LegacyGT.com

Best Sounding Exhaust

harrigan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took plunge. Ordered Borla. If it's too quiet for me that might push me to get a HFC downpipe. :) If that's too quiet still (and I strong suspect it won't be), I'll look into another system down the line.

BTW, no luck finding an SP2 system for the sedan, and that includes contacting Greddy directly and talking to a Greddy sales rep.

PS: What have most folks done with the stock catback system? Is there any resale market to a shop that fixes subies, I wonder?

^ +1.

There is a resale market - check the "Marketplace" here. However, don't expect your stock system to command much of a premium as our N/A brothers share essentially the same cat-backs as we do in stock format.... The best that you can hope for is if someone would like a set of cans for a home-brew project or, perhaps, require the whole system due to damage/replacement needs.

If space is not a premium, I'd just tape up the holes, and hang on to them. ;)

Great choice on the Borlas, excellent system - I, too, though, worry and hope that they'll be loud enough for you, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on this end, too! Be sure to check back with us!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Regarding the Borla being too quiet, I'm actually pretty confident it's going to be in the range I'm looking for. The more I thought about this being my daily drive, highway speeds and the litmus test my wife was going to be, the louder many of the aftermarket CBEs started to sound to me. And I've decided I really don't want giant pipes out the back.

I've never done any kind of after-market work to a car before, so I'm "starting small" -- if I find I just immediately crave more sound, I'll try the downpipe or look into replacing the Borla and reselling it here at an attractive price.

Should be in by Friday. Very excited about this, actually. Stoked. :)

Regarding price, legacychick, the cheapest I was able to find was $749 from PLTek... but I ended up going with my dealer since they didn't want much more and I'd like to establish a relationship with them for all future mods.

Thanks for the assistance, everyone.

Took plunge. Ordered Borla. If it's too quiet for me that might push me to get a HFC downpipe. :) If that's too quiet still (and I strong suspect it won't be), I'll look into another system down the line.

BTW, no luck finding an SP2 system for the sedan, and that includes contacting Greddy directly and talking to a Greddy sales rep.

PS: What have most folks done with the stock catback system? Is there any resale market to a shop that fixes subies, I wonder?

Yeah, I called GReddy yesterday too. They claim there is no sedan fittiment for the SP2 at this time and no plans to.

Sure, I was skeptical at first, as most probably were, but the hogzawst has made me a believer. If sound is what you are after, this is the cheapest and most cost effective way you could achieve the exact sound you are looking for. Instead of forking out all of that cash for an exhaust that you may end up thinking is too quiet/too loud, simply add or remove some 3/8" washers to achieve your desired sound.

OK, but what about exhaust STANK...any issues?

harrigan i have the Bolra. just the borla with no other exhaust changes the sound was perfect. quiet, nice sound, just enough to let you know it isn't stock. put a Cobb up/dp hfc on went to stage 2. WOW much louder, almost liked it better before. the only plus side is it does not drone and is not bad on the highway. just my thoughts. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

I usually have the windows open and the cd going so whether it's the exhaust, the music or the wind noise, it's all subjective. =)

As for the exhaust "stank" ... something else is up. Smells sweet it's coolant. Check the color as well. White or a bright(er) white is coolant, blue is oil, pitch black is richness, grey is something else.

I bought a desk and it didn't fit so I had to keep the tailgate open. Helpful hint. Leave the tailgate OPEN. I thought I was slick and tied down the tailgate. You know, for safety...Yea. Vacuum effect. Hit the gas, the heat just got sucked into the car. Let the gas go, the natural flow of air would go through the car. Hit the gas again, aaah feel the heat. I didn't go too far in physics so you learn something everyday =).

Borla's pretty quiet compared to everything else aftermarket so hopefully it's the level you're looking for. Definitely let us know.

I have a Prodrive nufflers with STi UP and Flow shorty DP. Do you have a wagon or sedan? With a wagon a little bit of cabin droning will be experienced compared to a sedan.

Hey,

Were you satisfied with the build quality of your Prodrive mufflers? Aside from the dings that came on my mufflers, the build seems a little "unfinished". What is your opinion? Thanks!

I don't have any issues on the finish on my Prodrives. The welds are nice and it doesn't have any dings on them. You could send it back to where you got it if you're not satisfied with the finish for an exchange.

Got the Borla on. Dig it. I also think I made the right choice regarding loudness. Nice little deep rumble and a more agressive note under acceleration. I swear I can also hear the turbo whine louder as well, but that might be in my head... in any case it stands out nicely above the deeper exhaust tone.

The first day I went through lots of "Aw man, it's not loud enough!" and "Holy crap, it's too loud!" (especially with my wife in the car) and have gradually come back to a happy center. Any louder at highway speeds I think would grate on my nerves, especially.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. Will be posting little before and after vids shortly.

harrigan - GREAT to hear ( no pun intended! :redface: ) that you're happy! :D

I wish you many safe and speedy - and good sounding - miles! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

1st - the stock mufflers are not a power bottleneck until 400HP...going that big?

2nd - my hogwashers reduce backpressure, same as a performance exhaust.

3rd - just try it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

4th - 14,000 views can't be wrong!

5th - just do it!

i'm doing it whenever i remember to haha

and in my case.. it'll be for free and i can do it at work.. i'll just throw it on my lift, open my tool box and grab some washers from the hardware bin :)

Update:

Brother harrigan -

Er.....remember how your local shop/dealer keeps saying to you that the Legacy-specific Cobb exhaust is available?

http://legacygt.com/forums/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt/39864-new-accessport-coming-fall.html#post695637

^ Very bottom of brother zxis008's initial post (#1). Straight from the horse's mouth, it's still *definitely* _NOT_ in-production, and no word on the time-frame to-completion.

Archived