my VW was always very accurate and I was wondering if I can rely on this one.

I log actual and "observed" mpg. It's accurate within +/- 1.5 mpg or better.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived