LegacyGT.com

After owning an Outback, would you switch to a Legacy GT?

Would you have rather purchased a LegacyGT instead of your Outback?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have rather purchased a LegacyGT instead of your Outback?

• Yes, LegacyGT should have been my choice
    • No, the Outback has to much versatility and I like my wagons high!

I was at Emich Subaru here in Tucson today and looking around saw about 20 Outbacks and only 1 Legacy GT wagon. I asked my sales rep and he said they just don't sell here. They sit on the lot for a long time, and the dealership usually has to do a dealer trade to get rid of them. So the manager doesn't order LGT wagons anymore. Surprising to me, since the added clearance of the Outback really isn't a necessity in the mild weather we get down here.

Other folks see that at their dealerships in the Southwest?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mimic the jedimaster's opinion too, but if they ever bring the spec.b wagon, I will switch in a heartbeat.

I'm knocking on wood as I type, but I've come to the conclusion that the OBXT is virtually invisible to the CHP and the high-performance badge slaves who need something of germanic origin to feel good about themselves. A rally-inspired approach to commuting is bliss when not a soul grants you a smidge of consideration or respect.

:whore:

I'm mimic the jedimaster's opinion too, but if they ever bring the spec.b wagon, I will switch in a heartbeat.

I'm knocking on wood as I type, but I've come to the conclusion that the OBXT is virtually invisible to the CHP and the high-performance badge slaves who need something of germanic origin to feel good about themselves. A rally-inspired approach to commuting is bliss when not a soul grants you a smidge of consideration or respect.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I mimic the jedimaster's opinion too, but if they ever bring the spec.b wagon, I will switch in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I've noticed that too- we kind of come in under the radar (no pun intended).

Hello,

What's missing from this poll is the fact that Subaru forgot to give us the right options... I want an LGT Wagon with MT. Or, I'll keep the OXT but I want a 2:1 or better low-range to go along with the clearance.

So, instead of the '05 STi and '05 OXT, I'm thinking of selling both and getting either an STI Limited or a Spec.B, and an Xterra. :p

Joel

I second you on that Joel (well the first half). No MT in a legacyGT? What in the world Subaru? No dual range in the Outback? Ever try slowly climbing a steep road in a manual transmission Outback? It does not happen!

Hello,

Yeah, I had dreams for the OXT, but after a few rock, stump, and root infested trails, I gave up. The OXT is limited to about 4 mph at idle, so if you need to go slower (ie, the "delicate" Subaru driveline would get destroyed over this stuff at that speed), you have to slip the clutch. After about 10-15 minutes of clutch slip, opening the windows and turning the fans on full blast doesn't help... you can't breath!

The flip side is that although the OXT's clutch stinks at the thought of a tough trail, a good 30 minutes of driving at speed and it's like a new clutch, grips great, doesn't smell, etc. Just phear the next technical section.

So the OXT is great for dirt roads and slight water crossings, but not for "off-road" or even trails. If its no good for those kinds of approaches, I need an SUV anyway. And if I need an SUV anyway, then I shouldn't have gotten an OXT. It's too bad, I really love the OXT, otherwise.

Oh, and re the folks talking about clearance... if it had the dual range, I'd disagree with you! Another 3" of clearance would be perfect. Now it doesn't really need all that height.

Joel

I guess my conclusion is its a decently fun car for the family to get around, go camping, etc. Its certainly not a play toy, even if we try. Problem is, offroading wise is that as guys, we always will want to one-up ourselves as we build confidence and skill.

I have concluded that my adventuresome offroading should only be done in a purpose built truck/bike/atv, etc. and not in my daily driver.

Something like this:

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/gallery/d/77-1/P1010087_001.JPG

Hello,

Boxxerace, I tend to do my offroading on the way to backcountry mountaineering trips. So, especially when I have to contend with rain on trips, I like to sleep in my vehicle. We've been 50-100 miles from civilization before, with torrents of rain, sleeping in the OXT, waiting out a storm so we can scramble up some 12-14k peak. We try to keep our emergency shelters or even our tents somewhat clean and dry for taking up the mountain, so sleeping in the car is the best bet. The OXT, with seats folded down, is about 71" long or so - toss a backpack between the folded seat and the front seat and you have a 6' 3-4" space to stretch out. Can't do that in the dune buggy!

BTW, that's why I'm aiming for the Xterra - no other reasonably-sized SUV can actually sleep a person. At least in the Xterra, you can fold the front seats down, too...

Joel

Like you Joel, I like sometimes to be able to sleep in the car before heading out to ski. However in the summer I will usually just pitch a tent or nothing at all depending on weather. The whole sleeping thing is part of why I built up my silly sized suburban, but I am finding I am doing things that would be more friendly to a small four door rig. The suburban uses lots of fuel and is not so trail friendly because of its size.

I plan on going middle ground with a rig. Probably an FJ-80 Toyota or an older four runner and then swap all my drivetrain / tires and engine into the Toy. Then I will do an exocage on it to keep it and my family safe (soon to be a family of four) which should be plenty trail friendly. Then, if it gets dented, I dont care since its a purpose built rig.

I think I would rather have gone to the LegacyGT now, which I would still drive on the gravel and such, but not try and get nutty with it.

I have taken a few photos of our adventures, some of which I have posted here: Outback Gallery

Boxxerace, you're not leaving us, are you (here or over at SubaruOutback.org)?

I think you saw my FZJ-80 over there. It's an awesome vehicle, and you can get good deals on them. Be sure to get both the front and rear lockers. I was considering, for a short while, a used 100 series---as they have more driver space (and more space overall, so getting fairly big). Poor gas mileage, but awesome off-road, with 10" ground clearance, to boot.

Great photos (again), by the way!

Well, you've got your solution right there! :D

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery/500/9694deserttrak2_sm.jpg

This might do the trick for you extremists too:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/JazzyMT/Outback_Liftedsm.jpg

It's posts like the last half dozen or so that make me really happy that I didn't get that manual tranny. Torque converter FTW! I can crawl up anything I want. For a daily driver, I'm still happy I have something as versitile as the Outback is although yea, once the crazyness gets into a purpose-built rig is the only way to go for serious offroading. That's not altogether untrue for every other motorsport though, including drag & track racing. I know this isn't a cheap car, but it's the only one a lot of us can afford (vs. two, or more) and in the mountains, is a very good car to have on your side and still be fun & economical to drive on everyday roads.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Terrain, oh no, not leaving Jazzy and you to post whore more posts than I. I am not replacing the Subaru with an FJ, only replacing or adding to my existing vehicles.

Thats not to say I am a little disappointed in both my disgression and choice in my Subaru. On paper, the Outback is perfect. In real life, its moderately expensive, has had multiple small dumb warranty items and is to middle ground for me. It still is a very good looking car, fun to drive and practical size wise. I just wish it were either better offroad or better onroad.

I still am and probably always will be a Subaru guy. My first car was a Subaru wagon, so most likely I will always be part of the "family".

Back to play rig: Since I (not announced until now) will be a family of four soon enough, I need to keep whatever our play rig will be a four door. I really like old Toyota's, and the FJ80s are cheap (compared to the overpriced FJ40 and 45's). I plan on putting my 1 ton 14 bolt (locked up) rear end and my Dana 60 front (will be locked up) with hydro assist steering, 454 efi engine and tube the exterior and interior as need be. I might stick with leaf springs to start, although I might go ahead and four-link the suspension with some kind of coils.

A friend of mine pointed this FJ out to me today. Its simply outrageous! Points given to those who can call out what kind of running gear and tires it has:

(note: I hope I am not testing the "off-topic" range of this thread. It's loosely tied since we are comparing the usefullness of the Outback to other vehicles)

PictureCJA018.jpg.60218e21997bfb819e4f8a1e66706b06.jpg

PictureCJA040.jpg.d5895ae85aac7f967ed7b063f081c635.jpg

I owned a '99 Outback for camping and recreation, traded to a 2004 Forester then added the '06 Legacy GT to my garage (sold off a '97 Accord).

My wife loves the Forester she thought the Outback was "too big", <shrug>, I love the Legacy GT. A match made only at Subaru :icon_bigg

I made sure to get the 5MT since she won't drive a manual.:lol: She still loves me anyway.

I really liked the utility of the Outback, however, I really like driving a sedan for day to day commute. Luckily I can afford to have 3 cars so the Legacy GT was the car I "wanted".

So I guess this is clear as mud, but if I didn't have the Outback or Forester and had to do it all over, I'd buy the Outback so I could have a utility vehicle. It is nice to haul my "stuff", camping gear, kayak, mountain bike, etc. The Forester does that just fine.

Here's an aside; my wife's favorite feature of the Forester -- Heated Seats.:iam:

Be well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• 2 weeks later...

mog axles, or volvo portals, can't tell from the pics. ;) And you know why I know :)

I am into my 05 OBXT about 6 months and 12K miles. No visits to the dealer for anything yet, I have had my Stage 2 gear sitting in boxes since january waiting for time and for a little more miles before I throw the warranty to the wind.

I really like the styling of the OB over the LGT. My first try at off road adventures resulted in billowing clouds of clutch smoke. It's just not suited for any slow speed control, that's where a torque converter would come in handy. I absolutely hate the handling of the car. Yes, it's very plush on the bumpy roads, but I need less body roll and less pogo-ing over bumps. Waaaaay underdampened. If I can find some CO's that will net me about 0-1" higher ride height than the stock LGT, I think that's the way to go for me.

I do enjoy the car and look forward to some more power, better suspension and brakes. Simply put though, if I could have found a manual GT wagon, I would have bought it.

SeanP

It's my wife's car. She wanted the off-road look, but prefers our old '98's handling.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Low-range transfer case is not offered with the 5MT in U.S. Perhaps in Australia and other locations?

Most folks really wanting off-road prowess probably aren't getting an Outback, but something like an Xterra or FJ Cruiser, etc. (even though most of what those are used for could likely be handled by the Outback).

Hello,

Just picked up an '06 Xterra - tired of the lack of ability to go under 4 mph. So now I guess with an STi, OXT, and two Miatas, it's time to dump the OXT Anyone want a Cobb Stage 2+ OXT?

Time to Stage 2 the STI, I guess. Not sure if I'll trade the STI in for Spec.B yet... might wait till mid-year since it's not a limited edition any more.

Oh, I remember what I was going to comment on - what the heck is up with Nissans? It turns out Nissan sells more base models than off-road models. That makes sense. But here's the surprise: Nissan sells more 2WD Off-Road packages than 4WD Off-Road packages. Err?

I guess most people buying these just want the bad gas mileage, crappy handling (off-road package gets the knobby off-road tires), etc. We ended up with one of the only three Off-Road Manual Transmission Xterras in California dealer lots.

Crazy...

Joel

I'll bet at least aquarter of those who buy 2wd don't know it.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Reminds me once when I was touring the ranch with a bunch of lawyers, one of which had a Pathfinder complete with BFG AT's. I was in my WRX wagon with Conti Extremes. Anyways, we were climbing up steep coastal dirt roads in a caravan and his, apparently, 2WD Pathfinder kept getting stuck, as it did not even have a limited slip rear-end. The irony was lost on no one, as I ended up making a return trip for the Pathfinder's passengers.

Hello,

Moving to Sunnyvale (just closed escrow) this week - insurance dropped $1k/yr getting out of the city. Now paying about $4.8k/yr. Which job you want to work at - volunteer position at GOTO:Racing, volunteer position at USTCC, or sucking dry my savings from the last good job I had, and quit (going on 14 months ago), to make time to start a new business.

I think I know why most aftermarket companies seem to suck... it takes unreasonable amounts of time to design things right.

Joel, still at the drawing board, probably far closer to perfection than I need to be, but still feeling like there's more tweaking that should be done.

Archived