LegacyGT.com

Complete Winter Tire Test Review

nicd

[quote name='LittleBlueGT']/// My MPV equiped with RSIs will out-brake my LGT, but the LGT will out-accelerate the MPV on snow or ice.[/quote] ....Or on asphalt, concrete, bitumen, egg shells, sand, shale, corn cobs, watermelon rinds.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I just purchased a set of hakka 4s and I'm pissed, I hasent snowed yet but I can contest to their dry traction, it is very good for a studded tire, at highway speeds they feel very stable and pretty precise, some floating but its a studded tire. I spent almost 800 on the rubber and I bought some rims so I won't have to mount and unmount them every winter, if you want/need the best winter tire get them. hakka 4s

Nokian is the best of the best for sure. I had studded hakka 2's on my old legacy and they just ripped it up in the worst of conditions. I didn't want to spend that kind of loot this time so I got studded firestone winterforce and they are sweet. They are not as good as the nokians but they are a very fun tire and I guess they last longer than the nokians...definatly a great tire for snow and ice. My wife has the nokian wr's on her car and they are really nice for an A/S tire. If I was only getting one tire for my car, i'd be on the wr's for sure.

I've already worn out the stock Bridgestones on my 06 LGT-LTD at 40K miles....sadly, but now I get to buy something better. YAY! My research on TireTrack has lead me to the following all seasons:

• Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
  • Micheline Pilot Sport A/S

Both get high marks for performance in Dry and wet conditions.

Question, I'm considering a 225/50 rather than a 215 or 225/45. Reasoning (flawed as it may be) was comfort for my long hauls. I drive approx. 1,500 miles a week - most of it on 95... which is a pothole nightmare, not to mention all the BFN old backwoods roads I take through the carolinas that are no better. I'm not looking for a squishy Oldsmobile ride, but just tring to dampen those road "imperfections" that knock me around when driving 85 MPH...or higher...:icon_mrgr

Will 50's even make a difference? Or are 50's a poor idea from a handling perspective? Opinions on the tire choices?

Thanks in advance!

Bridgestone.gif.659e2301e9a8bbdbf945e2c64b1c4a07.gif

Micheline.gif.fff53b4e9f6343cbf3195231ffd54bc4.gif

• 1 month later...
Was browsing over at the Bridgestone site, and saw that they have announced a new Blizzak tire, the WS-60, to be available for winter 2007/2008. It will be an upgraded replacement of both the WS-50 and the Revo1. From the photo, it looks like it will be a directional tire. It will be R speed rated.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I've never tried the WS-50, I've always bought the LM-22s, because I like its particular compromise. I don't need pure snow tires (traffic stops in the Detroit area when it snows), and I like its H-rating (130 mph). I've used it year round before (on the autobahn) without any issues, although I wouldn't recommend it.

My previous favorite performance snow tire was a Pirelli P190, but they don't make them any more.

So basically, I look for the most performance I can get from a snow tire. Other people have other priorities.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was the perfect day for WR's. Two inches of snow, followed by slush, then driving rain on top of all of it.

The WR's aren't quite as good as the RSI's in deep snow or ice. But they are much better than the RSI's or Michelin X-Ice in wet road cornering.

These may be the perfect New England tire!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 6 months later...

I really take tire reviews with a grain of salt. The reviews always seem to be one extreme or the other. Now I am no snow tire expert, in fact my only experience so far has been with a set of Blizzak MZ-02 on my FWD Acura CL. I bought them from a buddy with 2 seasons of use on them, and then ran them another 3 winters. I had nothing bad to say about them at all, even in their final year when they were down to 3/32's. They accelerated, stopped, and turned with ease in any snow or ice condition and handled fine on the dry pavement. Now of course I will admit, they were very soft and didn't handle like a summer tire, but who expects them to? I drove to and from work on the highway doing 80 with no problems. So when I hear all of the complaints about their handling, the only thing that comes to mind it "how fast do people really try to go on them??". And as far as the review in the magazine about them being unacceptable and dangerous, that just seems ridiculous(just my opinion).

Anyway, those are just my thoughts based on the reviews. I was reading up on tires for my Legacy GT, and the reviews sort of make it tough as it seems people tend to expect too much out of them. But anyway, I just recently ordered a set of the Nokian WRs. Ideally I wanted to have a winter set of 16 inch wheels, but apparently they will not fit on the GT, so I decided to go with the all season tires. Based on the tread of the WR, they HAVE to be much better in the snow than the re92's. Aside from snow performance, I really do not have any complaints about the 92's, but I don't want to have to get tires re-mounted twice a year. Hopefully the WR's will work out well, I expect good things from them.

• 1 year later...
I used to run Nokian RSI's in the winter on my 05LGT. Dont know if anyone mentioned this yet, but the Nokians have a much longer treadlife than say Bridgestones. Tirefactory.net (where I bought them) claims they last 5 seasons while standard winter tires are just 2-3. I myself had them on for 3 winters and didnt always rush to take em off when it got warm and they still have at least half their tread left!

blizzaks but i think the guy meant most brands in general. I'm just pointing out, a good question to ask when considering tires, performance and price, is what is the manufacturer's rating for treadlife? Nokians were much higher than most.

I'm still running my Michelin Pilot Alpins PA2's. Had them on for 4 winters and didn't want to run them the 5th Winter so I left them on this Summer just to wear them out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived