LegacyGT.com

I want a Cobalt SS

:lol: I do like the sound of the s/c though. But like someone said, 200hp? That's all they can get with a s/c?

205hp is all that this car is putting out, stock. It's really a kind of shame. The Ecotec is supost to be good up to around 1,000 hp, which the Saturn ION drag car is pushing (IIRC). My guess is that the Colbalt SS only puts out 205hp so as not to compete with the Chevy Malibu SS or the Pontiac G6 GXP.

...and S/C whine makes me just as pants happy as turbo whine.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ the wheels the car is only putting down about 185-190**stock**

What is hard to believe is......our LGT's are cheaper to mod than a Cobalt SS:eek:

Cobalt SS.........248whp.......3500

LGT...................255whp.......2000

If you look @ the stock #'s between the 2 of them the HP figures are pretty close.

Cobalt SS.......185-190

LGT.................195-200

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

@ the wheels the car is only putting down about 185-190**stock**

What is hard to believe is......our LGT's are cheaper to mod than a Cobalt SS:eek:

Cobalt SS.........248whp.......3500

LGT...................255whp.......2000

If you look @ the stock #'s between the 2 of them the HP figures are pretty close.

Cobalt SS.......185-190

LGT.................195-200

But how much is the weight difference? It has to be fairly huge.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

pretty impressed with that little car. as of right now i have no worries if i go to the track.

You better be ready to put some serious money into making the car perform... All those cars are GM backed and have TONS and TONS of money put into them to make them look good on the track so they can sell cars.

Although they are not horrible handling it will take alot to make it even come CLOSE to what the purpose built GM performance cars can do. They weigh almost nothing and they are basicly racecars.

A more fair comparison would be to check out the Cobalts built by teams not having an unlimited budget.

29th in class 48th overall compared to the GM backed Cobalts.

61 48 ST 29 T Lepper/ J Lepper Team Cobalt California / Chevrolet Cobalt 50 1:44.187 18 62 http://www.sponsorjeff.com/ Team Cobalt California

Cobalt SS........2950lb

LGT Base MT...3200lb

...ok, so it's heavier than I thought...it's not heavy, it's just dense.:lol:

What would really be sexy would be a "low-end" company that makes a LITE-WEIGHT version of it's performance model. Think about how much better, performance wise this car would be without all the sound deadening material, radio, power windows, power seats etc. and with polymer body pannels. It's no joke, while the car rags may not like the look of the body gaps of Saturns, they weigh a lot less than metal panels.

For a "tin-top" track toy a Cobalt SS "CSL" could be very cool.

EL4NFZT7

It's hard to beat a factory car. But the question is just how much time is spent by the factory team with their heads under the hood. Bonnet for you Aussies
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

It's hard to beat a factory car. But the question is just how much time is spent by the factory team with their heads under the hood. Bonnet for you Aussies

or how much time they spent with their heads up their boot ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Yup.

http://www.grandamerican.com/Events/SessionResults.asp?SessionID=669

http://superstreetonline.com/eventcoverage/130_0511_timeattack/

But according to that video on streetfire its not the best street racing car so it must suck :icon_roll

And the car may only be 200 hp stock, but the Ecotec has tons of potential.

In the grandam series the Team Cobalt California did pretty good. 143.930 for the cobalt for the best lap to 143.594 for the GOTO LGT, but thats just one lap.

Like i said I dont do stupid drag races so all that street fire stuff is pointless to me. Also I am sure you can get the power out of the car for far cheaper than 3500. I saw a 45k STI at the dealer today and all it had was an intake and exhaust.

The 3500 was with GM doing the install.

That is the only way they will still warranty everything on the car including the performance parts.

Just imagine if (all) subaru dealers would openly do stage 1, 2 upgrades and warranty them....<sigh>

I have to fight my dealer for warranty coverage on *anything* and Im stock!

• 4 months later...
The Cobalt SS is a $20,000 car that can go stage 1 (230hp, actual dyno notwithstanding) for less than $1,000 with dealer install. The car is a good 300lbs less than the LGT. The handling is very good out of the box even with the twist beam rear. The lighter weight is undoubtedly very helpful. The difference in weight (and factory support, of course) really showed up at Laguna Seca. I suspect the Lock brothers could make it reeally interestting for the leading Cobalts with a little factory help and a little weight break from Grand Am. For the street (and for tossing through the canyons), the Cobalt and the LGT are very different. The lighter Cobalt would likely toss better (rotate) than the heavier AWD. The Cobalt is a cool little sleeper for sure. There something about a tarted up domestic rental car that really works (that's what I like about my SVT Contour). Although, I guess, my LGT wagon is also quite the sleeper (like for the 330i that couldn't figure out how the station wagon passed him after I spotted him one and a half car lengths).

I assume that a sawzall can take care of the coffee table on the back of the Cobalt. And the power to weight should be similar to the Civic. But the Cobalt has much more torque. The Cobalt is probably not as balanced as the Civic, but it does have grunt.

Archived