LegacyGT.com

PGT's thoughts on the Legacy during a long road trip - rant and raves inside

I think the LGT seats are pretty good. Although hard, they are shaped very well. My legs are long, so they tend to fall asleep after a few hours in any car. Tilting the front of the seat bottom upward tends to help.

I liked the seats in my 1995 Legacy LS... they were incredibly comfortable on long trips. However they weren't very inspiring during spirited driving.

If you want to experience bad seats, you should sit in my Trailblazer (company car). They are absolutely horrible.

LOL I would NEVER sit in a trailblazer, unless I had absolutely no choice in the matter whatsoever :lol:

Sorry you have to put up with that gas hog.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see Georgia from the beach. ;) Heading west to Vance next week....stopping by the BMW factory, then up to Asheville, NC. Maybe a side trip the the Dragon, before heading north to VA again.

I'll be in asheville (weaverville to be exact) in a couple of weeks may 11-14..taking a bunch of friends rafting at a couple of places on the weekend then. We're rolling out there from eville indiana in an 05 LGT wagon and an 05 LGT sedan :)..thats a hot caravan

LOL

I think the boats would act as an airplane wing at those speeds.

"PGT, you are GO for launch."

Coming back from BC we saw two Chrysler mini-vans pass us. 10 mins later we saw one and then two minivans with roof top ski carriers that had come open and skiis and snowboards everywhere. The kids were running through traffic to get them. I estimate they were going about 75 mph, but it was in a gusty windy area.

25k in the first year.

You bet I do alot of driving.

At least one 6 hour trip up 101 to San Fran every month.

Seats are fine for my fat ass, but I get a right knee problem from rubbing up against the console.

I wish I have this car when I lived in Europe, I would be doing 120 all day long!!!

F-ing RADIO!!!!!! Must have mp3...

Seats are fine for me too several 3 - 4 hour trips so far. Incidentally I test drove a 2003 Mustang Cobra SVT prior to my purchase of the LGT.......Talk about horrible seats, with 400 hp and a stiff suspension bad road trip combination.

LGT very nice road trip car.

Also nothin in my pockets.

The wife and I made a trip down to Winston-Salem NC recently, driving for 3-4 hours at a time between fill-ups. No complaints with the seats. The only thing that would be nice is a telescoping steering wheel to get a better driving position. But I digress....
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

I'll be in asheville (weaverville to be exact) in a couple of weeks may 11-14..taking a bunch of friends rafting at a couple of places on the weekend then. We're rolling out there from eville indiana in an 05 LGT wagon and an 05 LGT sedan :)..thats a hot caravan

:lol: Weaverville..the last place for cell phone service for a while!!! word of warning, don't drive over the speed limit on 26..n00b cops will get ya every time!

PGT, give word when you head to A'ville or the BMW factory.

Kenda:dm:

I drive back and forth from Baltimore to New York frequently, and everytime by the 3rd hour I am dying to get out of the car because my ass is sore. Hmm.. i guess a pretty good joke could be made out of that statement :lol:

Coming from an STi I find the seats rather comfy:lol:

On long trips in the STi(6-7hours) wifey never complained about the seats or suspension,,, until we sold it and got the GT,then she complained about the STi:icon_roll ....now shes all over me about how nice her seats are in her Legacy Si LTD :lol:

I've found the seats to be decently comfortable though definately not the greatest on long trips. They're far from the most comfortable out there, but much farther from the worst. I personally find I can't adjust the passenger seat to be as comfortable as the drivers with its greater adjustability, but I've yet to get any complaints from actual passengers about it so I guess it's not too bad.

High speed (80+ mph, but especially 100+) stability isn't bad compared to most cars I've driven, but I still expected a little better. My last car, an $18k Lancer Ralliart "sport compact," felt more stable at 100+ mph. The LGT is certainly more stable than, say, a Camry, or your average rental car, but IMO it should be more stable still. The Ralliart did have a firmer, more controlled suspension and rode slightly lower. Because of that it rode rougher than the LGT around town, but the tradeoff was worth it IMO.

Wind noise is okay. It's no Lexus but it's comparable to the Ralliart, which was FAR better in that regard than my first car (a 1993 Saturn SL - the "SL class" as I called it :D). I might be willing to trade the frameless windows' good looks for less wind noise, though, depending on the actual tradeoff of course. Crossbars alone add a good bit more wind noise, especially with the sunroof shade open. That's hardly unique to the LGT though.

Road/tire noise is much lower than in the Ralliart w/ stock RE92s on each (the Ralliart came with RE92s too).

Wind noise actually seems louder in the LGT btw, but I'm pretty sure that's just because there's much less road noise to mask it. I think in reality it's no worse than in the Ralliart because the LGT doesn't seem noisier overall. I've yet to make up my mind on whether road noise or wind noise bothers me more.

There's definately less engine and exhaust noise in the LGT than in the Ralliart. The Ralliart's engine and exhaust sounded far better though and it wasn't too noisey for me, so the LGT is actually a step down there. Note that the sound of the turbo spooling up doesn't really do much for me - if you like it then the LGT probably sounds better to you than it does to me.

Rain noise is a bit lower than I recall in the Ralliart and certainly acceptable. Opening the sunroof shade adds about the same amount of extra noise, but that's acually better in a way too because the LGT's sunroof is 2-3x as large. (I love the giant sunroof!) The Ralliart didn't have any sound insulation on its trunk lid though, so seat(s) down vs seat(s) down the Ralliart was much noisier in the rain, with most of the extra noise coming from the trunk. (The lack of trunk lid insulation only mattered in the rain with the seats down.)

So, after nine hours and 650 miles in the car yesterday, I've realized a few things.

First - Subaru - learn how to make comfortable ****ing seats!!!! I thought it was just me.....my fiancee remarked how hard the seats are. First thing I'm doing on my return north is ordering some replacements.....there's no substitute for comfortable seats. :(

Interesting... I drove for 17 hours nearly non-stop in my GT once and never got uncomfortable.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• 5 months later...
I also just discovered this thread, and I'm in the camp that likes the seats (I've had my LGT three weeks). In fact, the comfort of the driver's seat was what I first noticed about the car from the inside. I'm 6'3" and an overweight 220. I like the side support and also the lumbar support. I guess they're just shaped right for me. And for a few passengers too. Oh, I came from a Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon and I prefer the LGT seats, especially the side support.

. Two kayaks strapped to the roof and a wagon full of camera gear, luggage and a wedding dress.

Great. One more bizzaro wedding. What the hell. I've seen people get married while sky diving, scuba diving, and bungee jumping.

You know this wedding's going to last. At least you won't have to fight over a single kayak.

http://www.destgulch.com/movies/deliver/deliv09.jpg

Great. One more bizzaro wedding. What the hell. I've seen people get married while sky diving, scuba diving, and bungee jumping.

You know this wedding's going to last. At least you won't have to fight over a single kayak.

http://www.destgulch.com/movies/deliver/deliv09.jpg

:lol:

we roadtripped to Daufuskie Island, SC for the wedding. We rented a $3M beach house for a week and had friends and family come and stay with us. After the wedding at the Melrose mansion on Daufuskie, we drove north to Lake Lure, NC and Asheville. We made a run over 'The Dragon' and to Knoxville, then found our way back north. 2k miles in two weeks and we were both convinced the seats could be better. :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/img_6783.jpg

Archived