LegacyGT.com

Best Sounding Exhaust

harrigan

The Megan system sounds fantastic, but just a bit too loud in it's current iteration. The new mufflers are supposed to be in Monday, but I ain't holding my breath till I get the call from them saying that they actually ARE here. IMHO, all the full catback systems are going to be reasonably close in tone and sound level. I think the biggest factor in people saying the X exhaust is quiet and Y is loud is whether or not they have 1 or more cats. Any car running completely catless is going to be a good bit louder and meaner sounding than a car running a stock DP.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my obligatory AUTOSPEED plug. It is symphony of sound, a smooth purr at idle that grows into a ferocious roar at full throttle, but like a fine wine, has many layers that can be individually picked out and enjoyed. Not too loud to make you deaf, but deep enough to set off every car alarm in the parking lot if you feel like (and sometimes I do :lol: ). Just add it to your list.
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

I paid under 400 for what ive changed on my exhaust. I have a Crucial catless DP, and the resonator removed. Dynotuned, too. But the exhaust sounds very nice, and much meaner than stock. A little louder than stock, but not too bad. You hear a nice rumble to the exhaust. no clips though, sorry.

Hogmeat, I'm also hoping to increase flow, something about slipping a washer in there... I dunno. Neat idea, though. :)

1st - the stock mufflers are not a power bottleneck until 400HP...going that big?

2nd - my hogwashers reduce backpressure, same as a performance exhaust.

3rd - just try it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

4th - 14,000 views can't be wrong!

5th - just do it!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

This is my obligatory AUTOSPEED plug. It is symphony of sound, a smooth purr at idle that grows into a ferocious roar at full throttle, but like a fine wine, has many layers that can be individually picked out and enjoyed. Not too loud to make you deaf, but deep enough to set off every car alarm in the parking lot if you feel like (and sometimes I do :lol: ). Just add it to your list.

+1+1+1+1+1....

Can't believe no one has said anything else about autospeed exhaust...check it out at autospeedperformance.com...everything you want in an exhaust is RIGHT THERE...check out the clip...this exhaust is NO JOKE, sounds amazing, and has the perfect rumble (oh, and I have yet to hear that annoying backfire crapola I hear from other exhausts...like the SRT-4...)

One of the vendors had a sale goin on for these...anyone know? Something like 899shipped or something for the catback...not bad for a classy exhaust (I say this because all others have HUGE cans and unsporty looks IMHO)

Get it...

+1+1+1+1+1....

Can't believe no one has said anything else about autospeed exhaust...check it out at autospeedperformance.com...everything you want in an exhaust is RIGHT THERE...check out the clip...this exhaust is NO JOKE, sounds amazing, and has the perfect rumble (oh, and I have yet to hear that annoying backfire crapola I hear from other exhausts...like the SRT-4...)

One of the vendors had a sale goin on for these...anyone know? Something like 899shipped or something for the catback...not bad for a classy exhaust (I say this because all others have HUGE cans and unsporty looks IMHO)

Get it...

+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2....

I just installed the autospeed tbe and I love it. Great sound to it and the guys at autospeed are great.

Couple of other questions...

-What do folks normally do with the various parts they take off the car? Downpipes, exhausts, etc.

-How many cat converteres does the LGT have? Did I see mention that there was one in the stock downpipe? I thought the downpipe connected to the cat converter.

-If there is more than one cat converter and I take one or more out of the equation with a custom downpipe, for example, will the car still pass emmissions inspection? (Live in CO)

+1+1+1+1+1....

The video clip on their site does sound great... though I remembered hearing a little more backfiring than I might like between gears. Prolly leaning Autospeed right now, though. Checking for local dealers...

The video clip on their site does sound great... though I remembered hearing a little more backfiring than I might like between gears. Prolly leaning Autospeed right now, though. Checking for local dealers...

You won't be disappointed...

Couple of other questions...

-What do folks normally do with the various parts they take off the car? Downpipes, exhausts, etc.

-How many cat converteres does the LGT have? Did I see mention that there was one in the stock downpipe? I thought the downpipe connected to the cat converter.

-If there is more than one cat converter and I take one or more out of the equation with a custom downpipe, for example, will the car still pass emmissions inspection? (Live in CO)

Do some searching...

You have 3 cats...one in the UP, 2 in the DP...

Whether or not you pass emissions is up to whatever CO does, I think one cat will be fine, that's what i'm doin anyway...

ok guys im here! i have had a few exhaust systems

-all 3 cats, cat back; moroso spiral flow muffler 3 inch pipe for the entire system (lound and a lot of boxer burble)

-all 3 cats, cat back; straight pipes 3 split into 2.25 pipes (about the same with lots of burble)

-no cats, stock cat back (sounds like a honda or yamaha crusier bike, you can hear the exhaust note but nothing crazy)

-no cats, stock resonator and custom magnaflow mufflers (beutifull note)

-no cats, resonator removed and stock cans (very raspy driving)

-no cats, no resonator, custome magnaflow cans (loud but nice sound)

when i can afford it i am going to make a cat back with a resonator i havent picked out yet and hooker areo chamber mufflers

the last for i took video of and i am trying to edit it down to host online.

The Hooker Aero Chambers are nice mufflers. I have one on another car. Reasonably volume level, not quite as quiet as they would have you believe though. They have a nice deep bassy rumble.

I had taken off my prototype Megan catback a week or so ago and was reinstalling it last night. For giggles, when I took off the stock mufflers I started it up with just the resonator in place. It was loud, but not ridiculous, especially since I have no cats. The stock resonator really does a great job of dropping the sound levels.

like stereo systems it's what sounds best to you. go to where they do installations, go to meets, ect. now if the question is what fits best, quality, warranty, looks, then Borla. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Sure, I was skeptical at first, as most probably were, but the hogzawst has made me a believer. If sound is what you are after, this is the cheapest and most cost effective way you could achieve the exact sound you are looking for. Instead of forking out all of that cash for an exhaust that you may end up thinking is too quiet/too loud, simply add or remove some 3/8" washers to achieve your desired sound.

After reviewing a ton of audio and video on the web, now I'm thinking the louder systems might be a little too loud.

Wondering what the sound would do if I changed out only the DP, only the UP, both DP and UP or if I just put on axel-back mufflers rather than a whole catback exhaust...

Have the crucials been previewed anywhere like the Megans have?

No.

Why's that? The catback systems usually have like a 3" pipe, right, which is what lets out the boxer rumble? At higher revs there's less rumble, so the "difference" is less?

I think you mis-understood what I wrote. ;) What I meant by "offering incremental noise" is that they'll get louder as you get higher up in the rev-range. Those particular "straight-through" systems provide progressively more noise - albeit with a change in the "character" of the sound - as the rev-count increases.

So is there a downside to the washer trick? Maybe I should look into what tools I'd need. :)

Unknown as of yet. Although some owners have put a lot of miles on their Hogazawst equipped LGTs, temporally speaking, this is still quite a "new" mod. Whether if there might be long-term consequences (i.e. soot build-up on the undercarrage, rust/water intrusion, etc.) is currently unknown.

Only time will tell....

+

Can't believe no one has said anything else about autospeed exhaust....

:lol: Hey, no fair, I mentioned the Autospeed! ;)

Also, in all fairness, it must be addressed that the Autospeed product currently has two known "issues."

The first is concern about its sway bar relocation demands. The exhaust arrives with a sway bar relocation kit - and some have mentioned that the kit pretty much doubles as a "reinforced mount." :) However, it should be noted that there has yet to be many confirmed fitment with lowered or otherwise suspension-altered vehicles, so you may or may not run into ancillary issues there.

Second, there are now at least two/three reports of various owner's Autospeed's passenger's side (if I remember correctly) canister tip coming too close ("visual defect") to the bumper "cutout." No known resolution as of yet.

Quality-wise, though, I don't think they've gotten anything less than all-out praise from anyone/everyone here on the Forums. They offer a great product, and have shown excellent after-sale support so far.

Wondering what the sound would do if I changed out only the DP, only the UP, both DP and UP or if I just put on axel-back mufflers rather than a whole catback exhaust...

With only an UP change, you won't notice any difference at all, more than likely.

You may note a bit more turbo-spool sound in-cabin, but that truly will come on when you've incorporated at least an aftemarket "shorty" DP, replacing the first of the downstream (and, of course, this is actually cat #2) converters.

If you go fully catless downstream of the turbo, but keep your stock canisters, you may notice a tonal change in the quality of the sound, but your overall exhaust volume should not change much.

Replacing the resonator in the exhaust pipe, even if you retained an otherwise fully stock system, will result in significant changes in the overall tone as well as exhaust loudness of your vehicle. Brother jedimaster has a thread devoted to this modification.

Similarly, if you kept the rest of your system stock, but simply went with aftermarket muffler canisters, yes, you can also expect quite a change in both the exhaust note as well as exhaust loudness.

---

Now, since you're starting to think "piecemeal," well.....

It's worth it to note that upgrading each section of the piping (speaking solely of parts "back" of the third and last factory cat), you can easily build a system that will cost as much as - if not outright more than - many of the marketed cat-back or even turbo-back systems! :eek:

Certainly, it's possible to come in at prices that are about $300 to $600 by either "DYI-ing" this project or having "custom piping" bent and mounted-up by an independent muffler shop, but it is just as likely that you may also wind up spending much, much more - either by going the custom-shop route or by piecing together your own system.

For example, my cat-back setup, consisting of a custom Magnaflow resonated mid-section paired with a Lachute Y (purchased new from our trusted Vendor PLtek), plus a set of *USED/SECOND-HAND* Blitz Nur-Spec Touring canisters (a great deal, which knocked about $250-$300 off their "new" price, and the canisters were literally new!) - and it still cost me about $1200.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSi+WRX and others -- thanks for the continuing volumes of information, I do appreciate it.

Thinking piecemeal only to weigh my options... I presume that a "complete" system would indeed be cheaper in some cases, kind of an economy of scale. Especially since I'll be paying for installation. I can build a computer from the ground up, but the inner workings of my car are something of a mystery to me. :p

One place has just recommended going the Cobb TBE -- but I thought that Cobb's exhaust wasn't out yet. It might be interesting when he calls me back to give me the estimate. ;) (To be fair, this was the performance guy's assistant, not the performance guy himself, so he's likely just mistaken about the brand or something...

harrigan -

No need to thank me - just glad to help. :)

Ayup, Cobb's TBE is definitely not out yet. Unless they've got you confused with a WRX/STi or, like you said, have the make/brand mixed-up. :lol:

As for installation, HONESTLY AND TRULY, if you're capable of turning a wrench ( or a really, really tiny screwdriver ;) ), a cat-back install is a piece of cake, provided that you've got the proper wrenches/sockets, a jack with jackstands or ramps, and some spray liquid penetrating solution.

And also just as sincerely, I think that even a full turbo-back - or a DP - installation, or heck, even an UP installation, is totally also within your technical grasp as long as you properly prepare for it (i.e. read all the associated threads that are archived here, and gather the needed tools). The UP installation is known for being time-consuming and tedious; but technically speaking, it's methodology is straightforward and the procedure itself is not challenging.

:D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Nice sound from the Borla, thanks MaStaMooN. Anyone know how the Borla ranks in terms of aggression / volume compared to the Autospeed set up, all other things being equal?

(No word back from that shop yet... must be still trying to find the Cobb TBE in the store room... ;) )

^ The Borla is probably one of the most - if not THE most - mellow full cat-back systems on the market.

Great product with an excellent warranty, for an awesome price.

The only true items to-note are that visually, it is a bit different from most other systems in that the mufflers are essentially completely hidden from view. This is an aesthetic decision for which you'll have to make for yourself.

Secondly, it does have some of the smallest piping of any aftermarket system on-market. Although it most certainly will not only free up a few horses compared to the more restrictive stock setup and will be more than sufficient for "Stage II" purposes, IMveryHO, if you are planning to upgrade your LGT's turbo, you may want to go for a system that has physically bigger piping.

Archived