LegacyGT.com

2007 Jeep Patriot

As a former Jeep guy, this was of great interest to me, especially in light of the fact that this vehicle was one I was considering (it was in concept while I was shopping around and found/fell in love with the LGT).

What do you guys think of it?

Dagwood

p.s. Please keep the Compass-bashing to a minimum .. yes, I hate it too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/productionpatriot.jpg

Looks pretty good, I'd say. (And yes, the Compass is an abomination, the next Aztek.) My problem is that I don't understand Jeep's market strategy right now. The Grand Cherokee would be considered a "mid-size" SUV, I believe, and Jeep will soon have four (4!) different 4-door models sized smaller than that: Liberty, Patriot, Compass, and the 4-door Wrangler. I don't see all those models bringing all that many new customers to Jeep - I just see them cannibalizing sales from each other, which doesn't sound like a very profitable approach to take.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I think you're right scooter, except that I bet the 4-door wrangler will be considered a mid-size (the 07 wrangler is just bigger in every dimension than the current-gen). I get that they're trying to squeeze as many models off the caliber platform as they can, to make/keep the Belvedere plant efficient, but still .. sometimes I think that maybe the only purpose of the compass is to make the patriot look better.

I wonder how the patriot will stack up against the forester

Same chassis as Dodge Caliber, the platform of which is based on the next generation Lancer (according to MT). How well will this thing perform off road? I personally don't like that Jeep is going for wider market appeal with more car-like vehicles. It may very well be a wise business decision but I feel they are losing their rugged image.

Another two-box SUV?

Yippie Skippie. Caliber, This, liberty, and every other manufacturer has one of these boring vehicles that drive like trucks, yet have all the towing and capacity of a good car.

All the drawbacks, and none of the advantages...

Now, when every company in the market has a sleek and cool sport coupe, then I'll be impressed.

I have sat in one and as a long time Jeep fan I am happy to have one that looks more like a Jeep again...I owned 3 cherokees and 2 Grand's (still have my CJ).

This is not an offroad Jeep its unlikely that it will be trail rated (the compass isn't) and if isn't I will not purchase it and go with the Forester for the wife...if I want AWD I buy a Sub if I want 4x4 w/low range I buy a Jeep simple as that.

She is up for a new car this winter (when the baby comes) and it will likely be between this and a Forester.

Domestic car without reliability, safety or resale value and it guzzles gas... no thanks I will pass. My wife will continue to drive our 2006 Honda Pilot.

http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/aic/honda_pilot_ex4wd5spdat_2006_450x225.jpghttp://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/ag/honda_pilot_ex2wd5spdat_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

But the most important part is under hood- 3.5L 244hp I-VTEC engine working through 5sp auto and electronically controlled 4WD VTM-4

http://honda.jbcarpages.com/Pilot/2003/Bilder/2003%20Pilot%20Engine.jpg

Sorry.....give me the new FJ....on road or off...no competition!

Nah, I've looked into those quite a bit and there are too many reasons not to get one. Visibility is horrid in all directions which sucks on road or off. The rear seats will fold down, but with a resulting hump, which makes sliding large objects in a pain in the arse. The rear seats are difficult to access and then tiny once you do. If you're unfortunate enough to sit back there you have only a tiny window that doesn't open and isn't even right beside you, if you turn your head you stare at the pillar. I like the full time AWD, but it's only on the MT:confused:.

Too many flaws to consider it over the Xterra. It may have more flair and be a tad bit better off road, but not enough to sacrifice that much. I was actually really disappointed because I had such high hopes when I first heard about it.

This is not an offroad Jeep its unlikely that it will be trail rated (the compass isn't)
actually I'm pretty sure that it will be, if you get the right options, though I seriously question the caliber underpinnings.

if I want AWD I buy a Sub if I want 4x4 w/low range I buy a Jeep simple as that.

amen.

i'm no off-roader, but something tells me that if I were, I'd have a wrangler.

those liberty videos hurt, especially the second one. I wonder how much of the blame belongs to the Jeep, and how much to the driver?

the one with the awful country music where dude rips the front axle off is down in the Shenandoah, south of Rt 33 along Fire Road 86. I've done that same incline in my stock Wrangler with offroad package (Dana 44 and 30" tires, but no skid plates). I made it up fine. ;)

Domestic car without reliability, safety or resale value and it guzzles gas... no thanks I will pass. My wife will continue to drive our 2006 Honda Pilot.

Yes, we know you sell Honda's. Not everybody wants a minivan based SUV with AWD.

<---- has access to a Ridgeline and knows how excellent the drivetrain is ;)

the one with the awful country music where dude rips the front axle off is down in the Shenandoah, south of Rt 33 along Fire Road 86. I've done that same incline in my stock Wrangler with offroad package (Dana 44 and 30" tires, but no skid plates). I made it up fine. ;)

actually, I was looking at wranglers before I picked the LGT. Those rubicons are NUTS!!

I couldn't justify the price, comparative lack of safety, or poor gas mileage, though, seeing as I didn't really intend to take it off the beaten path (though I would love it when that same beaten path was covered in a couple feet of snow).

It just made more sense to get a car .. so I got a really good car.

Speaking of Wrangler I assume you all seen the new for 07 2 door (check out jeep.com if not) but here is a picture of the four door!

http://home.comcast.net/~e_sheep/tech/4door-1.jpg

I LOVE IT! other than that color...can't wait to see a Rubicon in Red!

Back on topic, I found this Patriot article on LeftLaneNews:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/09/2007-jeep-patriot-unveiled/

I actually like the sound of this - I think it's a good fit for Jeep as their entry-level vehicle... just need to do away with the Compass before it even hits the market, so this CAN be their entry level-vehicle. From the article, they are claiming at least one "Trail Rated" model being available, and even if you don't really believe that I'd say you probably have to believe it's still going to be more off-road capable than the other vehicles in it's class. And it looks like Jeep designed this with a keen eye towards the European market, and I think it's pretty well-suited for that, assuming their sales projections are reasonably humble. This vehicle with the 2 liter Diesel just might be a pretty fun combination. I predict modest success for the Patriot.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived