LegacyGT.com

changing oil, quick help

tekkitan

This is my first time changing the oil on my subie (myself). I got a Purolator PureOne oil filter (PL14460) and I can't seem to get it on. It it a little bigger than the filter that was on before (some cheapo one from lube-stop). I looked on their web site and the guy at Advance looked up my car and that the part number that came up.

Not sure what to do now :)

2000 Legacy GT Limited

after going a little slower, it seems like it cathes the threads at first, and maybe the oil pan lip hits it and it comes out of the threads. so maybe it is too big. i am afraid if i got get another brand, it still wont be small enough.

Compare it with the filter you just took off. Look at the threads carefully to see if they match in diameter and pitch.

I know Subaru has changed the 2.5 turbo's oil filter a few times. It has to be of small diameter to avoid getting too close to the exhaust plumbing. Perhaps yours is too wide?

You may just have to re-use your old filter until you can order some genuine Subaru filters.

No fram for me, thanks :)

Puralator isn't cheap. It's actually built with more quality than Fram. That is why people tend to lean away from Fram and go for Subaru OEM/Puralator.

I got another Puralator filter (Valvaline MaxLife) which was thinner and worked.

Hmm that funny, I just used that type of filter to change my oil yesterday. Did you make sure you were lining it up with the car's threads correctly? It needs to be perfectly horizantal, turn the filter a couple of times to the right (counterclockwise) to make sure the thread catches and then screw it in (left)

Hmm that funny, I just used that type of filter to change my oil yesterday. Did you make sure you were lining it up with the car's threads correctly? It needs to be perfectly horizantal, turn the filter a couple of times to the right (counterclockwise) to make sure the thread catches and then screw it in (left)

You mean turn it left(counterclockwise) first then right(clockwise) correct?

You may want to bring it with you and compare it to the same filter in another box. Check that it looks exactly the same. Still could be a mis-labled filter in the correct box.

You mean turn it left(counterclockwise) first then right(clockwise) correct?

You may want to bring it with you and compare it to the same filter in another box. Check that it looks exactly the same. Still could be a mis-labled filter in the correct box.

Ugh, sure why not :icon_bigg . I always went with the clock method just to be more sure.

Archived