LegacyGT.com

Outback Brakes and Rotors

mwiener2

For what it's worth, I asked the service manager at the local dealership to check the Subaru part numbers for the backing plates (dust shields) on the 2005 XT and the 2005 LGT. The part numbers are identical so I presume that the parts are the same.

By the way, does anyone know what the difference is between the brake lines on the LGT and the XT. I'm going ahead with swapping the brakes on my Outback for a LGT set but already have SS brake lines. If I remember correctly from the original SS line threads the Outback couldn't use the LGT lines but it had more to do with routing than the length of the final line to the caliper. I'm hoping that I don't have to change them again.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth, I asked the service manager at the local dealership to check the Subaru part numbers for the backing plates (dust shields) on the 2005 XT and the 2005 LGT. The part numbers are identical so I presume that the parts are the same.

By the way, does anyone know what the difference is between the brake lines on the LGT and the XT. I'm going ahead with swapping the brakes on my Outback for a LGT set but already have SS brake lines. If I remember correctly from the original SS line threads the Outback couldn't use the LGT lines but it had more to do with routing than the length of the final line to the caliper. I'm hoping that I don't have to change them again.

There was another member interested in the swap I did, so here's an excerpt of the emails we were sending back and forth that's relevant to your questions below. The dust shields ARE close, but I think that's the way they are supposed to be, you can bend the front ones a little bit so that they dish in towards the car, giving you a little more room.

Here's the excerpt:

"Anyhow, regarding the dust shields, I thought I would have to take them off, too, but it turns out they fit perfectly. The front shields don't come over the caliper, they just go straight up the inside edge, so clearance is not an issue. The rear ones do come over, but they are tall enough to accomodate the OEM LGT rear rotor. I suspect that Subaru just wanted to stamp one piece to fit all the legacy and outbacks, so they made it to the largest size.

In regards to the brake lines, yes, I just used a stainless line set labeled for 05+ LGT's. There were 6 pieces in the set and 6 "soft" rubber lines on my car (07 Outback XT). One in the front, and two for each wheel in the rear. It the rear it went: The first "soft line" connected the "hard line" chassis to the control arm, then went to another hard line along the control arm. Then it went back to a soft line to connect the control arm hard line to the caliper. They probably use the same parts and just labeled the package differently.

I suspect that LGT and Outbacks use the same brake line configuration since everything else is the same (master cyliner volume, caliper bolts, brake lines, capcacity, abs system, dust shields, etc...)

Everything else went in great! I really think everything is the same, except the caliper, rotor and brake pads."

I may put up some pics for ya'll if I get a couple people interested, but they are on my memory card at home.

-Ed

outback brake lines should be a little bit longer due too the raised suspension. My rear lines are TIGHT with the LGT caliper and Racing Brake kit. I have SS lines marked for OBXT

which ones? the caliper to control arm or control arm to chassis?

• 2 weeks later...
They may very well be different lengths, but I checked my lengths and they don't tug on them, even at full droop, however, I am on MR coilovers, so the droop isn't as far as stock.... i probably won't go back and change them, but if I were to do it agian, I'd probably get the OBXT specific brake lines.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is still following this thread, I took them out for 6 sessions of 20 min apiece @ Laguna Seca yesterday. They held up marvelously.

They actually got better as they got hotter, requiring less pedal pressure. I credit that to the pads warming up to their intended "track" temperature. I didn't get the rotors over any of the temperature markings that come on DBA 4000 rotors.

I was only braking at 7 or 8/10's most of the day but even on a couple really hard consecutive hard stops (9/10's) they didn't fade at all.

I think this will be ok for a while until I need more stop, but first I need more go.

In other opinion: damn the outback feels soooo heavy on the track!

• 4 weeks later...

Copycat Project - I finally had LGT calipers, DBA 4000 series rotors and Hawk HPS brake pads installed on my 2005 Outback XT last week. For those who care, I already had SS Techna-fit brake lines and they work perfectly with the LGT calipers. This pretty much finishes the mechanical work that I'll be doing to the car and I have to agree with Dasbigunit that larger brakes make a substantial difference in the feel of the car.

If anyone is contemplating this project I would highly recommend that they get in touch with Eric at Brakeswap for the rotors, pads and lines. His pricing was excellent and he was more than helpful when one of the parcels got lost in the postal system. The combination of DBA rotors and Hawk pads seems to be pretty much perfect for street use.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the difference between LGT and OB calipers? I know that the LGT calipers must mount further away from the hub (to clear the bigger rotors), but is the caliper different, or just the mounting bracket?

Those of us who own lesser Imprezas can easily upgrade our brakes to WRX-spec rotors by just replacing the mounting bracket, because the caliper is otherwise exactly the same.

Is the same true of the LGT and OB brakes? I checked part numbers at http://www.subarupartsforyou.com, and all the 2005+ Legacies and OBs seem to have the same calipers: part #s 26292AG041 (right) and 26292AG041 (left). Am I wrong?

I want to do this upgrade, but I don't want to have to pay for new calipers just like the ones I've already got when I really just need the mounting brackets and new rotors.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Well, they bolted on fine, both dust shields are fine to retain, too.

I now use:

05+ LGT Front and Rear Calipers,

DBA 4000 Brake Rotors for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear (The rear is vented now.)

EBC Yellow Stuff Pads for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear

Stainless lines for 05+ LGT Front and Rear

ATE Super Blue DOT4 Fluid.

Piece of cake, just took a while....

These are the brakes that should have coem with the OBXT.

What did this cost you to do this?

You're right, mwiener2, the calipers MUST be different, because both the front and rear LGT rotors are thicker than those on my OB XT (say the specs in the vacation pix).

Saving my SubaruBucks,

Ben

What did this cost you to do this?

05+ LGT Front and Rear Calipers - I got lucky on this got them for $40+shipping

DBA 4000 Brake Rotors for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear (The rear is vented now.) I got them from Import Image Online for $475 for all 4.

EBC Yellow Stuff Pads for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear ~$200 for all 4 pairs.

Stainless lines for 05+ LGT Front and Rear - I got them on the FS boards here at lgt.com, forgot the price.

ATE Super Blue DOT4 Fluid. ~$14 from rallysportdirect.com

so.... about $900 total.

I will add that after about 10k miles, that these pads are really easy on the rotors, i have no idea how they do it, they work well on the track, and don't wear the rotors. They do dust about the same amount as stock pads, though.

05+ LGT Front and Rear Calipers - I got lucky on this got them for $40+shipping

DBA 4000 Brake Rotors for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear (The rear is vented now.) I got them from Import Image Online for $475 for all 4.

EBC Yellow Stuff Pads for 05+ LGT's Front and Rear ~$200 for all 4 pairs.

Stainless lines for 05+ LGT Front and Rear - I got them on the FS boards here at lgt.com, forgot the price.

ATE Super Blue DOT4 Fluid. ~$14 from rallysportdirect.com

so.... about $900 total.

I will add that after about 10k miles, that these pads are really easy on the rotors, i have no idea how they do it, they work well on the track, and don't wear the rotors. They do dust about the same amount as stock pads, though.

Thanks for the rundown.

How is this setup working for you and do you have any opinions on how you think they would do against say the 04 STI brembos?

Or These

http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=46

http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=387

Anybody have a list like this to convert to Brembos front and rear including the wheels size and offset you would need?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have no turbo under the hood, but I can still appreciate changes that significantly impact brake and suspension improvements. I've been interested in the idea of upgrading the braking performance of our 2.5i wagon, but I want to stay with the 16" wheels, so I'm pretty sure that rules out the LGT rotors, right?

What about WRX brake components? Didn't the '06 WRX come with the 'Subaru' four pot cast calipers on the front and two pot on the rear, and 16" wheels? I looked in DBA's North American Catalog and the part numbers for 4000 series slotted rotors are the same for the 2002-2006 WRX and the '05 Outback 2.5i (P/N 4650SL).

Archived