LegacyGT.com

Outback Brakes and Rotors

mwiener2

after I found that magic bolt that helped to beak the rotors free.

In all my years of changing brakes I never ever have seen a rotor that would not come off with a quick blow with a rubber mallet. These would not come off AT ALL.

I then found the thread where someone said use the 8mm bolts that hold the radiator on and screw them into the threaded holes on the rotor. :lol:

SEARCH IS MY FRIEND :wub:

Yes that helped me as well, I was starting to get :mad: when I couldnt knock those rotors off. With the bolts they came right off. :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is where someone else posted about this issue in one of the brake stickies. Looks like the brackets come with the calipers if you buy them new from the dealer according to him.

"Originally Posted by Xenonk http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

To do the swap, you just need:

GT front calipers

GT front caliper brackets (usually included with the caliper from the dealer)

GT front rotors

GT front brake pads

Brake Fluid of your choice"

Here is some more helpful information from that thread on brakes:

Xenonk:

From the brake pads I have used up to this point on the GT can go like this for the listing from a track brake pad down to daily driving (stock).. the numerical order I put them in does not mean that #1 is the best overall, it simply means that number #1 is best suited for dedicated track while number #10 is best for daily driving.. from 4-8 is great suited for autcross use for our cars... I ranked an XP8 (eventhough it is a track pad for the most part) but because our cars are soo heavy, we generate soo much heat.. the Endless SSMs can handle up to 900F, while the XP8s exceed that for it to be used better on the track.. up to date, on track, the most I ever got my rotor temps is just under 1250F (I used some rotor temp paint to test it as I got help from KNS Engineering and Brakeswap).

1. Carbotech XP16

2. Carbotech XP12

3. Carbotech XP10

4. Carbotech XP8

5. Endless SSM

6. Endless SSY

7. Endless SSS

8. Carbotech Bobcats

9. Hawk HPS

10. Endless Vita Nuovas

11. Stock

• 3 months later...

I am not sure about the 16 inch wheels and the LGT brakes. Seems like to me they would fit but I am not sure.

The rears are in fact vented with the LGT brakes. Unlike the stock Outback's being solid. Even the XT had solid rears. Really dumb to have the same engine as the LGT, but putting 2.5i brakes on a turbo outback.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I was about to do a brake swap tomorrow for my OBXT - Wilwood's on the front and LGT's on the rear.

I bought used LGT rear calipers, but they did not come with mounting brackets. Do I need the LGT mounting brackets for the rears or can I use the OBXT ones? I've read contradicting info.

If I do need the LGT brackets, any idea on where to get them?

Thanks.

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I was about to do a brake swap tomorrow for my OBXT - Wilwood's on the front and LGT's on the rear.

I bought used LGT rear calipers, but they did not come with mounting brackets. Do I need the LGT mounting brackets for the rears or can I use the OBXT ones? I've read contradicting info.

If I do need the LGT brackets, any idea on where to get them?

Thanks.

Pretty sure you need the carriers in the rear. You could try car-part.com maybe?

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

FYI on the OBXT/2.5I front brake rotors. (except the 05 2.5i - that one has "RS" front brakes - dinky for sure)

It's the same OUTER size as the WRX - but has more vanes and weight. Same pad - D929. It'sa good 2-3 lbs heavier - that was Subaru's answer for that car.

In 08 the 3.0R Limited got the LGT big brakes.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the carriers / brackets for the rear calipers. I swapped everything this weekend.

2005 OB XT

Front: Wilwood kit

Rear: Used LGT calipers (30K miles, sand blasted and painted black)

Brakeswap slotted LGT rotors

Hawk HPS

I already had SS brakes lines, so I reused the rears, but had to replace the fronts for Wilwood compatibility.

Overall, I would say that I am happy with the upgrade. The brakes definitely engage earlier and the braking pressure is much more progressive. Honestly, I don't have any quantitative data, but stopping distances from high speed braking appear to be shorter. Fade is not a factor for me because I only get to the track with my kart these days. We had some monsoon rains over the last couple of days and I did not notice any engagement issues in the wet as reported by others. I left foot brake and in the rain I apply VERY light pressure periodically to heat and dry the brakes. So, that might be the difference. No issues with brake bias (using stock LGT rotors size all around) or early ABS engagement.

On the downside, for me, the pedal is still a little soft. I may bleed them again to see how much of a difference that makes. I was hoping for pedal feel more similar to my stock 06 STI. Obviously, two completely different systems ($$$ > $) and cars. I am NOT saying that I expected them to be like my Brembo's.

One thing that did surprise me is how much braking surface is not used by the Wilwood's. Just eyeballing the stock OB XT pads compared to the Wilwood's, the Wilwood's surface area is about the same a stock. From a radial perspective, there is still about a 1/2 inch of rotor that is unused. That said, there is no way a bigger caliper would fit under the stock OB XT wheels.

Shocks next...

• 5 weeks later...

Did you end up needing the LGT brackets for the rear brakes, or did you use the original outback ones? I'm looking to upgrade my rear brakes (I already have LGT front brakes). I'm considering getting remanufactured calipers from a local auto parts store, and ordering Stoptech rotors and HPS pads. The only thing that would prevent me from doing this is if I would need the LGT brackets, as I'm sure the calipers would not come with them. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the carriers / brackets for the rear calipers. I swapped everything this weekend.

2005 OB XT

Front: Wilwood kit

Rear: Used LGT calipers (30K miles, sand blasted and painted black)

Brakeswap slotted LGT rotors

Hawk HPS

I already had SS brakes lines, so I reused the rears, but had to replace the fronts for Wilwood compatibility.

Overall, I would say that I am happy with the upgrade. The brakes definitely engage earlier and the braking pressure is much more progressive. Honestly, I don't have any quantitative data, but stopping distances from high speed braking appear to be shorter. Fade is not a factor for me because I only get to the track with my kart these days. We had some monsoon rains over the last couple of days and I did not notice any engagement issues in the wet as reported by others. I left foot brake and in the rain I apply VERY light pressure periodically to heat and dry the brakes. So, that might be the difference. No issues with brake bias (using stock LGT rotors size all around) or early ABS engagement.

On the downside, for me, the pedal is still a little soft. I may bleed them again to see how much of a difference that makes. I was hoping for pedal feel more similar to my stock 06 STI. Obviously, two completely different systems ($$$ > $) and cars. I am NOT saying that I expected them to be like my Brembo's.

One thing that did surprise me is how much braking surface is not used by the Wilwood's. Just eyeballing the stock OB XT pads compared to the Wilwood's, the Wilwood's surface area is about the same a stock. From a radial perspective, there is still about a 1/2 inch of rotor that is unused. That said, there is no way a bigger caliper would fit under the stock OB XT wheels.

Shocks next...

Well everyone this statement I wrote above is incorrect. I actually put my LGT brakes, DBA 4000 rotors, and SS lines in today.

I was putting my LGT brakes on my outback xt today, and here is what I ran into.

• First I took the 14mm bolts off the caliper slide pins and took the calilper off.
  • Next I took the 14mm bolts off, to take the caliper mounting bracket off the spindle so I could get the new rotors on.
  • I then installed the new rotors (DBA 4000)

Here is where I found out about the bracket.

When I went to put the bracket back on the spindle I decided to at least try the Outback bracket and it would not fit, the rotor was too thick and too large a diameter for the OUTBACK XT brackets.

So I had to use the brackets from the LGT calipers. No problem though because they came with the calipers I purchased used. Now if you buy new calipers the bracket may or may not be on the caliper I am not sure. You would have to check with the Subaru parts people.

Now in the threads on the LGT forum some have stated (including myself) you do not need anything but the calipers because the outback brackets work fine.

I really cannot figure out what everyone is talking about with this bracket because the bracket seems to be a part of the caliper but really it is not.

So long story short when you get LGT calipers make sure the bracket that mounts the caliper to the spindle is included, whether you buy them used or new.

Sorry for the mis-information. It's been a while, but I think you're right, I must have misunderstood the "bracket" as the piece that has the 14mm threads in them (axle spindle to vertical), instead of the piece that has 14mm through holes which the calipers attach to.

Did you end up needing the LGT brackets for the rear brakes, or did you use the original outback ones? I'm looking to upgrade my rear brakes (I already have LGT front brakes). I'm considering getting remanufactured calipers from a local auto parts store, and ordering Stoptech rotors and HPS pads. The only thing that would prevent me from doing this is if I would need the LGT brackets, as I'm sure the calipers would not come with them. Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, you need the LGT mountain brackets. I had bought the calipers used from a dealer on http://www.car-part.com. They sent me the caliper and mounting brackets without me specifying the latter. If you seriously considering this upgrade, send me a PM. I can send you a pic of what the caliper and bracket look like.

Chuck

• 8 months later...
I just became the owner of an Outback XT Wagon ('05) and I was wondering if any of you on this old thread might recall which Wilwood part numbers were referred to in this thread. It seems like Wilwood used to support the OBXT but don't anymore, at least officially...

I just became the owner of an Outback XT Wagon ('05) and I was wondering if any of you on this old thread might recall which Wilwood part numbers were referred to in this thread. It seems like Wilwood used to support the OBXT but don't anymore, at least officially...

It's a kit we put together. See link in my sig...

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Get them from Eric, you will love em!!

• 8 months later...

Just finished a LGT brake swap on the OBXT. Replaced used pads with Stoptech Street models.

Can't gush enough positives about this swap. Must-do for OB owners IMO.

Didn't read all posts regarding use with 16" wheels, I never need to run summer/winter setups.

Archived