LegacyGT.com

Best Sounding Exhaust

harrigan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen of the system - i.e. undercarriage pictures - not really...the pipes are of bigger diameter, and they're undeniably "brighter," so it's a little bit more noticeable than the miniscule stockers.

However, compared against others' piping, yes, this one is also less of a visual red-alert beacon.

The same can be said for the lack of visible rear muffler sections. With only the discreet tips visible, it's unlikely that you'll ever get pulled-over by the police for simply "looking the part" of the usual "The Fast and The Furious" suspects. :lol:

;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Has anyone heard the Cobb muffler (I'm now told it's the Y-pipe that's not ready for the CBE/TBE). Is it more on the mellow side or aggressive side, anyone know?

Leaning away from Autospeed and all the other systems I'm now realizing are *really* expensive now that I'm doing some price checking...

If you are looking for something a little less aggressive than the EVO2 try the GReddy SP2 catback it might just be the perfect sound for you.

It has a little more "Bark" to it than the Borla setup does it's also about 75-100 less than the EVO2;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

harrigan - Don't let price fool you...some of these systems are full turbo-backs (with or without integrated aftermarket HFC), thus eliminating your need to also source a down-pipe, so check *carefully*. :) Besides, some of these systems, such as the Autospeed and the Fujitsubo, really can command such premiums as they are near "works of art" in both quality and construct.

I agree with brother wukindada in the mad-fast wagon. Look into the GReddy SP2 if the EVO2 is too aggressive for you. The SP2 is a staple of the sub-portion of the DSM crowd who wishes to go with a more mellow system. Nice, deep tone, without being overly loud. Don't get me wrong, though, it'll still carry plenty of volume (definitely more than the Borla), particularly as you ramp-up the revs.

The only thing I wonder about in this case is whether or not the SP2 is available in USDM sedan fitment?

---

As for the Cobb muffler canisters (for the LGT), so far as I have heard - well, that's just it, I haven't heard anything yet on these Forums.

As such, I'm still not sure that it's truly available.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Nice sound from the Borla, thanks MaStaMooN. Anyone know how the Borla ranks in terms of aggression / volume compared to the Autospeed set up, all other things being equal?

(No word back from that shop yet... must be still trying to find the Cobb TBE in the store room... ;) )

Borla= booty

Autospeed= Kicks that booty

Volume of the autospeed is flat out mean...

Borla sounds almost stock to me...

Narrowing options. Definitely can't afford a TBE right now, nor any of the high-end CBEs. So that leaves me with either one of the less expensive CBEs (Greddy EVO2 or SP2, Borla, Perrin, SPT, etc.) or going with just an axel-back system to start. Given that I'm really not looking for giant horsepower gains, I'm starting to lean towards the latter choice here in the interest of cost.

So I of course have more questions:

-Of the vendors mentioned here, which have enormous tips (I know Greddy look big) vs. being more discrete or close to stock? I actually prefer a tamer look vs. something really ostentatious. How is the SP2 system vs. EVO2 in that regard?

-It's been mentioned that the Perrin CBE is loud, one of the louder systems on the market. How about just the mufflers themselves on an otherwise stock system? How about Magnaflows?

Off to search for sound clips of the Greddy SP2 system. :)

Yep, I've given most of them a listen (or five :) ).

The Perrin cans are modestly priced, but I do worry about them being too loud. Without the Y-pipe, I wonder if some of the low-end rumble is lost, or if it's some of the sound and fury you get when you really plant the accelerator... or both.

^ And even with just the cans (i.e. retention of upstream piping), it'll be decently loud - our stock mufflers do quite the bit to truly "muffle" exhaust noise....

BTW, of your list in post #58, harrigan, please note that the SPT/Bosal is currently defunct (due to Q/C issues, a search of past threads for "SPT exhaust" will show you exactly what happened) - it's return-date to-market (as an SPT product rumored to be contracted with another maker) is currently unknown.

Be careful, too, in the purchase of a used/second-hand SPT/Bosal CBE - make sure that you question the seller to ascertain that it does not carry the known production defects.

Now, as for "discreet" tips ( I'm thinking that's what you mean, instead of "discrete" ;) ), that's currently pretty much the territory of Borla's CBE, Lachute's CBE or axle-back canisters, or the Prodrive canisters. Alternatively, of course, you can pair an aftermarket muffler canister - just about any, including various Magnaflows, etc. - with off-the-shelf weld-in muffler tips, which you can then select specific to your aesthetic discretion.

Get the Greddy SP2...paint the Y-back & the cans & you have a very stealthy high flow system;)

How do you like the Greddy SP2?

I just cant decide what to buy.. I narrowed it down to:

Bosal/SPT - Looks good for the price

Borla - Ive heard this and sounds good. Not a bad price

Greddy SP2 - Being an x-DSMer I have seen these exhausts proven, not a bad price

Autospeed - Looks awesome.. but kinda pricey

I am almost ready to buy the borla, but I want 3". Just incase I go with more mods. Right now I have the CATless Crucial UP and DP. I still have the factory Midpipe.

^ Whoa, slow-down, my fellow DSM brother! ;) Ya gotta read the thread! :)

Bosal/SPT - Looks good for the price

But unavailable.

It's now defunct, awaiting SPT to, rumored, partner with another maker in order to eliminate the first two runs' rather horrendous Q/C issues.

Read my posted advice to harrigan just two posts up from yours.

Autospeed - Looks awesome.. but kinda pricey

Note the currently 2 known "issues" regarding the Autospeed system, which I addressed to harrigan in post #45, on page 3.

I have the EVO2 not the SP2.

Suggested the SP2 to you due to the sound. The fit & finish on Greddy exhausts are VERY good.

This past weekend I was able to get a very good look @ the Perring Catback & it's piping,welds & cans are not nearly as nice as my EVO2.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hooked4Life, I feel your pain. I also hadn't realized the SP2 was wagon-only. Scrrrratch that off the list.

I'm new to doing any after-market modding, so it feels to me like there are a million options and ways to go with the exhaust, even though I know the LGT pales compared to something like a WRX or STi.

Thanks again for the continuing inflow of info. So:

Perrin - Probably too loud for me, but might consider just axel-back.

Borla - Looks attractive, potentially too quiet.

Megan - Not out yet, and I'm a little leery of brand-new products. Looks and sounds nice, though.

Cobb - full CBE not out, also wondering what the Cobb cans sound like as no one seems to have.

Greddy SP2 - wagon-only. Scratch.

Greddy EVO2 - price and fit/finish is right, but potentially too loud and a little too racer in terms of tip size.

Crucial - Not out yet.

Stromung - Looks good, actually, but a little pricier than what I was hoping to spend. Not much, though.

Prodrive - just an ABE, right, there is no catback? (I can't find their website.) Definitely interested here, but would like to hear. Worried it's a little too quiet (remember the rest of the car is stock).

Blitz - Too $$$.

Autospeed - Looks sweet, but too $$$ and worried about the swaybar fitment issues.

SPT - Off the market.

AVO - Too $$$.

Lachute - $$$, though I haven't heard / researched them too much yet.

Siiiigh. :)

And yes, I meant "discreet." Tired from the roadtrip I'm on. ;)

Perrin - Probably too loud for me, but might consider just axel-back.

Search around a little - I do seem to remember at least one fellow LGTer who has only the cans...hopefully, he/she could let you know how loud this setup returns on a more definitive basis, but I'm placing my bet on that it might be a little too loud.......

Megan - Not out yet, and I'm a little leery of brand-new products. Looks and sounds nice, though.

Your hesitation is understandable - but honestly, Megan's products have all been *very* nice, especially when their low pricing point is factored-in. Hopefully, history will continue to prove this to be the case in this upcoming-release. :)

Cobb - full CBE not out, also wondering what the Cobb cans sound like as no one seems to have.

:) I'd definitely get some more research on this - potentially actually contacting Cobb to find out exactly why this sole vendor that you've pursued seem to think that they've got their hands on a set of LGT-fitment Prodrive canisters..... :icon_conf

Prodrive - just an ABE, right, there is no catback? (I can't find their website.)

Correct, currently, only ABE.

Website: Prodrive - however, they do not list the exhaust.... Instead, for more info., have a search for the Prodrive exhaust/mufflers here on the LGT.com Forums, as the item was presented here in-full when it was first released. ;)

Autospeed - Looks sweet, but too $$$ and worried about the swaybar fitment issues.

What actually worries me more about the Autospeed is the current two pending cases of "too close" fitment to our bumper cut-outs.

The sway-bar relocation adaptors seem to register near-universal praise as being "sorta" a reinforced mount. ;) But if you are planning on sway-bar upgrades in the future, then yes, this is a viable concern.....

And yes, I meant "discreet." Tired from the roadtrip I'm on. ;)

:lol: NP.... heck, half the time, READING > ALLEN. :icon_mrgr

The Prodrive has a nice fit and finish but for some sedan owners they don't like that the tips were extending a little more than it should be. The Prodrive cans are tucked in on a wagon which looks more like stock.

As for the sound it sounds good. I have the Prodrive with an STI UP and Flow shorty DP and stock mid and "Y" pipe.

Archived