LegacyGT.com

Life Under 3k... my experiment

dave i have seen similar results but it is much more fun to average 17.7mpg insted of 26mpg. i just cant do it

like your sig. " I paid fer it, imma gonna use it..."

Yeah, I'm more then likely going to go back to driving the way I was after this tank. I just want to see what it can do.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drove from Wheeling, WV back to NY. Kept the c.control on at 65mph. Got 460 miles on the tank @31.5 avg mpg according to dash readout. This drive also included app. 1/2 hour driving stop and go due to construction and accident delays. Dividing the 460 miles by the 15.4 gallons it took to fill car after yields 30 mpg- still not bad.

I would occasionally disengage the clutch, letting the car idle on long downhills to increase mileage. The lack of cats, high state of tune, and perhaps the thermal-dispersant coated intercooler probably account for the good gas mileage. Will be installing Crucial-ised exhaust manifold, coated Injen x-pipe, thermal blanket for turbo, and wrapping the up&dp- expecting a little better mileage as the thermal efficiency is enhanced.

The car is good on gas, especially considering how much power it can put out when wanted.

So Dave...now I can make fun of you...After months of ridicule and disbelief I see that other Chicago folks are falling for my style. Wlel try getting 22 mpg average in Chicago traffic - NOT suburban like yours...and then realize what I have to deal with.

I didn't say I am not going fast. I routinely drive 70 mph on I-90/94 but I just take time getting there by shifting 2000-2500 rpm. It may take a minute more...but I also burn less fuel.

i do not really complain about the fuel economy in this car...but the prices are just ridiculous. And I do not mind the premium. But again...I swallow 25 cents a gallon...but what about 1 dollar more ? No way !

So when is Subaru releasing the hybrid-LGT ?

That would be sweet. Turbocharged gasoline/electric hybrid. Would the greenies be conflicted?

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/hybridcarsreviews/p/2008LexusLS600h.htm

Lexus is saying the 2008 Lexus LS 600h L will have a 5.0-liter V8 engine that will produce approximately 430 horsepower. It will have a 2-stage ECVT.

2008 Lexus 600h 5.0 liter V8 hybrid. Don't you find that obscene ?

So, all you guys who get in the high 20's running at 80 mph...what kind of mileage do you get when you turn around and go home uphill? :icon_bigg

:lol: true dat

I get around 26ish most of the time cruising at 75.

I try to keep it in the lower RPMs and be responsible, but this week I have been having a little bit more fun so I expect my mileage to be around the high 17s/low 18s when I fill up next in a couple weeks.

drove from Rochester, NY to NYC last week, about 360 miles, got 27.5mpg (computer) @ 80mph CC with A/C and 1 stop cause i drunk too much water. i did, however, did fill up 10 gal 89 and ~6 gal 93 before heading down though. $3.21/93oct is madd expensive

on the way back up, i got alot less @23.4 mpg(computer) with a full tank of 93 cause i left from NJ and gas was MUCH cheaper down there. $3.02/93oct .this time no AC (cracked sunroof to pull air in through vents) and NO CC @ ~93mph. (empty and clean roads, sunny, no rain and 72deg)

the net elevation between rochester and NJ/NYC is almost negligible, so apparently 10mph puts THAT much of a dent on fuel.

i usually get 22.1mpg commuting to school, 15mi all local.

since the switch to 10% ethonal here - i've seen my mileage drop by about 2mpg - highway and city driving.

i'm still averaging 23-25, but used to hit 27 fairly regularly. Oh and by the way - dont install a boost gauge or BOV if you're looking for savings - it's way to much fun to watch the needle go up and down and here woosh noises.

As a family we only drive the wifeys Land Bruiser on the weekend 89octmin....12city/16hwy.

Avg....about 13.9

29 gal tank

Once I get back in the LGT on monday it's like driving a Hybrid (economy wise)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

So, all you guys who get in the high 20's running at 80 mph...what kind of mileage do you get when you turn around and go home uphill? :icon_bigg

The same !

Tailwind FTW ! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

As a family we only drive the wifeys Land Bruiser on the weekend 89octmin....12city/16hwy.

Avg....about 13.9

29 gal tank

Once I get back in the LGT on monday it's like driving a Hybrid (economy wise)

I have no sympathy. I also drive a K1500 Chevy Suburban. 10-11mpg City (if I'm lucky) 17 Highway. Talk about pain at the pump, I have a 42 gallon tank.

I have to say though, I've made it from Long Island to South Carolina on one tank without stopping for gas!

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I get 25-26 mpg most of the time (not using the onboard MPG calculator), but 95% of my driving is freeway commute time. And we (greater Denver area) are just under $3.00/gal for 91. 350 miles per tank is normal.

In my '02 I found 80 was the magic speed where mpg drops. I could do 75 and get 26-27 at 85+ it was 24-20. I do have a GT so it has shorter hwy legs.

I need to find the rpm where I make peak torque. Anyone know where that is for a stock '02?

Peace,

Greg

lol you guys make me laugh.... im not sure of the current dollar convertion but in new zealand where i live. its 1.80 per Litre of 96 octane fuel... i.e baru costs $120 to fill it.... complaing about your $1.14 for almost 4 ltrs. haha funny stuff cause this fuel price is for ever accelerating the dollars...

just my 10c worth

but yes indeed, driving a car outta the turbo zones is hard... extreme self disipline required, when all it wants to do is haul away up to some ungodly speed.

lol you guys make me laugh.... im not sure of the current dollar convertion but in new zealand where i live. its 1.80 per Litre of 96 octane fuel... i.e baru costs $120 to fill it.... complaing about your $1.14 for almost 4 ltrs. haha funny stuff cause this fuel price is for ever accelerating the dollars...

just my 10c worth

Yeah but you can get all the sweet JDM versions of cars :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

jdm versions? we can? or u can? yeah but remember, totaly off the record nz has a real problem with importing old cars... cars can be good but think about it.. over time all there is on the roads is oldies.... i mean to see a new school as wrx or legacy is pretty rare when u can get a 2.0 turbo legacy 89 - 95 for like a thousand dollars or similar.. dont know if u would call that an advantage. car part retailers have a field day everything always breaks down.

Average for Wednesday is 24.6

Average Thursday down to 23.4 after no highway driving and about 20 miles of stop and go type driving around town.

I tried driving under 3K rpms. Got easily 3-4 mpg better than my normal habits. However, that lasted about one week. I came to the realization that I didn't buy this car to save gas... I bought it to have fun. Driving under 3k rpms all the time at light throttle is about as much fun as poking at my eyes with a rusty fork! Basically, the couple of bucks more a week I spend in gas is more than worth it to me.

Archived