LegacyGT.com

I want a Cobalt SS

Even though the Civic has packed the pounds on over the years it still has the Cobalt by about 300lb.

So the wt difference is about the same as our LGT v/s a Cobalt SS

@ a dragstrip the SS would def be able to take a Civic SI. From a highspeed roll though the civic might actually win.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think the weight difference between the Cobalt and the Civic is that great (2970 vs 2880). I suspect the Civic has better balance and sophistication, and the quality is probably better even though the Cobalt is way beyond the Cavalier. But the Civic motor will always rely on revs - horsepower over torque. The Cobalt has both bhp and lb/ft, which can be fun. And not everyone has a Cobalt. Or a Legacy for that matter...

1709415341_LagSecaGrandAm0506C00228.JPG.c1fa303dc318d05c8b41c4e542258930.JPG

477005982_LagSecaGrandAm0506C00260.JPG.ed04bf1eb6c4f5f78ef17305bd7e7ddf.JPG

Don't get carried away. It'll take a bit for the Cobalt to kick LGT butt (probably stage 2, but stage 1 will get close). And the LGT is still a few notches above in quality. For a lighter "pocket rocket" though I would probably rather have the Cobalt over the Civic. The GTI and the new Mazdaspeed3 would be fun competition in that group (though both are a little heavier at around 3100 lbs). But I like the Cobalt for not being like everyone else, for having been thought through a bit at the factory (the race engineer at Laguna Seca said they did some engineering and shake down runs at the Nurburgring), and, as I said before, its domestic rental car bloodlines. They were really dominant this year at Laguna Seca and generally in the Grand Am series. And they were fun to watch. One had kicked up the rear roll stiffness to the point of hoisting the inside rear tire off the ground on high speed turns.

Don't get carried away. It'll take a bit for the Cobalt to kick LGT butt (probably stage 2, but stage 1 will get close). And the LGT is still a few notches above in quality. For a lighter "pocket rocket" though I would probably rather have the Cobalt over the Civic. The GTI and the new Mazdaspeed3 would be fun competition in that group (though both are a little heavier at around 3100 lbs). But I like the Cobalt for not being like everyone else, for having been thought through a bit at the factory (the race engineer at Laguna Seca said they did some engineering and shake down runs at the Nurburgring), and, as I said before, its domestic rental car bloodlines. They were really dominant this year at Laguna Seca and generally in the Grand Am series. And they were fun to watch. One had kicked up the rear roll stiffness to the point of hoisting the inside rear tire off the ground on high speed turns.

I was reffering to the Grand Am cup.

Dont laugh at me. :( I like them. I want t small car that isn't a little bit*h. Colbalt is small, i like the styling, and like I said can be tuned to kick a WRX ass on the track. Just ask one of the Lock brothers. :icon_surp

Check out the Pontiac version. Much cleaner body desigh IMO.

Yeah. I get ya. In Grand Am, the Cobalt is definitely the butt kicker and it looks great out there (franklin, what's the Pontiac version of the Cobalt/Ion chassis?). I used to dislike fwd, but have gotten used to it with my other car and how it can be made fun on the twisties. But I think the rules guys would have to give the Legacy a weight break for it to really compete. And I think the Sube factory would need to show some commitment to the team or the series to get the right rules. Even if the the race results are a little jacked by the rules makers (like life), the Cobalt is definitely a player - the Legacy is a slightly heavier pressurized 2.5l and the Cobalt a slightly lighter pressurized 2.0l. But they race close. The AWD makes for incredibly clean lines through the corners. The Lock brothers are fast but need some help to overcome factory support and being the only Legacy team out there most of the time (I think someone else is running some east coast races) running against lots of other fast cars. It only takes a small hiccup to be out of the show. It's a great series to watch, by the way. Catch it if you can.

Archived