LegacyGT.com

175 HP Legacy, IS IT WORTH IT?

The implication that the 2.5 NA engine with a manual is slow as all get out is just not true. It scoots around quite well. The autotragic though...seriously that 4eat just isn't a good transmission. Poorly matched to the na 2.5L engine. With a manual it can feel zippy, coming from my STI I didn't feel that driving around in the Legacy was completely gutless.

if you're used to owning a pretty powerful vehicle pushing out more then 200+hp/tq and/or always have a notion that you are surrounded by slow drivers and always have the urge to try and pass them up... then thats a sound reason to get the GT.

sensibly speaking... for many drivers out there, the power produced by the 2.5i engine is more than adequate enough to be able to survive out in the streets. the engine is quite reliable, not as tempting to be modded due to the limited availability of performance modifications available in the market -- which leads you to saving money to either possibly buy a GT down there road once you feel your desire to be more performance driven, by a house possibly, or even more money for some henney who knows.

reasons i chose my 2.5i over a gt:

- cheaper insurance rates (nearly $500/6months)

- i average 24city/28hwy (25mpg mixed-mostly city)

- less tempted to speed nor race

- saved $6k by choosing the i over the gt

as always the decision is yours to make. irregardless of how much sh*ttalks there are regarding the 2.5i.. truth of a matter of fact is that it is a very respectable engine will provide you w/ the power you need (assumingly not racing or the likeness).

good luck and let us know the outcomes of your decision.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

It is all relative. Having owned a WRX, the 2.5i is slow. After driving my wife's Forester the 2.5i seems pretty quick. So of course compared to the GT the 2.5i is slow. I went with the 2.5i and I am very happy with my choice. I am able to use 87 octane and have been enjoying great gas mileage compared to the GT's pretty pathetic MPG figures. I commute 125 miles per day so I am more than happy with my gas savings over my old WRX. However I am one of those guys who always has to make a car a little better. I spent a lot of money tweaking the car to make it just right for my tastes. A rear sway addressed the handling, an intake vastly improved the throttle reponse and headers and cat gave it more juice. I never had the intention of making GT power only to slightly improve a really great car and a nice torquey engine. I have confidence that an NA engine will be more reliable in the long run. My car is a little more than a year old and I have 40K miles already without any problems. The 2.5i only stands in the shadows of the GT because many peope "have to have" the fastest car on the lot while overlooking a jewel not to mention a bargain. Go for the 2.5i. Trust me, it really is not as "slow" as many people say.

Hello everyone, this is my first official thread... I've been reading for months and months and am impressed with the enthusiasm all you have for the Legacy...

Having got my NA 2.5i SE two months ago, it is by far one of the better cars I've owned. Having driven, owned and repaired some of the world's most tempermental cars (including many Mercedes-Benzes, BMWs, VWs...) The Subaru is a breath of fresh air. I love it.

Could I have gotten the GT, sure. But for what I do (over 100 miles a day) and the kind of driving (highway) the GT would have been a bit too much.

The performance is very spirited, and with the variable valving, it scoots nicely at speed. I love the twin pipes, the 17-inch wheels... It's a sedate sporting sedan. But if pushed, can hold its own on the road... Trust me.

Gas, insurance, running costs, everything will be lower with the 2.5i. And you can really put your foot into it when the mood strikes you. In a GT, you'll be really breaking the law!

Driving the SE is like catching big fish with a smaller, weaker rod, you'll feel the "fight" more if you catch my drift... With a GT, you may as well be fishing with a gun.

Anyway, hope this helps in your decision...

Randy K.

2006 2.5i SE

Satin White Pearl

5-Speed Manual

And a whole bunch of options!

Yeah, what he said. Me too.

Ed

And another thing, I know it may sound silly, but the NA is a very honest powerplant. It is what it is. It's "all motor" if you catch my drift. Not that I think supercharging through blowers or turbos is cheating, but to me, there's no magic behind it. It's no myth, you'll be faster with a turbo. Now what...

But what I would like is a "turbo-look" Subaru Legacy. Like what Porsche did in the '80s with the Type 930. The scoop, all the touches a Spec B has, but with the regular motor. I know, it's silly...

It's funny, the "turbo-look" 911s are worth more than the real Turbo Carreras! Something to think about. :lol:

About this time, with a regional middle-east war, or worse, looming, the thought is creeping in that I might need something more economical than a Legacy GT.

I hate to plan a purchase for the greater part of the next decade on current events, though.

Legacy 2.5i is the natural choice. I just don't think I'd be that happy. Not because the car is bad... the turbo would be taunting me with it's abscence, and the Limited version of the 2.5i has no manual option...

I am starting to hope that SI drive might actually deliver it's tentative 10% fuel economy bonus over previous.

I am still pretty much decided on the GT... but the thought of economy has crossed my mind, though.

If we go over the brink and world events really suffer from the worst possible course, my car is going to be the least of my worries, and changes will have to be made by ALL of us anyway.

The thing is, that I want a new car to be something really good, not "make do". It is going to have to last for a long time.

I am still pretty much decided on the GT... but the thought of economy has crossed my mind, though.

If we go over the brink and world events really suffer from the worst possible course, my car is going to be the least of my worries, and changes will have to be made by ALL of us anyway.

The thing is, that I want a new car to be something really good, not "make do". It is going to have to last for a long time.

and dont forget just as your name states: IwannaSportSedan

enough said. :lol:

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Hey thanks to everyone for your opinions, they are very helpful and I think this forum is awesome. I did test drive an 06' 2.5i finally with an MT. This may sound weird, but when I got out of the car at the end, I didn't know what to think, it was unreal. Don't get me wrong, the ride was good, (not too impressed with the stereo system) but yet I felt like I wanted more power, but then I felt like it was still a fun car to drive, so I'm all messed up:confused: i think I need to take it overnight and feel it out more, never thought I'd put so much effort into researching what I like in car, but sh*t happens. still would like to drive the GT MT as well, (only drove the auto so far), so I'll keep u guys posted. Once again, thanx for response, didn't expect so many messages. (You guys rock):icon_cool

No, nothing strange, you just drove a very nice car, the 2.5i! It's not terribly fast, but it scoots. Choose wisely...:icon_wink

My wifey and I are liking our 2.5i Ltd more and more each day:icon_wink but our heart belongs to daddy:wub: ie the GT wagon.

But seriously, we luckily have the best of both worlds, you wont go wrong either way with whatever you choose.

Given that my car weighs ligher than an '05 2.5i its still has a considerable amont of pep. Enough to make me grinn and outrun various V6s.

Yeah, like which V6's? Buicks? Chevy Astros?:lol:

The 95-99's are lighter than the 2000-2004's, but they're still heavy. They are generally faster in acceleration than most small and mid-size V6 SUV's. And bicycles. Not a big weight difference to offset 10hp and Youth:

1997 Curb Weight- sedans: 2885-3160. Wagons: 2905-3250

2006 Curb weight, Wagon manual/automatic, pounds 3305/3350, auto 3420

Who Dares Wins

スバル

... the ride was good, (not too impressed with the stereo system) but yet I felt like I wanted more power...

ummm..... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... you want the GT.

i'm a 2.5i advocate but you did your test drives and still wanted more power. get the GT. you'll be happy!

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

It will cost no more than $3 more per tank, assuming a nearly-empty tank, to fill up a GT compared to a 2.5i.
Pretty much what it worked out to when I looked at it. The extra cost in gas isn't ultimately largely affected by the type of gas, but rather the rate of consumption, which is higher on the GT. It's worth it though!

Hey thanks to everyone for your opinions, they are very helpful and I think this forum is awesome. I did test drive an 06' 2.5i finally with an MT. This may sound weird, but when I got out of the car at the end, I didn't know what to think, it was unreal. Don't get me wrong, the ride was good, (not too impressed with the stereo system) but yet I felt like I wanted more power, but then I felt like it was still a fun car to drive, so I'm all messed up:confused: i think I need to take it overnight and feel it out more, never thought I'd put so much effort into researching what I like in car, but sh*t happens. still would like to drive the GT MT as well, (only drove the auto so far), so I'll keep u guys posted. Once again, thanx for response, didn't expect so many messages. (You guys rock):icon_cool

I felt the same way especially coming out of a WRX. It is always nice to have more power but at what price? Think about this, Audi asked the public to shell out $30K for 170hp Audi A4's. I got my 2.5i for $21K. Sure, the Audi had a better quality interior and nicer build quality but come on. Audi was also nice enough to include failing ignition coils for $30K as well. Like a I said, the 2.5i is a bargain. If you want to go really fast just get a WRX and save some cash and a little more fuel. Picture yourself living in europe. 175hp is definately respectable. We are just spoiled here with big horsepower and cheap gas. Yes, gas is still cheap here despite people's bitch'n. If it really were expensive, nobody would have went the GT!

I am picking up my 06 2.5i Se 5spd on Thursday and I am really excited about it. I am coming from a turbo protege that was pushing 250whp and running low 13's and the 2.5i doesnt feel that bad. It has about as much get up and go as the Mazda did wiith pushing low PSI numbers. I chose it over the GT b.c I got it out the door for 10k less then the sticker price of a GT. I drive a lot, 104k miles in 2.5 years, so gas prices do effect me and I dont mind being able to use regular. I do love the GT and we might trade in our other car for one, but for my personal daily driver it would be to expensive in the long run.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I drove the an 06 2.5i and was fairly impressed for what it was but got the 2.5i for a day while my 06 GT 5 speed was in for service. One comment I would make was that I was always flooring the 2.5i to try and get it to go faster since I was used to the power of my GT. If you are a horsepower nut and must have that acceleration feeling of putting you in your seat then buy the GT. If you just like to have a nice car that get decent mileage, looks good and handles fairly well then get the 2.5i. I drove a V6 Mazda6 with a 5 speed (not the mazdaspeed 6) and thought that it handled much better than the LGT but the thing just had no power in my opinion. I have had fast cars all my life and because of that basically was taught that you can't worry about gas mileage if you want to go fast. My Buick T-type is making over 500 horsepower and I put sunoco 94 in it not matter what. In my humble opinion you can't be worried about gas mileage with a performance car. It could be worse...we could be in the 60s with gas prices like they are now driving big block chevys (I still love the 60s cars) that get gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon :icon_mrgr

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Have a great day!

Archived