LegacyGT.com

175 HP Legacy, IS IT WORTH IT?

I have been really psyched for the 05' subaru legacy gt ever since they came into production, but just don't have the capital to get one right now. Unfortunately i'm not sure how reliable the 96 altima is going to be in the next year, so I do still have to keep looking. Recently drove the base legacy, and it was okay. I still craved the gt's power, and was wondering if there were good mods out there for a regular legacy, and is it worth it?? I also hate to blame the $$ of gas, but with all the driving I do, the thought of $60 a tank makes my stomach hurt with an LGT. (STILL really want one though) If anyone has any good info on the base legacy's, your knowledge is welcomed.

I drive an LGT, but due to a few problems was driving a variety of other subaru base vehicles, including an 06 2.5i Legacy. It was nice, it had similar suspension and the same wheels. The power is not bad, and is usable especially at the bottom and the very top of the rev range. A nice car, the GT pwns the sh*t out of it but for what it is a nice car.

Mods, unless you bolt on a supercharger or turbo youll only get modest gains from likely pricey parts.

If you really want the LGT buy a slightly used/used one, or a demo which will save cash.

I actually have 1 of each...

...the 2.5i is a much more "practical" vehicle, it has all the safety features of the GT, plus the same ride quality, looks, etc. It averages 27mpg around town and 30+mpg on highway trips.

I keep thinking I should get rid of the GT because the 2.5i makes much more sense for me to drive everyday......but damn the power the GT has is just too addicting...my mind says I should keep it...

I actually haven't driven the GT since last Friday....it is just sitting in the garage looking pretty while I tool around in the 2.5i...

It will cost no more than $3 more per tank, assuming a nearly-empty tank, to fill up a GT compared to a 2.5i. That's not very much money. There are leftover *new* 05 GTs still on dealer lots for $21-23k. With those two factors in mind, a GT is still very possible for you.

I actually have 1 of each...

...the 2.5i is a much more "practical" vehicle, it has all the safety features of the GT, plus the same ride quality, looks, etc. It averages 27mpg around town and 30+mpg on highway trips.

I keep thinking I should get rid of the GT because the 2.5i makes much more sense for me to drive everyday......but damn the power the GT has is just too addicting...my mind says I should keep it...

this should help you lot in deciding what to get

win some loose some

Here's why I bought a 2.5i:

*$4500 or so cheaper (don't buy an 05 - poor crash test scores)

*better mileage & lower octane required

*less speeding tickets

*lower insurance

*cloth seats - more comfortable in very hot & very cold weather

*manual climate control - allows easy upgrade of the stereo to plug in an iPod

*more reliable NA engine

I figured with additional gas, insurance, speeding tickets, and outright cost, if you own the car for five years and it depreciates about 60% in that time frame, it'll cost you about $7,000 over that time frame (or over $100 a month) more for the LGT.

I am buying a house, so I looked at $100 monthly over a 30-year mortgage rate. It'll allow me to buy something like $15-20 grand nicer house, which to me is more worth it than having a faster car. These are pretty rough figures. My $0.02

P.S. My car is paid off, which makes me smile.

P.P.S. "27 MPG around town" mentioned above is b.s. unless the town you live in is all freeway. I have gotten 22MPG three tanks in a row, that's calculated at the pump not the b.s. MPG computer. I have the MT by the way, use plenty of fifth gear "around town" and coasting to a stop in neutral.

Here's why I bought a 2.5i:

*$4500 or so cheaper (don't buy an 05 - poor crash test scores)

*better mileage & lower octane required

*less speeding tickets

*lower insurance

*cloth seats - more comfortable in very hot & very cold weather

*manual climate control - allows easy upgrade of the stereo to plug in an iPod

*more reliable NA engine

I figured with additional gas, insurance, speeding tickets, and outright cost, if you own the car for five years and it depreciates about 60% in that time frame, it'll cost you about $7,000 over that time frame (or over $100 a month) more for the LGT.

I am buying a house, so I looked at $100 monthly over a 30-year mortgage rate. It'll allow me to buy something like $15-20 grand nicer house, which to me is more worth it than having a faster car. These are pretty rough figures. My $0.02

P.S. My car is paid off, which makes me smile.

P.P.S. "27 MPG around town" mentioned above is b.s. unless the town you live in is all freeway. I have gotten 22MPG three tanks in a row, that's calculated at the pump not the b.s. MPG computer. I have the MT by the way, use plenty of fifth gear "around town" and coasting to a stop in neutral.

You have just "jinxed" yourself and will now have multiple speeding citations this month.:lol: :lol:

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

It will cost no more than $3 more per tank, assuming a nearly-empty tank, to fill up a GT compared to a 2.5i. That's not very much money. There are leftover *new* 05 GTs still on dealer lots for $21-23k. With those two factors in mind, a GT is still very possible for you.

If you're really strapped for cash. Pass on this car, in the end this will only make you spend more, look at the bigger picture, like insurance, gas, and the loan.

$3 per tank is flawed logic, a car that gets better mileage will not be as low on gas as a LGT during fill up and will not fill up as much.

I think everyone can agree that someone driving a V8 Tahoe will fill up more often than someone driving an Echo, while the LGT is no V8 it sure eats gas like one and a 2.5i isn't no Echo but isn't as gas guzzling as a LGT. While you think it's $3 per tank more it's not. when the LGT is near empty, the better gas mileaged 2.5i will still have 3-4 gallons in it. In the end you're talking about an extra $1k~ per year.

It will cost no more than $3 more per tank, assuming a nearly-empty tank, to fill up a GT compared to a 2.5i. That's not very much money.

That depends. For the longest time premium was on average only 17-18 cents more per gallon than "regular." But lately the difference in cost has been creeping upward. Around here, the difference between 87 octane and 93octane is 23 cents. Put 14 gallons in and you've spent an extra 3.22. I wouldn't be surprised if the difference was soon up to 25 or even 30 cents a gallon difference between regular and premium.

Now, admittedly, 3.22 per tank isn't bad ... if you don't drive much. I happen to fill up about twice a week, so I'm spending probably about an extra 6-7 bucks a week for gas over buying regular. Then theres the difference in fuel economy, and you figure I'm probably spending an extra $15-20 a week on gas than if I were driving just a 2.5i. That's like $60 a month!

To me, it's worth it. But I'm single, I have no kids, and I live alone. So I don't have to answer to anyone else. I could see where other people might not see spending an extra couple hundred a month on a very similar car wouldn't be worth it. I figure I'm spending at least $200 extra per month over a 2.5i when you factor in fuel economy, price of gas, insurance, difference in initial cost/financing, etc.

My $.02

(don't buy an 05 - poor crash test scores)

Poor crash test scores? The '05 scored the same as the '06 in everything but the side impact test. Thge '05 got 4 stars for side impact and the '06 scored 5 stars due to an updated side airbag design. All other crash test scores (and the cars structure) are identical.

I call BS on your BS claim...

'05 2.5i 4EAT Wagon, 27MPG around town (mainly stop & go city driving) consistently with my wife driving, with me driving it's a bit lower, around 25MPG. Car currently has 25,000 miles...and has been averaging close to 27MPG since new...

The LGT is an incredible car, I absolutely love the LGT wagon 5spd my wife bought. I knew very little about them until she brought one home on a half day test drive. It met her criteria of 5speed wagon, heated seats and not slow (she thought the 2.5i was a dog and she came from a Civic). I wish it was available when I got my WRX Wagon which is ok, but no LGT.

I would milk your Altima along, its still cheaper to repair than buy something your partially satisfied with. Hopefully funds come together and then go for it.

NA legacy sedan....like the car. i chose it because of the better mileage and octane choice. really wanted to gt, but with those factors decided to stay practical and still pleased with the car. so far as being gutless, my only complaint is the downshift in normal shift mode is unimpressive, so i keep mine in sport shift or shift it myself..........

If you want to go fast avoid the 2.5i like the plague. It's probably about the slowest car out there besides things like the Honda Fit and porky SUV's. It handles nicely compared to Accords and Camrys though, just don't try to drag race anyone.

I recently traded in a small sports car for an NA 2006 Legacy with a manual tranny. I've been enjoying it immensely, and I would say that if you're accustomed to the Altima, then you'll find the Legacy to your liking. If you really want a high-performing car, and your financial situation is likely to change soon, then try to hold out. The difference between the two (Legacy i and GT) in price isn't enough that one is cheap and one is expensive. If you think that you'll regret the NA because it's too slow, you might want to go with something else or wait it out.

Sometimes, a dealer will let you keep a car overnight...

The problem hereis those who have a gt will give you all the reasons why they like the gt better and those who have an i will tell you all the reasons they like the i better.

When it really comes down to it though it is all about what you would prefer.

the GT will never be the i and the i won't ever be the GT, and you won't be happy with the car if you buy the wrong one.

Hello everyone, this is my first official thread... I've been reading for months and months and am impressed with the enthusiasm all you have for the Legacy...

Having got my NA 2.5i SE two months ago, it is by far one of the better cars I've owned. Having driven, owned and repaired some of the world's most tempermental cars (including many Mercedes-Benzes, BMWs, VWs...) The Subaru is a breath of fresh air. I love it.

Could I have gotten the GT, sure. But for what I do (over 100 miles a day) and the kind of driving (highway) the GT would have been a bit too much.

The performance is very spirited, and with the variable valving, it scoots nicely at speed. I love the twin pipes, the 17-inch wheels... It's a sedate sporting sedan. But if pushed, can hold its own on the road... Trust me.

Gas, insurance, running costs, everything will be lower with the 2.5i. And you can really put your foot into it when the mood strikes you. In a GT, you'll be really breaking the law!

Driving the SE is like catching big fish with a smaller, weaker rod, you'll feel the "fight" more if you catch my drift... With a GT, you may as well be fishing with a gun.

Anyway, hope this helps in your decision...

Randy K.

2006 2.5i SE

Satin White Pearl

5-Speed Manual

And a whole bunch of options!

+1 for being single and having no kids! :lol: It really comes down to what you can afford. I'm obsessed with raw power, but I like refinement as well, thus I have an LGT instead of a Trans-Am. If it wasn't for my power requirement, I probably would've picked up a used BMW 3-series, Mazda3, or even a GTI instead of the Legacy. It honestly wasn't anywhere near my list until I saw how good of a deal you could get on used 05's.

Although, gas mileage does suck. It's funny, so far I'm getting the same mileage with this 2.5L turbo than I was with my old supercharged 3.8L v6 (21-24mpg, mostly highway). It's a hell of a lot funner, though :D

If you want to go fast avoid the 2.5i like the plague. It's probably about the slowest car out there besides things like the Honda Fit and porky SUV's.

Wow, this is quite the over exaggeration.

The 2.5i is has plenty of power for normal daily driving. It all boils down to your expectations and what you want and need from a car.

My wife owns a WRX and it is a hoot to be able to have your eyeballs squoosh out of your ear canals on acceleration.

I own a 2.5i Legacy wagon with a 5MT. Is it fast? No. Is it slow? No. Plenty of torque, decent acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears, fine if uninspiring in 4th and 5th.

I average 28mpg in my normal driving, get to use regular. I figure I get 80 or 90 more miles per tankful of fuel than a GT would, and pay $4 less for a tankful of regular than I would for premium. It is nothing to sneeze at, at least for me.

I don't bother with trying for more power (not much to be had really), but have upgraded my tires, added a JDM swaybar, XM radio, fog lights and a Magellan GPS in the cubby.

It is a wonderful car, great roadholding (I used to race motorcycles and we used to say "anybody can go fast--straight"), good performance, good economy and comfortable, handsome and reliable.

If money were no object I'd be driving a GT. But for some of us it is. I don't lose any sleep over it. I enjoy my car very much.

I know I'm extra lucky because every once in a while I can sneak the WRX out for some sinus-popping fun.

And of course, Subaru's AWD systems are simply the best when the going gets bad.

P.

Hello everyone, this is my first official thread... I've been reading for months and months and am impressed with the enthusiasm all you have for the Legacy...

Having got my NA 2.5i SE two months ago, it is by far one of the better cars I've owned. Having driven, owned and repaired some of the world's most tempermental cars (including many Mercedes-Benzes, BMWs, VWs...) The Subaru is a breath of fresh air. I love it.

Could I have gotten the GT, sure. But for what I do (over 100 miles a day) and the kind of driving (highway) the GT would have been a bit too much.

The performance is very spirited, and with the variable valving, it scoots nicely at speed. I love the twin pipes, the 17-inch wheels... It's a sedate sporting sedan. But if pushed, can hold its own on the road... Trust me.

Gas, insurance, running costs, everything will be lower with the 2.5i. And you can really put your foot into it when the mood strikes you. In a GT, you'll be really breaking the law!

Driving the SE is like catching big fish with a smaller, weaker rod, you'll feel the "fight" more if you catch my drift... With a GT, you may as well be fishing with a gun.

Anyway, hope this helps in your decision...

Randy K.

2006 2.5i SE

Satin White Pearl

5-Speed Manual

And a whole bunch of options!

Oh no! Wouldn't wanna do that! :lol:

Archived