LegacyGT.com

3.0R in Legacy GT

Hi guys. I'm new to the car scene ( just got my license) and, with it, the modification deal. I drive a '05 Legacy GT and I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on an engine swap. More specifically, putting an Outback XT's 3 L in place of the 2.5 L GT one and whether it would be worth it or not.

Thanks for clickin' on this noob's topic.

-Rojo

yes you have 250 horse in both motors, but I think the H6 has less overall torque which is important too. I wouldn't do the swap. Much more worthwhile mods can be done on the 2.5 turbo motor. Also, suspension,brakes,exhaust mods can be done that would be more useful I think and more economical if you research carefully. Check the mods forum or do a search to find out more.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy, I learn something new here everyday.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

I posted my H6 dyno results on outback.org. Basically the whp is about 15% less than the 2.5 turbo motors. Only the 2006 have VVT and you'd be hard pressed to find a used one.

In the ROW the Spec B is the 3.0 with 6 speed manual. There's a great Fifth Gear segment about it versus a Volvo wagon on a racetrack.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Have you driven the 3.0 H6 Outback? It's no slouch, but it isn't as immediate or torquey as the 2.5 Turbo. Drive one to see the difference.

Unless you plan to bolt a turbo on the H6, in which case, please do, take pictures, and share the dyno plots with us!:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

look up Red Beast's ride on this board. why go through all the hassle and expense of doing an H6 engine swap into a LGT sedan. just buy yourself a OB 3.0R Sedan, drop it, and you've got a Legacy Sedan with a widebody kit.

Yes what would be the point?

Youd be sacrificing 30 lbs of torque!

I dont condone new drivers have lots of power anyway. And Im young myself, but Im pretty content with my 170 horses. Ive seen alotta stupid people at Penn State who have money and got fast cars. One kid flipped his new Crossfire and got a new RX-8. Sorry for the rant, but some people should be protected from themselves and for other's sake too. The Legacy may have a 5 star rating but not a Taurus, Accord, etc.

Sorry for the rant, but some people should be protected from themselves and for other's sake too.

See, now this is the good intention that paves the 6 lane highway into hell.

Just who does this protecting? Who is deemed unqualified to live their lives?

Freedom means freedom to be completely stupid. Sometimes people pay their own consequences, sometimes they go scott free. Sometimes other people pay. It is the reason we all know the words: tragedy and unfair.

I guess noone wanted to mention how much harder and more expensive it is to get more power out of a NA engine. To get more power most eventually resort to turbo anyway. Check it out... your car already has the key ingredient to go fast, mod away kid.

Yeah. I guess my only real issue with a turbo that it requires premium. With gas prices as high as they are in my area it'd be nice to put just plus in it. Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah. I guess my only real issue with a turbo that it requires premium. With gas prices as high as they are in my area it'd be nice to put just plus in it. Thanks for the advice guys.

:eek:

There's no way that that 10c a gallon savings could reasonably make up for replacing the engine in a brand new car.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Yeah. I guess my only real issue with a turbo that it requires premium. With gas prices as high as they are in my area it'd be nice to put just plus in it...

Let's do the math...

Assume you get 20 miles per gallon over 100,000 miles. You use 5000 gallons of gas. If plus costs 10 cents less per gallon, you could save about $500 over the course of 100,000 miles.

OH MY LORD ... i think you would save about 1.60 a full up ...

I love my car ... basically.

Whoa . . . 20 mpg! I'm lucky if I get 18 on the highway . . . Is there something wrong with my car? The engine's broken in, its been broken in about 5 months ago.

Hard to say, do you have a lead foot? Are you a speed demon? Maybe you enjoy stoplight drag racing?

I've been averaging about 25 mpg on long trips and 19-20 around town, so I thought 20 mpg was being a little on the pessimistic side for an overall average. Ah well, there's always someone complaining, no matter what you do!

:icon_bigg

I don't race on the street. I personally think its really stupid. Highways, occasionally, but only when its pretty clear. I've heard of, and seen, the shit that comes out of racing through intersections. And yes, i've been going around reading people's posts on MPG and I do believe i have a lead foot. ( I know this post is about swapping in a N/A 3.0 but god, I do love the turbo :D )

Aren't you supposed to run premium in the H6 as well?

Archived