LegacyGT.com

After owning an Outback, would you switch to a Legacy GT?

Would you have rather purchased a LegacyGT instead of your Outback?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have rather purchased a LegacyGT instead of your Outback?

• Yes, LegacyGT should have been my choice
    • No, the Outback has to much versatility and I like my wagons high!

Reminds me once when I was touring the ranch with a bunch of lawyers, one of which had a Pathfinder complete with BFG AT's. I was in my WRX wagon with Conti Extremes. Anyways, we were climbing up steep coastal dirt roads in a caravan and his, apparently, 2WD Pathfinder kept getting stuck, as it did not even have a limited slip rear-end. The irony was lost on no one, as I ended up making a return trip for the Pathfinder's passengers.

Skywalker Ranch? or something more offroady?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello,

Moving to Sunnyvale (just closed escrow) this week - insurance dropped $1k/yr getting out of the city. Now paying about $4.8k/yr. quote]

Thank god for illiegal, undocumented, uninsured drivers jacking up all our rates. Move to Rocklin, I am paying $2K a year for homeowners, OBXT, Grand Cherokee and my rock crawler.

:)

Hello,

Thank god for illiegal, undocumented, uninsured drivers jacking up all our rates. Move to Rocklin, I am paying $2K a year for homeowners, OBXT, Grand Cherokee and my rock crawler.

Yeah, but you have to live in Rocklin...

Hahahah...

For me, it's the Bay Area, or some place in the mountains in Utah, Washington, or British Columbia. I mean, if you're not going to have the metropolitan spread of the Bay Area, you might as well get real, serious mountains and outdoorsy stuff.

And you'd be stuck in an OXT :p So yeah, returning to the thread at hand, get an LGT and add a real offroader :D

Joel

Sean's got a nice offroader. Although he might be babying it as it still has intact glass. Oh yah, I did not forget ;) (from above)

Joel: I think you hold my conclusion as well. Although, don't think that washington is without its metropolitan and suburban sprawl. Its just behind you guys in terms of people and cost. Just without as many, uhm, "undocumented workers". Undocumented... yah, thats it.

As of now I am keeping the Outback as the wifes car. It will fit to kiddos in the back with a little room. Its hard for me to drive with a carseat behind the drivers seat though.

In reality, the new OB is not for any offroad. My 1987 GL wagon was WAAAY better off the roads since it had good clearance (a lot better than our 1997 OB, and probably just as good as the 2005 XT). The 87 had low range gearing, I drove it really, really hard and it still lasted me over 205k mi.

So, if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the LGT wagon rather than our XT -- if the LGT Wagon came with a manual. From the start, it handles better than the XT. The LGT does not bobble head doll shake shake shake as much as the Outback, and then if you want to do any suspension improvements you can find tons of parts that fit the LGT without changing the overall suspension geometry or ride height.

The way things are now, to make the OB handle well and remove the pogo stick suspenders, it takes a lowering job because you need to use LGT suspenders and this will negatively affect the OB geometry. I really don't like the looks of a lot of the lowered GTs -- I certainly don't want to drag its belly on the ground like a reptile -- and I don't want to screw up the geometry. But, the new LGT wagons are only available in automatics.... so, I'll keep what I have now and keep turning over leaves looking for better suspenders for the XT. I may have to wait a while .... maybe a long while...

Paul,

We have coilover systems and sway bars from Cusco that will work on your XT. The coilover systems will lower the ride height significantly. The sway bars will help body roll in corners without affecting ride quality or height. You can choose from most of the suspension bits available. The 'TypeII Lower Arm Bars' are the only bits that do not fit your OB/XT.

Here is a link:

http://www.rallitek.com/suspension1.html

Thank you for your interest,

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

Paul,

We have coilover systems and sway bars from Cusco that will work on your XT. The coilover systems will lower the ride height significantly. The sway bars will help body roll in corners without affecting ride quality or height. You can choose from most of the suspension bits available. The 'TypeII Lower Arm Bars' are the only bits that do not fit your OB/XT.

Here is a link:

Sean S.

Right. The operative phrase, that I personally want to avoid, is: "The coilover systems will lower the ride height significantly." From all accounts that I have heard, this is not a good idea as it messes up the geometry causing camber problems and possible premature busing wear, not to mention earlier bottoming out. Every coilover setup that I have seen listed, or heard about, is for the LGT and they tend to be roughy a couple of inches shorter than the OB struts. I found this photo that illustrates the length differences between LGT and OB struts, rear and front.

OBvsLGT.jpg.7764cdb8a999c54a2b3503c8ca161385.jpg

I am actually considering trading my LGT for an Outback XT....the only problem is I want an Atlantic Blue Pearl OBXT Ltd. w/black Interior...and Subaru doesn't build it that way...:icon_mad:

I miss my outback when I go up the Mountain. My outback had the perfect setup for MTB or skiing. I have still to get the Yakima clips for my sedan:(.I might not miss it as much if I had bought the LGT wagon.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

• 1 month later...
I test drove both the LGT and the OXT. I agonized for awhile but it came down to the 5MT and the looks of the Outback. I think the Legacy wagon just doesn't look right at it's ride height. Maybe it needs the subtle body differences of the Ouback. Also, at the higher ride height, it's easier to load things into the cargo area of the Outback wagon over the Legacy wagon. I wish the handling was better and I'm going to modestly($) try to improve it. What I hate the most about the car is the way the front bumper gets ruined by bugs.....

Every time I think about lowering the OB I hit some god awful pothole or have to drive down some road that's about to be paved and has manholes sticking up about 4".

I've also taken to driving over the curb and down the hill of our office parking area. It's full of Inifinitis and BMW's so it's fun to drop jaws.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

It would be hlpful if you listed Outback in your menu system so we wouldn't have to weed through the choices.....

Paul,

Here is a link:

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Hi Dave,

Tires, swaybar and clear bra will solve some of your issues.

Great choice on the OBXT!

I test drove both the LGT and the OXT. I agonized for awhile but it came down to the 5MT and the looks of the Outback. I think the Legacy wagon just doesn't look right at it's ride height. Maybe it needs the subtle body differences of the Ouback. Also, at the higher ride height, it's easier to load things into the cargo area of the Outback wagon over the Legacy wagon. I wish the handling was better and I'm going to modestly($) try to improve it. What I hate the most about the car is the way the front bumper gets ruined by bugs.....

• 7 months later...
I bought the OBXT because I needed the ground clearance to tow my race-bikes too and from the track. Try loading 2500lbs onto the rear-most point of the LGT and see what happens when you hit a pot-hole. It might work but I didn't want to risk it in a bought-to-tow vehicle. From my standpoint it's a sh!t-ton more fun than a truck or suv and as others have pointed out with some sway bars (mine are on back-order) and some new rubber, they clean up really well. Not to mention, from my standpoint, anything's gonna be top-heavy, wallow around and seem utterly sluggish compared to a race-dedicated 750cc superbike. But that's just me and my needs from a vehicle. Ultimately I'm very happy with the OBXT and all of my friends chuckle gleefully in the passenger seat as we scream through mountain roads and more-or-less dominate 98% of around town traffic off of the line (stage-2+ is beatiful).

Archived