-No option to get navigation with a manual transmission unless you get

the Spec B

-No color option on the Spec B

-No choice of mixing interior colors with exterior colors

-And I just saw a list of available exterior color options for the 2007

models. Please tell me it is incorrect that there will be two blues,

gray, silver, white, and black. All with no option to mix and match

with interior colors.

How can you offer such a sporty car without the option of at least red?

What a dull lineup. I'm sure this decision was based on sales figures

for the Garnet Red Legacys, but the answer is to try a more vibrant

color, not further limit choices. It's an exciting car, sell it as such.

Additionally, a recent incident has left me wanting for a tire pressure

monitoring system. Please consider installing this safety feature in

future models.

Thank you.

This is the response I got back:

Dear Mr. Bacis:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are happy to learn that

you are overall pleased with your 2005 Legacy 2.5GT. We appreciate that

you have been recommending our vehicles to your friends.

Feedback from Subaru owners is our best source for improvements needed

and/or wanted in our vehicles. If you have any future suggestions,

please pass them along. They are very helpful to us!!

Your comments will be noted in our Customer/Dealer Services database.

We use such information to track the performance of our products with

the intentions of improving upon them. We will also forward your

suggestion to our Product Planning Department for their future consideration.

In the past, input from our owners has been helpful in initiating

changes to our newer models. We hope to continually improve our products and

appreciate your recommendations.

Subaru, like all car manufacturers, review the sales of models when

making decisions on future models. The sales of the 2005 Legacy 2.5GT

Wagons with a manual transmission were very, very low. This is why we

discontinued this feature for the 2006 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd Wagon. The same

goes for cloth seats in the 2005 Legacy 2.5GT models. There was not

enough demand or sales of the non-ltd 2005 Legacy 2.5GT models to keep

these models around for another model year.

Just like specific models, sales of specific colors are reviewed. If a

color is not selling well, it would be unproductive to continue

offering it. Now, as you state we could have offered a different Red. I can

only assume that this was considered.

Unfortunately, we have to limit the options we make available,

especially with matching of exterior colors with interior colors. We offered

the 2006 B9 Tribeca models in every exterior color with both interior

colors. This made about 90 different combinations and this was for only

4 different models. It ended up that most dealers did not even receive

1 of each different combination. If we were to do this with the Legacy

model line, we would have about 150 different combinations. As such,

we limit the color options. These decisions are without a doubt the

most difficult to make.

Information on our future models is not yet available. But, I would

think it likely that in the future all Subaru models will be equipped

with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It is also quite likely that our

government will demand this of every new car.

Thanks again for your time and comments. If you have any further

suggestions, please let us know!

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BS. "we have to limit our choices... Like every other car company." Then why does subaru sell less cars as a brand, than most other main players sell under a single model name. Ford sells more Mustangs than Subaru sells TOTAL!

PURE BS. this guy should spin for the government...

thank you, drive through.

damn that red was one of the best colors on a car I have seen in a while. ABP and GRP were the best things they had. 2 colors that changed their tone depending on the lighting and always looked so deep and bright. its a shame. I cry

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

Below I have copied a letter that I have composed to SOA, not directly responding to their above response, but with that in mind as I composed this.

I tried submitting this, but their web form was "having technical difficulties", probably due to the fact that I indicated that I am not a current customer... :meh: Probably more likely that this is WAY over their 1500 character text limit. I'll have to edit... and you all know how much I like to be brief.

Dear Subaru of America.

I am writing today to express honest dismay at the continuing decline of options on the Legacy product, the GT particularly.

Financially, I have been waiting and saving for a new sport sedan for more than a year, and am planning to purchase some product before the fourth quarter of this calendar year.

I have been watching the Legacy GT product very closely for that period of time, and simultaneously been very impressed, and very dismayed. I have been researching and staying current. I have also visited several dealers, and discussed availability and options with the sales reps.

I have no doubt that you receive feedback from your customers, but I am concerned that certain availability issues are turning customers away, such as myself, and doubt that creates as much feedback. Such is one of the purposes for me to send this letter.

I have been very concerned with the declining configurability of the Legacy line, GT in particular. I was dismayed last year to find out that the Legacy GT non-limited was being cancelled, as well as the Manual transmission being withheld from the Legacy GT wagon, while being maintained in the Outback XT, and canadian market Legacy GT wagon. I was most dismayed at the removal of interior color choice from the 2006 models, which 2005 had.

I was intrigued by the 06 Legacy Spec B, but disappointed in the substantial price increase, mandatory single color choice, and mandatory Navigation system. It seemed understandable as a limited edition car, but not a justifiable price increase over the Legacy GT's value for me. I think the 07 Legacy Spec B is in the same category, but even more inexplicable that, now that it is a model line unto itself, that there is still such a restricted option list, and still no color choice over an even less attractive color in 07 than in 06.

I am a performance oriented buyer, but also a detail-oriented one. I would be right in line for a Spec B, if it could be configured a bit more to my taste, now that it is a trim-line model. It is simply too expensive a product not to have the choice of color, considering the premium sedan alternatives from other manufacturers, more and more of which are becoming available with All-Wheel-Drive. I would be interested in the sporting advantages of the Spec B over the GT Limited, if the restrictions and resulting price increase weren't so severe. Bilstein suspension, 18" wheels, and 6-speed manual transmission are all attractive to me, but not enough to excuse my disapproval of Diamond Gray paint over blue ultra-suede seats and cost premium over the Legacy GT Limited, based on the price difference on the 06 models.

I had held out hope for the value-rich Legacy GT limited for 2007. I am greatly disappointed that the color choices are more limited there, too. I want a black interior, but the new Newport Blue is paired with the taupe interior. Regal Blue appears no longer to be available with the Legacy GT, and Garnet Red seems to be discontinued all-together. Newport Blue looks very nice in photos, and Garnet red would have been my second choice. I am not impressed at all with grayscale paint colors on any car, including Legacy's Obsidian Black, Diamond Gray, Brilliant Silver, or Satin White.

Since my color choices are not available, I am put off considering a 2007 Legacy GT, despite it being my favored technical sedan platform. If I am either considering other new sport sedans or buying a used Legacy GT instead of a new one. It is a disappointment after waiting, and seeing other options, like folding rear seats, and auxiliary audio input added to the 2007 Legacy, which are features I would use, and am glad to see on the 2007 Legacys. I was also disappointed, though, to see something as daily useful as memory settings for the power seats being restricted to the Spec B model, rather than being installed on all Legacy models with power seats. That has much wider appeal than the single-configuration Spec B.

I realize that choices must be made, and lines drawn, but in this case, I think the lines have been drawn entirely too restrictively, and have made the Legacy GT doubtful as a new car purchase, due to options of color choice and option availability. I can only imagine how other potential customers must think when comparing the Legacy GT to it's more configureable competition, but I can imagine they make the same judgments that I do, on some level. I also doubt you hear from many potential customers when they choose the competition over the Legacy GT, on these grounds.

I understand also that inventory of all the permutations of optional features can be an issue of logistics and dealer interaction, but you don't even offer alternatives to be special ordered from the factory. I could understand only stocking the more popular configurations, but allowing customers to order alternative combinations, such as a Legacy GT sedan in Newport Blue, with a charcoal interior, and a 5-speed manual transmission. OR conversely offering that combination with the Spec B, if the Legacy GT is limited to the taupe interior. The charcoal interior, in my opinion, is sportier, and on a performance-oriented car, such as a turbocharged, manual transmission Legacy GT sport sedan, belongs there.

I am sorry, but my enthusiasm for purchasing a new Subaru, after more than a year of planning and waiting, is now in great doubt due to restrictive decision making, not due to equipment or options that are non-existent.

It is unfortunate, because the Legacy product, mechanically, is an excellent platform, and one of few of it's kind that offers a value-priced sport sedan that (and sport wagon that formerly) offers a manual transmission and AWD. It is frustrating to be turned off by color and option preferences.

Most sincerely, in a constructively critical sense.

[name withheld on this forum]

Man, I hate this news. GRP was my prefered color. I was looking into buying a 2005 GT limited GRP with ivory interior, but for other reasons it did not work out (including lack of audio options). I seem to remember that the GRP/Ivory combination was like 4% of Legacy sales - the lowest going. But it sucks as it was my favorite.

I understand why suburu would want to limit order configuration for dealer stock orders - as I would guess that most cars are built to a pool replenishment order at the port of entry, which the dealers then pull from, but still if I walked into a dealer and stated I wanted a build to order car and I am willing to wait 4 months for it, then why can't I get my rare garnet red pearl with ivory?

Oh well, may have to get an Acura TL instead.... NO Wait! Just looked up the Acura site and they only offer four colors! Royal Blue pearl, Alabaster Silver Metalic, Nighthawk Black Pearl and Anthracite Metalic. That's only one color and three greys.

What is the world coming to? It'll soon be like the Henry Ford days. "You can have any color you want as long as it is black..."

I'll have to edit... and you all know how much I like to be brief.
:lol: :lol:

Go get 'em!!

Clearly, the answer to this is to allow customers to order a car, rather than be forced to take what's in inventory. Then we could get all the GRP 6MT LGT Wagoons we want.

Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

Man, I hate this news. GRP was my prefered color. I was looking into buying a 2005 GT limited GRP with ivory interior, but for other reasons it did not work out (including lack of audio options). I seem to remember that the GRP/Ivory combination was like 4% of Legacy sales - the lowest going. But it sucks as it was my favorite.

I understand why suburu would want to limit order configuration for dealer stock orders - as I would guess that most cars are built to a pool replenishment order at the port of entry, which the dealers then pull from, but still if I walked into a dealer and stated I wanted a build to order car and I am willing to wait 4 months for it, then why can't I get my rare garnet red pearl with ivory?

What is the world coming to? It'll soon be like the Henry Ford days. "You can have any color you want as long as it is black..."

If they still had Garnet Red for this year, I would order a Newport Blue with taupe (ivory, as you call it), and you could order a Garnet Red with charcoal, and we could SWAP the damn interior panels, and do it ourselves.

But SOA kyboshing the Garnet Red puts a crimp in that idea, because at least the center console peices are different for 07 than 06... so that would be extra cost and unused parts.

I will trade anyone within reasonable travel distance... if you want a car with a taupe interior that comes with black, I want a Newport Blue car with a black interior, that only comes with Taupe... We can have a wrench day and swap interior panels.

You can have any color you want, as long as it is the same as everyone else. kind of like pop culture. everyone wants to be unique... just like all their freinds.

Well, I just checked and EVERY major competitor for the Legacy GT has at least red and blue as exterior color options (OK, red and purple in the case of the Mazdaspeed6) and allow choice of interior color as well. LAME.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Why do they even offer the Taupe interior? Every customer that has is in their car (Legacy, Forrester, Tribeca) complain about how light it is and how badly it shows dirt, they should keep the exterior color choices (i.e. Red, Blue) and add a dark, metallic green....and build them all with Charcoal interiors...

Iwannasportsedan,

Well done and am quite intrested in their response.

If I can make a suggestion or two...if not ignore me.

Comparisions to the competitors just vague ones like those mentioned above could be all that is needed. But the letter reads as a rant versus concerned consumer. It needs to be broken up of what you like/praises...then get into your negatives. Cut down on the disappointments. It gets redundant and become overwhelming...

Opie: I would be ok with that. Charcoal interiors all around would be fine by me... taupe on outback, maybe...

Sponge: Thanks for the editorial tips... worked on the letter earlier today, but I haven't gotten back to editing it... I will take your suggestions and trim it down a bit so that it will fit through SOA's narrow e-mail slot.

I'll offer a dissenting opinion. While I do believe that SOA needs to offer some more "exciting" color choices, they are not in the position to offer countless color combos. I work as a sales manager for a delivery food service company and we are always adding new items and dropping our poor selling items. There are always people that ask for dropped items, but we simply cannot afford to stock everything, for lack of space and resources. The same thing applies to dealers. Since Subaru doesn't sell that many cars relative to some other car makers, their dealers just cannot afford to have a bunch of slow moving color combos sitting around taking up space and costing them money in flooring charges.

Are the current color offerings the best choices? Maybe, maybe not. If SOA is still intent on elevating their brand image to an Audi/BMW level in the next few years, one of the things they do have to jazz up their image. Appearance and color can play a pretty big role here. Both of the aforementioned German brands offer at least one color that could be described as edgy and bright. Laguna Seca Blue (that light, bright BMW blue used on the E46 M3's) comes to mind. Similarly, both brands also offered bright yellow exteriors at one time or another. I remember reading a while ago about Dodge offering a nearly fluorescent yellow-green color on the Neon when it was first introduced. They used that color in all their print and TV ads. It was very attention grabbing. They figured that it would comprise less than 1% of all the Neon's they sold. They still offered it, because it made an impact in their ads and drew attention to the car. I think SOA needs a similar impact color, or at least a similar strategy.

I however cannot fault them for axing GRP. Sure, red can be an attention grabbing color, but GRP is a pretty muted red. It kind of sits in no-mans-land. Not bright enough for those who want their car to be instantly noticed, but still "red" enough to turn off those that want to slide in under the radar. You guys can bitch all you want about it being dropped, but I highly doubt that a statistically signifigant number of consumers will miss it.

Frankly, I am pretty impressed that SOA responded so quickly to the email of member from this board, and with more than a simple form letter. I think their guy offers a well reasoned and cogent perspective. Unfortunately, no manufacturer can be all things to all people. Sometimes you just have to play it down the middle and hope to catch as many people there as you can. IMHO the biggest part of the LGT's appeal is it's price versus performance. SOA could certainly offer more color combos, but that would increase their costs. If they past on those costs to consumers and everyone had to pay more for their LGT, regardless of prefered color combo, would they lose more sales than they would gain from the few sales of oddball colors? Maybe, maybe not, but I cannot fault them for reducing or keeping costs in line to not have to find out.

As an example, my wife and I are seriously considering a B9 Tribeca to replace her Mazda6. She really likes dark blue and Regal Blue Pearl would be perfect, but it's not available, so we are just going to pick another color, probably Titanium Silver Metallic. Most people out there will do the same thing. Anyways, I feel the pain of potential buyers who really loved the color, but I'm pretty sure you can get past it and find another combo that works.

I'll offer a dissenting opinion. While I do believe that SOA needs to offer some more "exciting" color choices, they are not in the position to offer countless color combos. I work as a sales manager for a delivery food service company and we are always adding new items and dropping our poor selling items. There are always people that ask for dropped items, but we simply cannot afford to stock everything, for lack of space and resources. The same thing applies to dealers. Since Subaru doesn't sell that many cars relative to some other car makers, their dealers just cannot afford to have a bunch of slow moving color combos sitting around taking up space and costing them money in flooring charges.

I appreciate your points, and they are valid.

However, they are not the strategy that will grow business. Making decisions is a matter of course. We are talking about what are good decisions, and what are bad decisions, and not all decisions are good ones.

We are not asking for countless color combinations. Four grayscales and one blue, and no option to change the interior color is rediculously slim.

We aren't, at least I am not, asking for them to stock EVERY permutation at every dealer. Special Order capability would be enough. I will order and wait for a car. I will not settle for something I am not satisfied with in a NEW product. Cars are durable goods, and I can buy used if I want that kind of restriction.

You mentioned that in your business, you add some things, and subtract others. Subaru only subtracts, and doesn't seem keen to add, and it doesn't seem to listen to what it's customers want. Only to themselves, and what they feel like offering. I don't buy products made that way.

Are the current color offerings the best choices? Maybe, maybe not. If SOA is still intent on elevating their brand image to an Audi/BMW level in the next few years, one of the things they do have to jazz up their image. Appearance and color can play a pretty big role here. Both of the aforementioned German brands offer at least one color that could be described as edgy and bright. Laguna Seca Blue (that light, bright BMW blue used on the E46 M3's) comes to mind. Similarly, both brands also offered bright yellow exteriors at one time or another. I remember reading a while ago about Dodge offering a nearly fluorescent yellow-green color on the Neon when it was first introduced. They used that color in all their print and TV ads. It was very attention grabbing. They figured that it would comprise less than 1% of all the Neon's they sold. They still offered it, because it made an impact in their ads and drew attention to the car. I think SOA needs a similar impact color, or at least a similar strategy.

Completely agree with you here.

I however cannot fault them for axing GRP. Sure, red can be an attention grabbing color, but GRP is a pretty muted red. It kind of sits in no-mans-land. Not bright enough for those who want their car to be instantly noticed, but still "red" enough to turn off those that want to slide in under the radar. You guys can bitch all you want about it being dropped, but I highly doubt that a statistically signifigant number of consumers will miss it.

GRP was not the boldest red, but it was the boldest Legacy color on the pallette (which says something in itself.) Now it is gone.

What color should someone pick who wants to have a sporty-looking car?

Silver? Boring. Every car on the road is silver. Black? Dramatic, but ultimately monolithic, and masks the car too much, and too hard to take care of. Diamond Gray? All the work of black without the drama, and nearly as boring as silver. White? Nice, but not sporty. Blue? I WANT BLUE, but I don't want a taupe interior. Back at square one.

GRP was not only the boldest color, it was the only bold color with a charcoal interior. Now they have nothing.

Frankly, I am pretty impressed that SOA responded so quickly to the email of member from this board, and with more than a simple form letter. I think their guy offers a well reasoned and cogent perspective. Unfortunately, no manufacturer can be all things to all people. Sometimes you just have to play it down the middle and hope to catch as many people there as you can. IMHO the biggest part of the LGT's appeal is it's price versus performance. SOA could certainly offer more color combos, but that would increase their costs. If they past on those costs to consumers and everyone had to pay more for their LGT, regardless of prefered color combo, would they lose more sales than they would gain from the few sales of oddball colors? Maybe, maybe not, but I cannot fault them for reducing or keeping costs in line to not have to find out.

It is admirable that it was a written response, but it was complete corporate-line spin. Of course they are not going to say "Oops. We Screwed up. Nothing we can do about that now... Sorry, Suck it up!"

Price versus performance is good. But if I am dissappointed with the way my car looks when I see it, that is NOT owner satisfaction.

AGAIN, we are not asking for oddball colors!!! A simple red, with black interior. Newport Blue IS their new color. If that had a black interior, I would have much less problem with this whole thing. It still urks me that there is NO CHOICE.

Do you manage your business successfully by offering your customers as LITTLE CHOICE in your product as possible, REGARDLESS of the choices they ask for? How long do you think that strategy will work?

These bean counters are in it for the cost savings, and the bottom line. Not to sell their product on it's merits. As long as they operate that way, they will not sell their product to me. I buy on merits.

As an example, my wife and I are seriously considering a B9 Tribeca to replace her Mazda6. She really likes dark blue and Regal Blue Pearl would be perfect, but it's not available, so we are just going to pick another color, probably Titanium Silver Metallic. Most people out there will do the same thing. Anyways, I feel the pain of potential buyers who really loved the color, but I'm pretty sure you can get past it and find another combo that works.

I had a red Probe GT once. It was darker and even more subdued than GRP, (electric currant red) but I liked it alright. I REALLY wanted a deep blue one, but couldn't find one while I was looking. It was a used car, so I did suck it up. But every time I saw a blue one, or any car painted that deep blue, I said to myself, I wish I had that color. I like that color.

I have a bright blue Ranger now, with a saddle tan interior. Again, used, but I wish it had grey. Blue and Tan just don't jive as well as blue and grey or blue and black. It is a truck... I don't care ENOUGH about it to worry too much.

But, I am preparing for my first NEW car. I know that I am particular, and that it stays with me after the purchase. If I don't get what I am looking for, I will have a small thorn perpetually in my enjoyment of the car.

I WON'T pay new car prices for that. I can buy another used car for that thorn, and save the depreciation cost, and not give Subaru and artificially inflated demand statistic to justify this STUPIDITY.

I know that is not a statistically significant argument for subaru, but there is more to life than whatever the mean standard deviation wants.

And as long as they don't poll the people who are TURNED OFF of their product due to these decisions, they can have no idea if their decisions are the right ones or the wrong ones.

Decision making takes common sense, and some forethought. BOTH seem to be missing from SOA. Only blind accounting. You can't please everyone all the time, that is true... but pissing people off needlessly, or for a pathetic reason is something else.

FHI does sell blue with black interior in Japan... ALL the posted Newport Blue 07 JDM pics have black interiors... along with a LOT of other stuff we never see here. I wonder why they do that? Maybe to cater to their customers? Why else would one be in business?

Henry Ford (IIRC) also once said, that a company that is only in the business of making money is a poor business indeed.

You make good points IwannaSportSedan. I understand your point of view, I was just presenting a counterpoint. It is kind of ironic that you bring up Henry Ford at the end, since his first real car, the Model T, was available in any color you could possibly want.... as long as it was black! :lol:

I think we are on the same page that SOA isn't offering the right colors. I think there are an adequate number of choices, they just aren't the right choices. One thing they could offer, as I offer my customers, is special orders. I don't charge extra, but they know to expect a longer wait time. In SOA's case, I think it perfectly reasonable to offer special order color combos (ie: black interior with blue exterior) with a special build surcharge, maybe say $500-$1000. That way the people who really want it their way can show with their wallets that they are truely serious. The people who are willing to buy off the rack can continue to pay the current rate.

As a dealer I can count on 1 hand the number of GRPs I've sold. I can also attest to the customers dislike of Charcoal leather, especially in the summer. The overwhelming complain about the Taupe was the wood trim (which has been addressed for 07). I also sell Acura and can attest that in the TL Anthracite (gray), Alabaster Silver, Nighthawk Black and White Diamond Peral are by far the best sellers. The Desert Mist (gold) and Redondo Red sell terribly. Also, Acura offers 4 interior colors: Ebony (black), Parchment(taupe-y), Camel(butterscotch), Quartz(gray) and the Ebony and Parch are the most popular and probably close to 50/50.

I prefer Taupe myself b/c it makes the interior feel more open, which is important when most of my customers are cross-shopping the Mazda6, Accord, and Camry all of which are larger.

Consider this year almost a carry over, sure we get interior tweaks but the real "bling" will happen next year with the facelifted Leg/OB/B9 and the redesigned Impreza/Forester.

FWIW, I agree that Subaru can't offer every color under the sun. But this new color lineup is just about as bland as you can get. Two blues (I do like the Newport Blue at least) and four shades of gray?

Maybe the Garnet Red was not the right red color (though I absolutely love it) - or maybe, and this is probably more likely, Subaru has not gotten the right people to buy the LGT. Remember that the enthusiasts on Legacygt.com are a small minority of Legacy buyers.

I just don't see how they can not offer a red on a sport sedan. The Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS, and Mazda 6 all come in red - two different reds in the case of the BMW!

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Having leased a vehicle with a tan leather interior (VW Passat), I will NEVER again lease/purchase one. They are far too difficult to keep clean. I'll take black leather any day, tint my windows, and use a sun blocker in the windshield during the summer.
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

I'm disappointed.

I wanted my car to look something like this...

http://www.sccpr.org/Legacy/leoleg3.jpg

And since I need all the headroom I can get, I also wanted an LGT w/o a sunroof.

Subaru has shot me down on both counts, unless I buy used. That sucks.

BTW phoenix96: No more 3.0 R VDC Outback as well.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2007.html#colors

This is really bad...

No more RGP....

The 3.0R VDC Outback was a really great sporty, comfortable and reliable car...

Way to go Subaru!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

No wonder the sales are not as expected

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, mA

I don't think anyone is suggesting offering a million colors. The point is, people should have a choice of which interior with which exterior, and, there should be a wider spectrum of color choices.

As others have pointed out, make someone special order it. That is ok, but at least give them the option.

I'll say it again, this kind of nickel and dimeing will only perpetuate Subaru's image as low rent.

It will make it harder to sell 30K cars, when you can get a hyundai with more options, better colors and cheaper.

And more Horsepower too!!! I believe the Azeera has 265hp HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived