LegacyGT.com

With big brakes, anyone upgrading their brake master cylinder?

oister

As the topic said, anyone thought about upgrading to the larger brake master cylinder?

Legacy ones are 15/16", the STI one is 1 1/16" I think. For those who are fortunate enough to see both cars all the time (shop or owners), do the two units look like they would swap?

Not sure that would be an upgrade. If your measurements are at all accurate, it would mean you'd have to step on the brake pedal 28% harder to develop the same line pressure to the calipers. The hydraulic advantage in a brake system depends on the ratio between the master cylinder's bore and the wheel cylinder (caliper) bore. You'd be going the wrong direction by installing a larger master. Pedal stroke would be reduced at the expense of requiring greater effort.

I've got Brembo's all around, and I think the stock MC does just fine:icon_bigg !

Brake pedal input is immediate & firm as well. It certainly increased the pedal responsiveness over stock, but I thought it might have had to also do with the ds2500 pads? Either way, I love the braking action....

One question....Doesn't the LGT's vacuum booster have a different ratio as well, effectively changing the pedal pressure required?

Not sure that would be an upgrade. If your measurements are at all accurate, it would mean you'd have to step on the brake pedal 28% harder to develop the same line pressure to the calipers. The hydraulic advantage in a brake system depends on the ratio between the master cylinder's bore and the wheel cylinder (caliper) bore. You'd be going the wrong direction by installing a larger master. Pedal stroke would be reduced at the expense of requiring greater effort.

+1 on that, not to mention the havoc it would play with ABS and EBD.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

One question....Doesn't the LGT's vacuum booster have a different ratio as well, effectively changing the pedal pressure required?

Not sure about the pressure...but the LGT & STI vacuum boosters are different part numbers:

2005 LGT:

Vacuum Booster - 26402AG05A

Master Cylinder - 26401AG010

2005 STi:

Vacuum Booster - 26402FE000

Master Cylinder - 26401AC191

That is kinda the point, a shorter stroke. I prefer the feel of grabbing brake with a shorter stroke at the expense of "firmer" brake pedal. I guess its all preference...since I consider a "firmer" pedal better than a "mushier" pedal.

It makes heal-toe a bit easier too since I wouldn't have to bring the heal back up as much, at a given brake force.

• 3 years later...
BBK looks cool, new master cylinder doesn't; therefore no master cylinder upgrades unless someone starts making colored master cylinders :lol:

:lol::lol:

Holy Cra*. Are intimating that a BBK will not stop in shorter distance than standard brakes on the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cripes, I have to stop tailgating;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived