LegacyGT.com

Sneak peek at what's to come....

CasopoliS

I just need to fiberglass the wood to the mold and smooth everything out. I will carpet the box, which will eventually mold to that entire side of the trunk. The sub is recessed so the floor can still raise up without hitting anything.

I took pictures of every step and documented it. A full write-up will come once I am done with everything.

Still a lot of work left.

Oh.... here are the specs

Xtant 3.1 amp - 300W RMS @ 2ohm

Alpine type-R 10" sub - 300W RMS @ 2ohm

665467947_DSCN1577(Large).thumb.JPG.8c365d765c1fec4b308a4fa94873737c.JPG

2097552339_DSCN1617(Large).thumb.JPG.9a322e196c354da7025db2ce352d7646.JPG

183624943_DSCN1627(Large).thumb.JPG.c92a8373378c05d030e37ec20e34d1fd.JPG

231275932_DSCN1630(Large).thumb.JPG.7f4b4944975d693e3342562c19eee9dc.JPG

Oh yea and the circle cut around the sub is crappy because I had to sand and sand then hit it again with the jigsaw then sand a little more. I got lazy and it looks bad. I will make a trim ring that hides this.

This is my first time fiberglassing... it was not that bad, just painfull as I sat in the spare tire well and inhaled fumes.

Looks like a good start. Get a good mask, smelling those fumes WILL make you high in a non-ventilated space.

Oh, and I hope you're not a golfer. ;)

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I am not a golfer. Yea I got enough fresh air because I had to exit the trunk ever 4 oz. of resin!!! I only mixed 4oz at a time, so it took a while. Since you only have 12 minutes to work with once you add the hardner, 4oz is all I could handle.

• 5 months later...

holy CRAP I need to get this done. It has been sitting in my garage for a loooong time now. There are like 3 screws stuck to my magnet... the sub is just sitting there (probably not good for it).

When I did a test hook up, the bass was unreal. Could not hit low pitched tones (I think low frequency is the better term) though because the box had a hole in the side (I was not done yet).

I used fabric to smoothly connect the two pieces (wood and fiberglass), but the resin did not want to dry on that fabric... didnt soak in well. It was like a spandex type fabric. But, once I layerd it on and on I finally got a rigid surface to build off of. The fiberglass job sucks, but once I sand a bit it will be masked by the carpet.

Do you know about glassing the joints from the inside? If it didn't soak in well you should really do that. Oh and definitely drop the $25 for a ventilator mask - those fumes can seriously screw with your brain! I'm still dumb from it a year ago! :icon_mrgr

a local Suby guy has some seizure issues from not using a ventilator. Seems there are two types of resin and one's a 'no no'. :(

As for the install, plywood? Why not MDF? Much easier to work with and more dense. Also.....too late now, but a circle cutter is great for making short work of that cut. :)

a local Suby guy has some seizure issues from not using a ventilator. Seems there are two types of resin and one's a 'no no'. :(

As for the install, plywood? Why not MDF? Much easier to work with and more dense. Also.....too late now, but a circle cutter is great for making short work of that cut. :)

yea there are some things I wish I did differently. circle cutter, mdf, etc. I had a bunch of old wood from my bar - so I deicded to use it. Seems pretty solid. I fiberglassed the two pieces together quite well, and used foam insulation on the inside edges.

Archived