LegacyGT.com

my crucial exhaust...

derffred

sorry to all the mods and admin.. didn't know if this should be in Turbo Powertrains.. or Exterior.. anyway...

a few months ago i received an uppipe, shorty downpipe and catless midpipe from crucial... installed it that weekend.. and i've had NO problems with it...

today, i do an oil change and a tire rotate and a basic inspection of the undercar and find my downpipe from crucial has rust spots... the "thermal coating" is peeling off and rust is showing.. ;\ anyone else have this problem?

i'll jack the car up sometime an take some pics another day...

rust on the downpipe might be associated to you having the bottom of it scratched...that stuff should be resistant to many different conditions, and only one way can make it rust up, and thats if the entire therma coat is broken away...by scraping.

try Emailing crucial...i belive there is one year warrenty, otherwise i wouldnt know, friend had a downpipe coated by an outside manufacterar, and he had his downpipe scraped really badly on one of those garage bumps, his car was lowered though

yaeh my crucial midpipe is having that problems, its all patchy and rusty.
do you have the race pipe ie. not cat? or the hf catted version? because I believe the race pipe is made of mild steel...

Got Torque ?

Through a winter's worth of salt and grime that's done HORRIBLE things to my LGT's stock exhaust system as well as that of my wife's WRX, I can honestly say that after having carefully inspected my Crucial UP and DP, they're both totally unmolested. The Cerametallic coating has held up wonderfully, and the pipes, with the exception of surface "grime," are as-new.

Although I don't think it is likely that 304 stainless, with the addition of their proprietary coating, would even surface-oxidize, it still remains a possibility. Even though the metal itself is high-grade "stainless," it still can and will oxidize given the right conditions and hazard exposure, and definitely, although my own experience has shown the Crucial cerametallic coating to be quite resilient to dings and tool-scrapes, there have been a very low number of cases where others were able to chip/damage theirs. Certainly, the two factors combined can cause early corrosion.

SpawnGT, like brother Mines said, "mild steel" is simply steel that's not technically "stainless." One of my other hobbies is knife collecting, and even the various exotic (and very, very pricy) "stainless" steels that many of the ultra-high-end manufacturers and custom knife-makers utilize can still only said to be "rust-resistant," not truly "rust-proof."

Think of "stainless" as one would speak of a "bullet-proof" vest. It's never truly "bullet-proof," just bullet-resistant. ;)

As-stated on Crucial's own website in open-language, the "Race" mid-pipe is made out of this material to keep costs down (so, brother j255c, mudfoot is right on the ball with his technical spot), as it is a much cheaper material. Their intent with coating this component is to help extend its life, but as with any mild-steel exhaust component, some oxidation, unfortunately, is to be expected. Especially in the mid-pipe's position, it'll take a beating from road-salt/grime, as well as likely any type of stone/gravel chips and dings.

Hit Crucial up for their lifetime warranty....they're definitely good for it, and Jeremy will no-doubt do you right! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 weeks later...
no sorry, my car is making some kind of noise when i slightly rev the engine.. it's like a knocking type "cricket" sound.. i don't know what it is.. so tomorrow after work i'll throw my car on the lift, an take pics of my exhaust as well as try to diagnose this new noise.. you can't hear it under the hood, only under the car.. in the area of where the shorty meets the midpipe..

see this worries me...what the hell is mild steel...?
It shouldn't worry you. Mild steel says nothing about the quality of the steel. All steel has to meet fairly rigorous alloy requirements from the mill.

What "mild" steel means is that it's low carbon content (0.05% to 0.26%). This makes it good for bending, machining, welding, etc...ie., it's good for general fabrication. Almost all of the fabrication with steel done at my company is done with "mild steel." It doesn't have as high a hardness or tensile strength as higher carbon content steels, but for an exhaust pipe, that's fairly irrelevant.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

:lol: So much for that nice Crucial Coating!

umm...the mild steel midpipe gets a powdercoat, not their thermal coating. RTFM!

To protect it for a lifetime of rust-free use, we have these pipes professionally powdercoated with a special black powdercoat designed for very high temperature environments. It's durable and quite attractive.

pics of my rotting midpipe ;\ (everything else is fine.. shorty downpipe, uppipe)

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/1561913099.jpg&s=f5

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15619124578.jpg&s=f5

umm...the mild steel midpipe gets a powdercoat, not their thermal coating. RTFM!

To protect it for a lifetime of rust-free use, we have these pipes professionally
powdercoated with a special black powdercoat designed for very high temperature environments. It's durable and quite attractive.

Even if it is powdercoated ... as you pointed out.... It DEFINATELY isn't durable or attractive in those photos. :eek:

Archived