LegacyGT.com

ACURA TSX vs. LEGACY GT in Road and Track (pix on pg.2)

[quote name='EyeFlyIsTheEye']Unfortunately, the TSX is neither of the three. Lethargic acceleration and no rear leg room [/quote] Compared to the legacy maybe (don't know about rear legroom on the GT), but compared to other cars of similar quality, price and features, the TSX engine is competitive and rear legroom is better than BMW and Lexus.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got back from the Acura dealer. Checked out this TSX, they had a nice black one on the showroom floor (with NAV, and auto trans). Noticed that the car had the same big dual-exhuast outlets as my Legacy GT Limited. :?: BTW, my car has the anti-glare mirror w/compass, heated leather, sunroof, dual-climate... all the typical bells and whistles (except NAV), and the TSX was stickered at $29,050. My LGT Limited was stickered at $29,600. So I guess I gave up NAV and maybe remote keyless window scroll?? or whatever extra little tidbits the Acura had (they chunk the options on these cars so that people won't mistake them for their Honda counterpart) for a much better performing performance sedan. [b]Belzebutt wrote:[/b] [quote]I wholy agree that the cars represent different performance characteristics. The GT is definitely more performance oriented where the TSX is more quality-oriented. [/quote] From Dictionary.com: [quote]qual·i·ty Audio pronunciation of "quality" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kwl-t) n. pl. qual·i·ties 1. 1. An inherent or distinguishing characteristic; a property. 2. A personal trait, especially a character trait: “The most vital quality a soldier can possess is self-confidence” (George S. Patton). 2. Essential character; nature: “The quality of mercy is not strain'd” (Shakespeare). 3. 1. Superiority of kind: an intellect of unquestioned quality. 2. Degree or grade of excellence: yard goods of low quality. 4. 1. High social position. 2. Those in a high social position. [/quote] Okay, so I gather if this car (the TSX) were around in ancient Rome, it would be the preferred choice of the fat, wealthy roman senators. Maximus would drive a Legacy GT, though. :wink: Its one thing to flaunt a status, its another thing to be able to back it up on the road. --

That's funny. Appearently my LGT is a straight-line performance only car! I guess I bought the wrong car as the unperpowred peg-legged FWD TSX is clearly superior. :roll: The steering may be a bit better on the TSX, but at the end of the day, the LGT still stands out as more of a "driver's car" to me. What it may lack in the interior/features dept it makes up for with pure driving experience. It wasn't 2004 Japan Car of the Year for no reason... Having driven both...I had no sense of "riding on rails" with the TSX at all. Put nice tires on both and see who comes out on top.... Need I bring up the Legacy GT Spec.B vs. Accord Euro-R video results? :lol:

People will defend their purchases to the death, that is human nature. Many feel like they need to talk down other cars to make themselves feel better about their purchases. All I know is when it comes down to it, I'm happy with my purchase - my car does what I want it to, nothing more, nothing less. I happily drive in to work every day. What more satisfaction do I need? Bickering over what is released in a couple of magazines is foolish - drive them all and make your own damn decision about what is best for you, since one person's needs can be totally different compared to another person's, and opinion is all subjective anyways. /rant off :D

[quote name='Drift Monkey']It wasn't 2004 Japan Car of the Year for no reason... [/quote] Actually they both were. I think to sum it up, people get these cars for different reasons, different people put more emphasis on different aspects. There's no question that the GT gets you a lot of performance for the money.

[quote name='450Thumper']Driver72, Would you please sen your pics to the moderator so we can post them on his server??? I went looking for the R&T mag and it was nowhere to be found. John[/quote] Would love too, how do I do that? Or how would I could email them to somebody who can try hosting them on a different site than photoisland.

Great debate. I am considering both cars: TSX and LGT. The LGT Limited costs more than the TSX, and since a sunroof means more to me than 50hp, I think the TSX has the edge for me. I also think the following: Acura reliability > Subaru's Acura = Luxury mark = better resale The phrase, "better-all-around" for the money comes to mind. Unfortunately, my local Acura dealer has no 04 TSX MTs in stock, so I have to wait for the 05s. And so far, from my correspondence with the Acura dealer on the phone has been more pleasurable than my actual dealer visits to two different Subaru dealers in the Atlanta area. Subaru dealers/sales personnel are crap!

Don't make such a blanket statement. My local subaru dealer has been great. Ordered my car no problem, was given $100 over invoice without haggle. Kept me informed on the progress, etc. All without so much as putting a cent down or even meeting the sales manager I've been talking too. Just because you have a bad Subaru dealer by your place, doesn't make them all bad.

if u want gadgets with no power at all and a nice interior, go for TSX. if u want decent perfromance with acceptable interior and with no gadgets, go for GT...isn't that simple? man, there must be some reasons why these two cars' price are set to so close to each other. it is just a simple economic concept. and, please, search before u speak. these two car are built for different purposes.

One reason why I did not even consider a TSX in my car search is because I see too many of them on the road. I would prefer to be more unique in what I drive and not just one of the sheep. I can tell you this. Everywhere I drive and everyone I meet is awestruck by the car, reactions which I would not foresee if I drove the TSX... I may be wrong though, just my opinion.

[quote name='SUBE555']Someone should DL them if the account comes back online and then upload them to the directory here and link them. :)[/quote] Driver72, Sube555 suggested the above. I don't know the process. I would like to see the results. Thanks, John

[quote name='crapy']if u want gadgets with no power at all and a nice interior, go for TSX. if u want decent performance with acceptable interior and with no gadgets, go for GT...isn't that simple? man, there must be some reasons why these two cars' price are set to so close to each other. it is just a simple economic concept. and, please, search before u speak. these two car are built for different purposes.[/quote] I looked at the TSX before making the LGT purchase. I didn't see that much difference in creature comfort. I bought the LGT over the TSX, S40, and BMW because of the LGT reviews after winning car of the year in Japan. I was close to buying the Volvo S40, but only because of the very cool floating console :roll: . I'm glad I went with reputation and performance over gadgets! John

[quote name='450Thumper'][quote name='SUBE555']Someone should DL them if the account comes back online and then upload them to the directory here and link them. :)[/quote] Driver72, Sube555 suggested the above. I don't know the process. I would like to see the results. Thanks, John[/quote] John I uploaded them to Photoisland.com You can see the article there. go to: [url]http://www.photoisland.com[/url] Enter Guest ID: pictureisup Password: legacy Click on "Legacy" album on the left. You'll get 5 thumbnails. Click on one at a time. A larger, but still illegible picture will come up. To the left you'll see "View Original" Click that and it'll be nice and large. One note, Photoisland is set up for any "album" can only be receive 60 visits per day. So if you can't get on it's because they've exceeded the number of visits today. Try tomorrow then.

The TSX is a sharp little car, unfortunately I need an AWD Wagon so that kinda ruled out the Acura. I for one am glad to see some TSXers on the board having a nice little debate without resorting to bashing the GT simply because it is a Subaru. 8)

On another note, I was trying to have an adult discussion with some of the guys over at the TSX board. Many, not all, just continued to bash the LGT as "crap" and "anybody can turbocharge junk and make it go fast." Yada yada. I found that none of those people have actually DRIVEN the Subaru. There was one sensible TSX owner who bashed his brothers for bashing the LGT and even he stated those bashing the LGT haven't driven it. They were also trying to convince me (well themselves really) that the only advantage that the LGT has over the TSX is straight line speed. And they even tried to convince themselves that just as many DRIVING enthusiasts would prefer the TSX over the LGT regardless of the power. LOL, next they'll be trying to say that more DRIVING enthusiast will prefer the TSX over an STI or EVO too. I kept saying, the TSX is a nice car, but more for people who want a good car with top rate interior, lots of amenities, good driving dynamics but with only adequate performance. But the LGT is more for people who are interested in performance first and a bit of luxury second, all wrapped up in one package. They just couldn't accept that and thought the TSX was every bit as much of a performance car. Whatever, I gave up, I figured they learn soon enough on the streets. But they all probably cower away from any "challenge" with an LGT anyway. I just wish one of these magazines would of taken these cars to the track. Maybe in another comparo

Thanks for posting that article! I am personally undecided as ever. A test drive of a 6MT TSX will help! Then it will come down to what the dealers are willing to offer...I'll be there with my checkbook. Like I said, I am pretty sure I would take a TSX with sunroof over a LGT (NL) without a sunroof. It means that much to me coming from a convertible. If Subaru makes a sunroof available as an option on the 2006 LGT NL, then Subaru may have me...or if my local dealer decided to offer me an LGT Limited for the price of a TSX MT...but right now, my local dealers are selling the LGT Limite for $31-32K (sticker).

SchnellerGT Just a thought but you could pick up a LGT (NL) and have an aftermarket sunroof put in it. Doesn't cost that much and you get what you want, wonderful performance driving dynamicism at a price point that you can live with. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I haven't driven either car (still saving $$ and don't want to torture myself with a test drive), but here's what I've taken away from the C&D and R&T reviews. The handling of the GT is not as good as predicted relative to the competition. Subaru, if you want to shine in these comparos, you need to tighten up the suspension on the GT (or come out with an STI, pronto). Leave the softer setup for the base Leg and the Outback. I also took away that the TSX handles extremely well for a FWD and is a nice little package overall. You haters can say the TSX is all about gadgets and interior, but fact is it outrated the GT in steering, braking and handling, and had similar skidpad and slalom numbers despite equally shitty tires. Performance [i]is[/i] about more than just power, and I hope Subaru has been listening. Give us the JDM suspension or similar, and better tires.

[quote name='Subietonic']SchnellerGT Just a thought but you could pick up a LGT (NL) and have an aftermarket sunroof put in it. Doesn't cost that much and you get what you want, wonderful performance driving dynamicism at a price point that you can live with. SBT[/quote] Sorry, but I have little faith in such a major aftermarket installation. BTW, my local dealer quoted me $1500 for that.

[quote name='dimil']I have read both R&T and C&D and came to conclusion that TSX is overall better car for "average Joe". That's why I might include it in my shoping list next year to replace 97 Toyota Corolla that my wife drives( I want her to have more comfort on the road), since my LGT is too much for her. She will feel more comfortable without all the torque available :)[/quote] Let her be the judge of what she wants.... :D She might like the torque. I didn't think my wife would like driving my Rx-8....and then she came home one day and wanted to drag with me...hehe. What do you drive? Give her your car and take the LGT...marrage is about comprimise.. :lol:
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='SchnellerGT'][quote name='Subietonic']SchnellerGT Just a thought but you could pick up a LGT (NL) and have an aftermarket sunroof put in it. Doesn't cost that much and you get what you want, wonderful performance driving dynamicism at a price point that you can live with. SBT[/quote] Sorry, but I have little faith in such a major aftermarket installation. BTW, my local dealer quoted me $1500 for that.[/quote] That seems a little on the steep side unless it's the full boat OEM model. There are hundreds of people here in SD that get this done to their cars on a regular basis. Most, ostensibly like you, don't want to get something they don't want, e.g., leather at a higher price point, just to get a sunroof. So, they opt for the lower cost model and add the sunroof. Prices here are in the $600-$900 range for an OEM style model and I'm sure getting the full boat LGT Ltd wagon sunroof would be a $1500 proposition. They look just like a factory install and hold up equally well in the heat and downpours that we get here. There's going to be great installers (who do nothing else but sunroofs) and the not so good, who install sunroofs as a part-time by-the-way we can do that for you kind of operation. I'm not sure where you're located but check your local area or check in with your LegacyGT region guys and some of them may know some good installers and/or those to avoid. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived