LegacyGT.com

Outback Brakes and Rotors

mwiener2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that no one has mentioned tires in this thread.

Do you want "better brakes" or "better stopping"?

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I was trying to point out the DISadvantages of the RE92. Glad you were able to show the positives...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 4 weeks later...
When I did it, the calipers bolted up just fine to the stock brackets on the front and rear w/o an adapter or anything. The body of the caliper just is longer and sits further away from the hub.

greg you are right I missed the post. I thought that the Outback's rear brake assembly was entirely different from the LGT but I guess it's just the caliper itself that's weird. Thanks.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

• 4 months later...

While replacing pads and rotors on my 2005 Outback XT, I am thinking of upgrading to Legacy GT brakes (with Hawk pads) and I have two questions.

This tread suggests that in addition to the pads and 2005 LGT rotors, the only other thing I will need 2005 LGT calipers, and everything should fit with no modifications. Is this correct?

What are part numbers for 2005 LGT calipers, and what is a good place to buy them online? (I looked at several part sites and found pads, rotos, ABS parts, but not calipers.)

You are correct. I would try to find the calipers used if you can or look around for any subaru parts dealers online. One of the cheapest is www.thekingofparts.com Jeremy is a vendor on this site. Look in the vendor sections and PM him or look up the parts on their website. If you buy the calipers new they will be pretty expensive.

I just purchased the DBA4000 rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Motul brake fluid, and techna-fit stainless lines from him.

I bought the calipers used off this forum

I bought a set of used front calipers/rotors and new Hawks pads a couple of weeks ago for my OBXT. They bolted up in a couple of minutes...after I found that magic bolt that helped to break the rotors free.

I already had SS lines. No rears were available.

It stops like I expected the stock car to stop. Definitely worth the upgrade. I definitely like the Hawks as well.

Thanks to everybody who replied, with special thanks to gregnauman who pointed out that the calipers are expensive. I am not sure how long I am going to keep the car, so I decided to go with the a expensive original 2005 Outback XT setup (I have a base model if it matters).

I would like to get better pads and brake fluid. Could someone confirm that Hawk HPS HB432F.661 (front) and HB557F.545 (rear) are the right ones?

As for rotors, should I go with OEM replacement, or is there a better aftermarket alternative for a similar price?

• 3 weeks later...
why do you need it?

The brackets on the outback are the same i believe. check posts by dasbigunit in this thread

Well everyone this statement I wrote above is incorrect. I actually put my LGT brakes, DBA 4000 rotors, and SS lines in today.

I was putting my LGT brakes on my outback xt today, and here is what I ran into.

• First I took the 14mm bolts off the caliper slide pins and took the calilper off.
  • Next I took the 14mm bolts off, to take the caliper mounting bracket off the spindle so I could get the new rotors on.
  • I then installed the new rotors (DBA 4000)

Here is where I found out about the bracket.

When I went to put the bracket back on the spindle I decided to at least try the Outback bracket and it would not fit, the rotor was too thick and too large a diameter for the OUTBACK XT brackets.

So I had to use the brackets from the LGT calipers. No problem though because they came with the calipers I purchased used. Now if you buy new calipers the bracket may or may not be on the caliper I am not sure. You would have to check with the Subaru parts people.

Now in the threads on the LGT forum some have stated (including myself) you do not need anything but the calipers because the outback brackets work fine.

I really cannot figure out what everyone is talking about with this bracket because the bracket seems to be a part of the caliper but really it is not.

So long story short when you get LGT calipers make sure the bracket that mounts the caliper to the spindle is included, whether you buy them used or new.

Archived