LegacyGT.com

Looking into ADRs, opinions, anyone have them?

CasopoliS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ya, i'm not a fan of those. i dunno, i love my rims. the fact they were freaking cheap makes me love them even more. i'm unwilling to spend the money for race wheels that aren't neon yellow or some other funky color. :( i'm looking at the look than the weight, however, i'd love to get some TRUE racing rims and tires..
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

You should check www.wheelweights.net I think you'll find that even Prodrive P1's are 23.4 lbs in 18" x 7.5"

I wouldn't call those cheap !

"Generally", cheaper wheels will be the heavy ones.

Also wheel weights at some other sites (not as good as wheelweights.net) like:

http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/47519.phtml

http://www.gti-vr6.net/wiki/index.php?title=Wheels

Places like Tire Rack are also starting to list wheel weights, although not for every wheel. I hear that they will give you theweight for any of them if you call.

Ron

Yeah....Prodrives aren't cheap - but auyp, some aren't exactly "lightweight," either. :D And their "lightweight" ones cost an extra bundle, LOL! :lol:

*_For some makes_*, though, again, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies - for the heavier Prodrives, like the P1 and PFF7, these suckers trade-off weight for being built like the brick shithouses they are...and are a favorite of those of us who must deal with rather imperfect pavement year-round. ;)

---

How durable are those Drags?

Anyone got any durability tales - positive or negative - about the ADRs?

Those are all some damn fine lookin' rims! :) Just gotta wonder what our roads might do to them, brother CasopoliS !

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yea the roads are bad. I should have jumped on those ADR Velocitys last night... they wend for uner $400 shipped at about midnight. I am just afraid they will be bricks.

Yea I am also worried about the Drag wheels.... that light for a cheap rim scares me. There are a lot of ADRs out there, but I think they are all heavy. I think I am just going to keep my eye out for good deals on the forum and/or on Ebay for rims.

Yeah....Prodrives aren't cheap - but auyp, some aren't exactly "lightweight," either. :D And their "lightweight" ones cost an extra bundle, LOL! :lol:

*_For some makes_*, though, again, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies - for the heavier Prodrives, like the P1 and PFF7, these suckers trade-off weight for being built like the brick shithouses they are...and are a favorite of those of us who must deal with rather imperfect pavement year-round. ;)

---

How durable are those Drags?

Anyone got any durability tales - positive or negative - about the ADRs?

Those are all some damn fine lookin' rims! :) Just gotta wonder what our roads might do to them, brother CasopoliS !

Roads around Cleveland appear to be better than around Detroit!! Folks from there bitch about the roads here!!

I can understand the Prodrives with the weight and the multi-spoke. If you want wheels for off-road & rally stuff, you need the strength.

Before I got the Rotas, I was considering a set of Koseis from Tire Rack. What made me nervous was that, although they were ~14#s, they were cast, and had relatively thin spokes. In my mind, I would feel much more confident of a sub 15# wheel being forged and not cast. Maybe if I lived in AZ with smooth roads, but not here.

I also had heard about Rotas cracking, but that Rota was good about replacement. I normally like 5-spoke wheels, but I went with the 7-spoke SDRs (plus they were a great deal from SubyDude on Ebay) as I feel there is a bit more strength with more spokes. After about 20K as my summer wheels, so far.....so good.

Ron

Roads around Cleveland appear to be better than around Detroit!! Folks from there bitch about the roads here!!

:D

Point *_WELL_* taken, bro!

I keep forgetting "from whence you hail"! :lol:

Ugh....the recent spat of constructions down here has put us pretty near your level, though (although it's definitely true that you have to constantly wage your battle, whereas we can at least look forward to things getting better, if only slightly more so!). This "Euclid Corridor" project truly has been nothing but a pain in our asses!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I just got those in 17's and silver. lol.

They would look great in 18's, but I don't want to worry about stiff tires, cheap rims, and potholes. That and there are more value tire options, used tires, etc for 17's. My Potenzas still have decent tread too.... so I can swap them.

FWIW, there is a similar thread in this topic:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36536

Shows some different ADR wheels. Weight of the 18x7.5" is 20#s, which isn't "bad" (but too much for me....I won't buy wheels unless they are lighter than stock)

to compensate for the stock weight lost, I'll be upgrading to a APS 55 soon.

aps_turbo.jpg.146cbf9f0f9f98330092ea494b265e6f.jpg

Well I broke my own rule that I would never get fake bullets. I really don't like them, but I enjoy the way this rim looks and for the price I will have to accept them for now. Hopefully down the road these will get replaced with GOOD rims, but for now they are a good in between.

17 x 7 40mm offset. Going to run my stock potenzas for now.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/26/11/3a_1_bl.JPG

They should look good on the LGT.

Here is a thread with them on a Scion in 18"

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122950&sid=d8336ac7a7ebd0565b5e3751da468e78

EDIT: I forgot to add that I got these for $395 SHIPPED from Cali. The auction had the buy-it-now option, and the best offer option. I was going to use the buy-it-now but then noticed they had a "best offer" option. So for the hell of it I submitted an offer $10 less and about an hour later they accepted! These are selling for $50 more by every other seller on Ebay, so I did not want to puch my luck. Anyway... for those that see the "best offer" option, try it out.... it might just work!

Cas - I think that'll look great, bro! :)

Can't wait for pix! :D

Good choice, I think they will look great. I had the Velocitie's on my SRT4. Nice quality wheel but it was heavy as an anchor.

Be carefull with the offset. Remember, the lower the number, more tire/wheel sticking out past the fenders. I think stock is 55mm???? can anyone verify that?

I went from a 44 offset stock on the dodge, to a 35 offset.....they looked hedious and I was hating myself for it.

Good choice, I think they will look great. I had the Velocitie's on my SRT4. Nice quality wheel but it was heavy as an anchor.

Be carefull with the offset. Remember, the lower the number, more tire/wheel sticking out past the fenders. I think stock is 55mm???? can anyone verify that?

I went from a 44 offset stock on the dodge, to a 35 offset.....they looked hedious and I was hating myself for it.

Yes, the stock offset is 55mm.

But, if you go with wider rims, you need to adjust the offset. For practical purposes, one inch is 26mm (actually 25.4, but close enough).

As an example, I bought 17x7.5" Rotas in a 48mm offset. The wheels are a 1/2-inch wider than stock, which is about 13mm, so going from a stock 55mm offset wheel to a 48mm offset wheel is just over a 1/2" offset change. basically, going with a 1/2-inch wider wheel (13mm), a 7mm offset change puts the wheel at close to the original offset, all things considered.

When looking at offset, you also must consider the rim width versus the stock (7")width.

Ron

I understand about increasing rim width means the possibility of tire/strut interference.

My point is, us as little of an offset change as possible to achieve your results. The offset affects the scrub radius too. Scrub radius has a big affect on general handling characteristics. Some good, some bad.

Thanks Ron for posting that.

You're welcome!!

I reread my post, and it may be confusing (!!) for some . Anyway, what Rota did with the 7mm less offset with the ~13mm wider rim on my wheels was a good decision. Doing this, it also keeps the backspace the same, so the wider wheel is not closer to the strut.

With this type of wheel and offset, I don't see where the increased scrub radius is enough to worry about.

FWIW, back in the early '90s I was one of the first to get aftermarket wheels for my '89 SHO. The wheels had the same offset as stock, but were 1" wider (16x7 versus 15x6). I immediately had a big issue with the tire hitting the fenerwell lip. I wasn't "up" on offset & backsace back in those days, and the tire store begged off, sayng that the wheels were the "proper offset". An immediate fix with a BFH, then a later permanent fix at a body shop that cut the inner lip, solved it, but I now realize that those wheels should have had less offset with the wider rim.

Ron

Tracking on the wheels shows 43lbs for 2 boxes. They are shipped in 2's.... and strapped together. So the rims are 21.5 lbs each minus the packaging. I think it is safe to say they will be under 20 lbs each. I don't know what the stockers weigh... anyone know?

Archived