LegacyGT.com

CEL and blinking CC: P1518

ilh

Is there a reason why CEL and CC came on last night while it was raining? I don't get it.....lol

The car drove fine.

this is where my slipping belt question comes in. Can a belt slipping cause a cylinder/cylinders to misfire. Excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question. My CEL and CC lights came on for the first time when I was getting it sideways in about 5 inches of snow....over and over for about an hour. I had snow packed up all over my car and I wonder if this was possibly the cause. I had a guy check the codes and two cylinders had misfired. Car still runs great but after resetting the ecu, the lights are back on again after 4 or 5 days. They came back on after getting it sideways in the dirt yesterday.

Does this ring any bells for anyone who has a better understanding on how stuff works?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i forget why it happens, but yes, you driving around and getting snow all build into your tires and brakes will throw a CEL. let it melt off and drive the car for about 3 drive cycles and most likely it'll go away. as for CEL due to gas cap, that is the most common CEL. like the tech told you, drive the car for a few days and then see.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

dealer found nada today after about 1.5 hours of checking it out....they didn't charge me which was nice but I know it won't be long before the CEL comes back on. The CEL came on because of a misfire but they could not find a reason for the misfire. At least they didn't tell me it was bad gas.

I had a similar issue to this that worsened over time. I was getting the CEL when i would start it up then it would go away. The problem then turned into intermittent starting issues with no CEL. As of right now my car will not stay running. i think that our cars are having issues with either the immobilizer or the starter relay.

my CEL came back on again today while driving down the road around 60MPH. I had been in 5th gear for a while and my speed had been constant for more than a couple of miles. New tank of Shell gas this morning and the gas cap is tight. Mine has been a misfire on both driver side cylinders every time.

I have another appointment with Subaru on Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...
I started my car to go to the store a bit ago and to my surprise there was a CEL out of the blue. I checked it with my AP and it was p1518. So I called the dealership and they said it was an IAC problem. I reset it and everything seems fine, and has felt fine so not sure why it popped the code.

Did it again today right after I got gas. It never does it while driving, it always pops the code when I am stopped with the car off then first start the car again. Cleared the code so we will see how long it lasts this time.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

The IAC is an interesting theory. Our Legacy has a horrible idle, it randomly shoots up when making parking lot maneuvers, can be quite embarrassing as it's like a teenager who doesn't know how to drive a stick (shoots to 2k or so). A dealer tried reflashing the ECU and that worked for a little time, but I guess the ECU adapted and it's doing it again. On the other hand, it's no longer tripping the CEL.

I've been having this problem on and off for most of the last 3 years. For the first year and a half the car was fine, then I got the CEL and CC flashing light.

When it first happened it would sometimes clear when I restarted the car but eventually it would just stay on all the time. When I took it back for service, they first said it was a faulty air/fuel ratio sensor and replaced that, then the next time they said it needed a software upgrade on the ecu, so they did that, then they said the sensor was faulty again so the replaced that, then they tried replacing a whole heap of the electrical harness. Every few months the damn problem would come back. The second last time they fixed something was at the beginning of this year and it was working fine up until 1 1/2 months ago when it came back. Once again they replaced a sensor and now it's just come back again!!! so back to the service I go tommorrow. this is about the 5th or 6th time I've had this problem(I've lost track), aside from the lights the car actually seems to run fine although the CC is buggered when the light is flashing.

• 2 weeks later...

i forget why it happens, but yes, you driving around and getting snow all build into your tires and brakes will throw a CEL. let it melt off and drive the car for about 3 drive cycles and most likely it'll go away.

this happened to me this morning, i got stuck in some snow and got out of it on my own (yay AWD) and i got the CEL. i'll wait to see if it goes away later today.

It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

this happened to me this morning, i got stuck in some snow and got out of it on my own (yay AWD) and i got the CEL. i'll wait to see if it goes away later today.

Same thing happened to me tonight. :mad:

I'm going to the dealer this morning because I'm leaving for 2 weeks for the holidays and I don't want a CEL and a CC light blinking in my dash all that time....

• 1 month later...
Lets see; burned out headlights, dash rattle(TSB failed), other rattles, hesitation when trying to accelerate at highway speeds, wiper blades not worth a darn, poor radio reception, don't even want to talk about the paint, now I go out to start the car and I get the CEL and CC blinking. Other than that I love my car.

wife just called me on the phone. My car just had that pop up. Will see if it does registers after she comes back.

If not, I'm going to disconnect the battery for about 30 mins, reconnect and see if that clears it.

From what I've read, this isn't really a show stopper problem and if it does come back right away, the car is under warranty and needing the 30k check up here soon so I'll just have them take a look at it.

My wife just had this problem happen. We just bought the car Saturday. Drove it home fine and drove it around on Sunday fine. Today she goes out to the car, starts the car. The car then dies and she re-starts the car and the CEL is on with the blinking CC and also the VDC light was on saying that the VDC was off. It's a brand new '08 2.5i limited. I told her take it to the dealership cause I can't go home to read the code and she just called me while on her way to the dealership and the code turned off. I told her just to continue to the dealership and we will see what they find if anything. I'll post up and let you guys know if this dealer says anything different about it. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the same thing happen to me, but the SI drive doesn't work either and the symbol is flashing on the display as well and the CC flash. At least I'm stuck in "S" and not "I".

Is this the same error or something else.? Going to make a damn appt with Subaru, oh joy. I'll post back if its something different than already in this thread.

Turns out we had a problem with the MAP sensor. Got codes, p108 and p107. They replaced the MAP sensor and the issue was still there. So they checked the wiring and found that one wire was bad. They replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the f'ning code again on Sunday. Almost 3 weeks after I got it initially. Now my wife called again on the way to work and said it's back.

So I guess I'm going to take the car into Carr Subaru and have them fix it.

Freaking hell.

HAHA now THIS thread is AWESOME... I have this same stupid problem pop up on saturday... had it blinking at me until monday afternoon... and it went away... '05 with 72k... I had just gotten the oil changed on friday... filled up on saturday... drove 200miles... and then the light came on... the Cruise Control will automatically be disabled when the Check Engine Light comes on... its a standard thing... thats why the CC blinks... I bet its the same with the SI drive thing... I'm pretty sure if a "bad light"comes on, the car won't go into cruise control to blow itself up.

Funny because I called the Dealership I bought it from and service was closed... but the lady told me to check my gascap... i was like... um... 200miles on a full tank and had no problem until now... but i'll check anyways... I heard there's a recall on some misfiring thing and someone thought that might have been my problem... but i dont have the problem anymore, so w/e... car still starts/drives/stops...

Update : Code went away on it's own.

I called Carr Subaru. Told them the symptom and the code. As suspected, they suggested getting a new battery (which I have been thinking about for a while now....) and then monitor to see if the code comes back.

If it does come back on, I'm going to assume that it's something else but who knows.

Weird.

• 9 months later...

I just got this code for the first time. I wonder if it's low battery/cold weather related.

We just had a cold night and I've not been running the car very much the last two weeks due to the holidays.

I'm going to reset the code and see if it come up again.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like this is rather rampant. Got my ride stuck in snow just a hour ago and same thing. Once i pulled out ABS light went off, still have CEL and CC. Sounds like i have a light pinging when i popped the hood open at idle. Revved it pretty fierce so not sure if it misfired, if snow buried the moistened the starter B+ connection, or if moisture possibly entered the intake tract.

First serious issue with the car (05 GT Stick, 32K)... I am not F'in happy...

Archived