LegacyGT.com

My car got pummeled today

By golf ball sized hail in NH. There is not a single body panel that is not dented. I estimate between 80 - 100 dents over the entire car. That just plain sucks!

Holy crap!

That's brutal. I think I'd snap lose-it if that happened... even though there's not too much that could've been done to prevent this act of nature.

+2

I'm sorry to hear that. damn they should have conisdered hail and made the skin a little thicker and the paint a little more durable, and the glass better quality so it won't chip from every freakin rock.

Yeah, I was waiting for the worthless without pics gif. I was also dealing with a major power and phone outage at work while all this was happening.

Two of the dings actually broke the paint. Repair advice on this?

Sh!t man that's messed up.......What part of NH, I drove up to TDC yesterday in that storm, it was the worst rain I have ever driven in, I couldn't even see the hood.......

Insanity.....sorry to hear about your car :(

I got lucky no hail on my hour drive up there!

I work in Exeter. Every single car at work got some type of damage. One of the visiting nurses was in downtown Exeter, where they got the brunt of the storm. Her Ford Focus lost the back window, windshield and sunroof.

I believe that my insurance will cover this under comprehensive. No deductible, no points.

I believe that my insurance will cover this under comprehensive. No deductible, no points.

+1 Acts of God should be comprehensive such as a deer strike. Sorry to hear about your Legacy, my God is a mean and vengeful God.

• 1 month later...

Update and advice needed. I have had a check from the insurance company for 6 weeks now. The estimate is 10 pages long. Totally covered under comp minus the deductible.

Body shop #1 wants to fill the dents and repaint most of the car. Won't commit to getting all the dents. Says that the repaint will never match the factory. Seems to be a production shop. Promises 2 week turnaround.

Body shop #2 wants to replace most of the body panels and repaint the entire car. Says that repaint will surpass factory. Expects 1 month in the shop.

My problem is that body shop #2 wants to cut out and replace the roof panel. Where there are over 72 dents in the roof alone, he says that the thin sheet metal combined with the sunroof will cause problems in the future if just filled and painted.

Both body shops are not impressed with PDR. I think it's mostly by the number of dents.

I really like body shop #2, but am totally freaked out at having the roof panel cut out and replaced.

What would you do?

check out this auto body shop before you make any decision Prestige Auto Body Inc 200 Frontage Road, Manchester, NH 03103 (603) 669-0015. They are the best around here. I had work done on my wife's car four years ago and you still can not see a difference.

Insurance estimate is $3500. Body shop #2 expects 6k-8k.

Kevin, If Prestige is by the airport, they have been recommended by several other people I know.

Yes they are! And i would trust them with my LGT, hopefully i never need them LOL. And in regards to the roof thing, I don't think i would like them to cut it out. It will never be the same after that. Due you have any pics of the damage? Anyway good luck with what ever you choose.

I think you should go with #2...although they are cutting the roof panel, I do not think it will effect the structural rigidity of the car. Assuming they are a good shop it should look and feel as good as new.

My friend's (2 week old) LGT got hit in a very minor hail storm here in Jersey and they had to chop the roof to fix it...wierd thing was no one elses car got any hail damage!

Good luck.

Sound like #2 would do a much more professional job. With that many dents in the roof panel, the metal is undoubtably stretched. If they are only planning on cutting off the outer skin and replacing that, I wouldn't be too concerned. If they talking about cutting off the entire roof (i.e. clipping it at the door pillars etc.) I'm not sure I'd go that direction. Too hard to get everything lined up again. If you're concerned, I'd ask them if they've done that to any other cars lately and see if you can actually eyeball some of their work. That would probably be your best indicator.

Sound like #2 would do a much more professional job. With that many dents in the roof panel, the metal is undoubtably stretched. If they are only planning on cutting off the outer skin and replacing that, I wouldn't be too concerned. If they talking about cutting off the entire roof (i.e. clipping it at the door pillars etc.) I'm not sure I'd go that direction. Too hard to get everything lined up again. If you're concerned, I'd ask them if they've done that to any other cars lately and see if you can actually eyeball some of their work. That would probably be your best indicator.

^^^ good advice.

Number 2's approach is the one that I'd want. Filling and painting all of those holes will likely lead to rust and dissatisfaction in the future. Make the case with the insurance company that you don't want to have to come back to them to have them "re-do" something that should have been done correctly the first time.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived