LegacyGT.com

ACURA TSX vs. LEGACY GT in Road and Track (pix on pg.2)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Driver72']D.M. somtimes it's easier to just copy and paste part of the quote instead of hitting th quote buttom and getting paragraphs, and then having to delete all the wordage you don't want. But I will be honest, I don't know how to quote within a quote like that. :D[/quote] [quote name='GT Ski ']It would be easier if quote tags were the same for every board, having to memorize the format for every message board out there is tough, but thanks for the fix. Cool[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I went to both the Acura dealer and then the Volvo dealer today, 1st to drive the TSX and then to drive the S40. At the Acura dealership I was meant by a guy in a natty pinstripe shirt, $150 tie, $100 belt and cuffed dress slacks over some pretty expensive Italian shoes ( my normal work wear). I'm in a reasonably clean fun-run T-shirt, shorts, and sandals (it's 103 degrees outside). He extends his hand at my chest height (and I'm thinking what's up with that) and introduces himself. Very standoffish. (I'm feeling the attitude). When I tell him I'm here to look at the TSX and he asks me if I've shopped other cars. I tell him that I'm cross-shopping the TSX with the Volvo and the Subaru LGTL and intend to buy by the end of the month. Oh, says he, "It's interesting that you mention the Subaru, C&D just did a comparison on it and ranked the TSX significantly higher." I know says I, "R&T also just did a comparision of the two cars and ranked the LGTL significantly higher". His jaw drops and he says he hadn't heard that. Nuff with the dialogue. The sales guy says that he has only two in stock and asks which transmission I'm looking for. I tell him the MT6. Sorry only have autos. I'm thinking that's okay, I'll drive it anyway. Off he goes, I think, to get the keys and so I go look at and sit in the car. Nice tight seats, well bolstered, the nav system looks huge in the center stack. It doesn't evoke much in the way of emotional response, just seems ehhh, so what. It's a gussied up Accord by another name. So he comes back and says since I'm interested in the MT6, why doesn't he call me when he gets one in. Basically taking my name and number, thanking me for "visiting" and leaving me think that he'll find me an MT6 to drive so I can come back at another time. So much for my TSX comparo drive and fat chance of my going back there. Off to the Volvo dealership up the street. I walk around for five minutes until I find some guy who looked like he worked there and I asked him where the S40/V50s were. Turns out he's the internet sales guy and shows me the cars. When I looked at the S40 I said that it was too small and that I need to be able to carry at least two adult passengers in the back seat. He suggested we look at the V50 to see if that will meet my needs. As we talked, he got pretty offended when I asked which Ford chassis/platform it was built on. I mentioned that I heard that the Focus was the foundation but he "explained" that Volvo gave up on the Focus chassis when the Focus was having so many problems. Both the S40 and V50 are collaboratively built on some, as of yet, unreleased Mitsubishi (dubbed X2) platform that I've never heard of, or seen in Japan. These cars are built in Denmark and not Sweden. Anyway, the S40 felt too small and confining to me. It didn't have the ambience that I've felt in the LGTL and rear leg room is almost non-existent, even less than an A4 and I didn't think that was possible. The V50 just did nothing for me, from the aesthetics to the T5 FWD layout. Backseat leg room was marginally bigger than the S40 but still not adequate for my needs. Apparently I didn't fit their demographics (S40 is for the younger generation - so I was told, and the V50 is for families). One minute I'm talking to the guy and the next minute he's gone without so much as a "I'll be right back". His snide comment about Volvo "bailing Ford out of the red" when Ford picked up the "premium auto group of Jaguar, Volvo and Rover Group sounded very smug and self serving. I left with a less than satisfactory experience wondering what he would have thought of the LGTL. So, I'll lay 10-1 odds that the Acura dealer doesn't call and I'll probably not drive the Volvos at all - I can't imagine the Volvo possibly having anything that I want in a wagon which includes AWD. The sales guy said that they won't see any allocation of AWD until after Feb 2005. My take-aways - the LGTL really compares solidly with these two cars and blows them away on space and the feeling of comfort and openness you sense inside the car. I didn't check the TSX but the Volvo didnot have an electric front passenger seat. Interior and exterior styling is almost always a personal feeling and neither the TSX or the S40/V50 gets my vote in those two areas. They both look very uninspired to me. I know already that power-wise (hp/tq) the LGTL is the handsdown winner, and since it's the only one with AWD for now, it still gets my nod. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Xaqtly']I wonder if any of those so-called "performance enthusiasts" on the TSX site have any idea what an additional 100 lb-ft of torque would do to their exit speeds? "The LGT is only better in a straight line" my BUTT. Oh wait, the TSX is FWD, never mind. Another 100 lb-ft of torque would just make the front wheel (singular) spin like crazy and the car would understeer into a ditch. Seriously, do any of those bozos have any racing experience at all? If they drive TSXes they most certainly don't know anything about what it's like to put down power out of a corner.[/quote] I think Acura owners can be pretty idiotic. That damned Integra Type-R got to their heads, I think. One car and they think they're hot now. I own a Honda Accord, so the Acuras and I are pretty similiar. Expect they have a healthy dose of, "I gotta prove to you I'm better cuz I spent more on my Accord" attitude. It can rival a BMW owner. I've had Acura TLs, CLs, etc. "race" me, give me the finger, honk at me, etc. I don't really do anything to provoke them, usually they'll be doing 60-65mph in the left lane, and I'll come up behind them and when i try to pass them is when they get angry. Or they'll flash their lights or tailgate me when they're behind me because we're both stuck behind slower traffic. BUT... when I'm driving a BMW 530i that blue and white roundel keeps that Acura attitude in check. They know who their daddy is. :wink: I hate people like that.

The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.

[quote name='Pheare']The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.[/quote] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Pheare']The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.[/quote] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Too much appearently. Maybe once the restrictions are removed the torque will come on sooner and stay longer...

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Deer Killer'] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Too much appearently. Maybe once the restrictions are removed the torque will come on sooner and stay longer...[/quote] You know it's basically just a modified up-pipe and a different turbine housing. Not some fancy technology like variable vanes or ceramic/ball bearing turbos, etc.

[quote name='Belzebutt'] [quote] If you bought a car purely for subjective reasons you'd be buying a Camry or a Prius. And nobody said your car is a POS, both are great cars, clearly both appeal to enthousiasts.[/quote][/quote] Latest analysis shows that the Prius is not that practical when it comes to the cost savings from fuel. OTOH, I think it's a nifty car. But to the point - I know every one likes to read good reviews of anything they buy, but in the end, we have sooooo many options. People will buy what they like within the scope of their budget. Be happy. We should all just get along. :D

[quote name='Deer Killer']No torque from 800-2500rpm. [/quote] I see, didn't know that. So how do you find it for daily driving? Are you typically cruising at or above 2500rpm or do you find that it is easy to get 'caught with your pants down' should the sudden need move quickly occur?

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Deer Killer'] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Too much appearently. Maybe once the restrictions are removed the torque will come on sooner and stay longer...[/quote] You know it's basically just a modified up-pipe and a different turbine housing. Not some fancy technology like variable vanes or ceramic/ball bearing turbos, etc.[/quote] Yeah I know but you know how it goes man...we never get the cool goodies...

[quote name='devobuzz']I just don't get it - why are the skidpad number so low??? The tires can't be that bad. The cars seems to have good grip in the corners. Are they doing the skidpad measurement differently then they did it in the past? Like in water or something?[/quote] RE92s have weak sidewalls and dont hold up in G forces as well as say a HOOSIER or R-compound tire because an RE92 is just a low grade all season tire. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Pheare']The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.[/quote] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Or remove the turd in the uppipe. Spool is sick without that thing you don't understand! Save platinum, production costs, and REALLY piss off tree huggers. I see no disadvantage. It would actually be source of enterntainment when they get peppersprayed in front of SIA :D

[quote name='RobY'] Or remove the turd in the uppipe. Spool is sick without that thing you don't understand! Save platinum, production costs, and REALLY piss off tree huggers. I see no disadvantage. It would actually be source of enterntainment when they get peppersprayed in front of SIA :D[/quote] It's not going to give you full torque at 2400 rpm.

[quote name='RobY'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Pheare']The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.[/quote] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Or remove the turd in the uppipe. Spool is sick without that thing you don't understand! Save platinum, production costs, and REALLY piss off tree huggers. I see no disadvantage. It would actually be source of enterntainment when they get peppersprayed in front of SIA :D[/quote] Which is exactly what I stated above...

[quote name='RobY'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Pheare']The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.[/quote] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Or remove the turd in the uppipe. [/quote] What "turd in the uppipe are you referring too?

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='RobY'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Pheare']The one thing that really surprised me about the car and driver review was the 5-60mph time of the legacy. 5.7sec 0-60 , but a whopping 7.6sec 5-60???? That is a huge difference for a car with with much hp and torque. Was that just a typo? The no torque TSX just lost .4 between the 2. I mean, for comparison, the SRT4 is like 5.4 0-60 and 5.9 5-60. Something doesn't seem right here.[/quote] No torque from 800-2500rpm. It may come on smooth, by the torque curve is still wrx-like. How much would it have cost subaru to give us a twinscroll, really?[/quote] Or remove the turd in the uppipe. [/quote] What "turd in the uppipe are you referring too?[/quote] Why the cat of course! :lol:

• 4 years later...
I took on a newer TSX with my 98 LGT and when the light turned green all he had was dust and tail lights in his face.

Maybe it was because he didn't try to race you. I'm fairly sure the TSX is more than capable beating a 95-99 Legacy GT. I have the same car in sedan form and it is VERY far from fast.

I'm sure this was on the track, right? Street racing with an Acura TSX owner is totally worth killing an innocent pedestrian or another driver. For that matter its totally worth having your insurance company drop you as a customer when you get caught. It's bound to happen.

so apparently this.. destroyer of evos.. this racer of suvs.. thinks his car was the fastest car in the world.. yet he has never done any research on potential competition.. a wise driver picks his fights.

It is my assumption that this.. child.. was "racing" vehicles that were not actually racing him at all.. a responsible driver normally doesn't "race" someone so much as they try to shut someone out or to beat a merging lane.. which doesn't always require 100% of what the vehicle has to offer.

It sounds like this guy is all show and no go for lack of a better term.. putting his "IM FAST IM FAST IM FAST" chest beating above the logic that his car is not the fastest on the road, there will come a time when someone has a faster vehicle and if hes not prepared.. it could cost him his life/health in an untimely wreck.

This is why street racing is frowned upon and is wholly illegal.

Archived