LegacyGT.com

Super Spec B?

BigT

Well, rode in one, and I've seen them on the road. Audi suspension is pretty legit. They're kind of known for it. Plus suspension is the weakest point of the legacy. Even when I was reading up on it before I got it, the only area where the legacy didn't receive above average ratings was it's 'at the limit handling'. I agree. I've got a JDM 20mm rear sway, which made a big difference for the money, but the handling still doesn't match the power. There is a fairly large imbalance, but I plan on fixing it pretty soon with some springs. Anyway, none of this changes the fact that the legacy could very easily be made a much more powerful car by Subaru, and they could make a real competitor for AMG, and other such powerhouses, for under 40K.

20 watts difference is inaudible anyway for most people. A 3db increase in power is double the original spec. So if you really want something to compare. Double your power. No substitute for clean high power. So I would love 200 watts plus power. I had over a kilowatt of power in my company van. Shut off the ignition everytime the 1812 Overture cannon blasts went off. Went to twin batteries to solve the current starvation problem.:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Well, one could easily point out that the main problem VW had with those cars is that they had direct internal competition from the Audi A6 and A8, which were virtually equivalent cars with more standard features and AWD for approximately the same price point. Kinda like the Saab 92X problem, only in reverse. It was an example of product development without any thought to positioning. A German car company pulling the old Chevy/Pontiac nonsense.
The Passat W8 came with AWD standard, was as nicely equipped as an Audi, and was considerably cheaper than the A6's with comparable power. The Passat was a considerably smaller car though; I would consider it more of an "L4", i.e. a high-end luxury version of the A4, as opposed to the sporty S4.

I think Jesster is right; if the Passat W8 had Audi badges, I think it would have sold a lot better. Most (not all) people that spend $40K on a car want people to be impressed, and a VW badge just isn't as impressive as an Audi badge. I test drove one with 6MT in August '04, when leftover new ones were being offered for low-$30's. It was a very nice car, with nicer fit & finish than my '98 A4 2.8Q, and the W8 engine was very smooth and powerful.

Archived