LegacyGT.com

Super Spec B?

BigT

Anybody think that Subaru will turn their Spec B line into a real competitor for the Super Sport Sedans (M3, S4 etc.)? I think that if they came out with a more powerful engine for the B9 they could mod it for a sportier version of the Spec B. Anybody else see this as a likely possibility if Subaru continues it's rising sales for both models?

-T

Yeah I think they will, in '08, it will be called the STi, and will be had for thousands less than the competion, while blowing the doors off everything in that class. It will become the end all be all Subaru, and the Legacy will rightfully reclaim its status as flagship of the Subaru family of vehicles. That is until the B9 STi comes out in '09. :icon_lol:

Maybe it'll sell in the US where the price of fuel is reasonable. In the rest of the world it'll just be marginalized, I mean the H6 consumes way to much fuel as it is.

campared to a bmw or audi? depends on driving i would think, and economics... $30k car that gets slightly worse mileage vs $50k+ cars that get marginally better mileage if they get better mileage at all

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

campared to a bmw or audi? depends on driving i would think, and economics... $30k car that gets slightly worse mileage vs $50k+ cars that get marginally better mileage if they get better mileage at all

My Legacy H6 consumes 12 - 13 litres per 100km. Both Audi and Audi gets better milage. So what if they mount a blower on top of that. Fun I admit but economical suiside

The BMW 550i is rated for 16/23 mpg. The way a 550i driver drives one, they are lucky to get 12 mpg. I've seen them in Germany - the folks who have them are completely unaware that they are paying $5.57/gal. They could care less. The hypothetical t-t H6 would be targeting drivers who just hand over their credit card at the pump and let their accountants deal with the price of petrol...
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Guest JessterCPA

Not going to happen. People just simply will not pay serious dough for a Subaru.

Use VW as a good example. Didnt sell too many of those W8 Passat's and those Phaeton's. As good as those vehicles are (and they are), the general public, and snobby USA'er, just are not ready for a expensive car from a perceived cheap brand.

Just my .02.

Jesse

Well, one could easily point out that the main problem VW had with those cars is that they had direct internal competition from the Audi A6 and A8, which were virtually equivalent cars with more standard features and AWD for approximately the same price point. Kinda like the Saab 92X problem, only in reverse. It was an example of product development without any thought to positioning. A German car company pulling the old Chevy/Pontiac nonsense.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Guest JessterCPA
Well, one could easily point out that the main problem VW had with those cars is that they had direct internal competition from the Audi A6 and A8, which were virtually equivalent cars with more standard features and AWD for approximately the same price point. Kinda like the Saab 92X problem, only in reverse. It was an example of product development without any thought to positioning. A German car company pulling the old Chevy/Pontiac nonsense.

Good point. I still think it's a valid analogy though.

Jesse

Subaru needs to stay south of 40K.

2008 Legacy STI for 39K:

DCCD with stability control

350HP DI 2.5L twin-scroll (minimal turbo lag needed)

keep weight in check

bigger/better brakes

stiffer suspension

telescoping wheel

faster steering

revised interior

HIDs

Will dominate all of the 300HP-320HP cars in the class (G35, new BMW 335i, Audi S4, IS350 etc..) in terms of performance and come very close in terms of refinement and interior quality, all for equal cost (Japanese competitors) or for much less (German competitors)

I'm just worried that Subaru being small as it is won't be able to make changes quickly enough as the competition moves forward with adding turbos, awd, and performance sedans into the LGT price range as Subaru goes upscale.

Maybe it'll sell in the US where the price of fuel is reasonable. In the rest of the world it'll just be marginalized, I mean the H6 consumes way to much fuel as it is.

I don't think USD 3 per galon, is reasonable at all my friend!!!! heheheheheheh

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

2008 Legacy STI for 39K:

keep weight in check

bigger/better brakes

stiffer suspension

telescoping wheel

faster steering

revised interior

HIDs

Will dominate all of the 300HP-320HP cars in the class (G35, new BMW 335i, Audi S4, IS350 etc..) in terms of performance and come very close in terms of refinement and interior quality, all for equal cost (Japanese competitors) or for much less (German competitors)

I'm just worried that Subaru being small as it is won't be able to make changes quickly enough as the competition moves forward with adding turbos, awd, and performance sedans into the LGT price range as Subaru goes upscale.

Completely agree with you man....

Subaru takes forever to adapt to the market, for how long have we mentioned the H6 or twin scroll turbo in the US, besides emissions, no reason for waiting way too much time and let the competition win...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I don't think USD 3 per galon, is reasonable at all my friend!!!! heheheheheheh

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I wish we in Europe had those prices. We know you guys are spoiled with CHEAP prices. BTW I just saw on the news that EXXON made a healthy profit! Them boys ought to thank George, don't they?

2008 Legacy STI for 39K:

keep weight in check

bigger/better brakes

stiffer suspension

telescoping wheel

faster steering

revised interior

HIDs

Hellz yeah I would buy this in a second

Not going to happen. People just simply will not pay serious dough for a Subaru.

People wont even pay alot of money for Acura. Certain models yeah. But if you had $52,000 to spend would you spend it on an RL? No. Id go 5 series.

Subaru needs to stay under $40K. Though my dad is not a big fan of Subaru, he was convinced that the new LGT would be in the $40s and he would pay that much for one if he were buying a car.

Hell yeah to the 08 Sti under 40K!

It was my understanding that an S4 would roast a stock LGT, maybe not that badly on a straight away, but throw in some curves and we might as well have Fred Flinstone driving!

Archived