LegacyGT.com

Trying to chase down a misfire..Successful!

So, I have been having intermittent misfires recently. Actually just shortly after getting tuned. So I called up my tuner, and he mentioned to check the plugs, being that I had 46.5k miles, it was worth a shot.

I started my plug swap last night and in about 1 hour and 10 minutes completed the passenger side. It was late when I started, so I put off the left side to today.

I got started and things went pretty smoothly, until I had to re-install the #4 coil. It wasn't sitting properly, and took close to an hour of back hurting, and sore fingers before I finally used some WD40 on the outside of the plug boot, and it slipped in with minimal force. I buttoned everything back up, and when I started her up, bad misfire and rough running. I quickly stuck my hand in to disconnect the coils one at a time ti diagnose which cylinder.

Unfortunately, it was #4:icon_mad: ! Murphy's law says it has to be.... Well, I had to take the battery back out, and what I did was first remove the plug to ensure it was cracked. It was fine. So I swapped the #2 coil with the #4(suspected bad). Afterwards I fire up the engine, and again misfiring & sputtering.

I pull the connector to the forward coil, no change. Pull the #4 coil, and it got worse. So, the problem followed the bad coil, so it is indeed bad.

Off to the dealer tomorrow, to get reamed on a new one:( . They are about $80 ea! Ouch!

Just thought I'd describe my Sunday afternoon....

dam that does suck. when i did my plug swap i noticed that the #3 clyinder coil had rust on it. so im on the look out for that to go bad soon.

1 hour 10 mins for just the passenger side thats a long time. i did all 4 in about 30 mins.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Yeah, I clocked from start to finish, including picking up tools. I was wrestling with getting the #3 coil back in for about 20 minutes, before a light clicked, and I rotated the coil to get it in. Duh!

So, having done these now, I can confidently likely do all 4 in about an hour.

Good for you on doing it in 1/2 hr, but honestly I don't see how you did it, unless you don't count total start to finish time. I used a stopwatch...

im a caddy tech so i use air tools and have all the special sockets to make the job easy. plus i use a lift so i dont kill my back.

sucks that you ended up with a bad coil, was there any sign of wear on it or rust? im worried that #3 will go bad on me soon since it was allrdy showing signs of rust at only 6k.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

im a caddy tech so i use air tools and have all the special sockets to make the job easy. plus i use a lift so i dont kill my back.

sucks that you ended up with a bad coil, was there any sign of wear on it or rust? im worried that #3 will go bad on me soon since it was allrdy showing signs of rust at only 6k.

Well, the coil looked perfect, actually! It had just been running rough at differing times, coouldn't pin it down through datalogging either. I also had a P0301- Cyl. #1 misfire CEL. However, Subie's are famous for throwing these, and they aren't always what the CEL says, as #1 could have been misfiring because #4 started it first, or something like that....

Anyway, I really had no indication, and it seemed odd that it died permanently during the plug change, but I guess the movement finished the job! From my troubleshooting I know that is definitely is the coil. At least it's in the #2 cylinder, so it is the easiest to get at:icon_bigg !

.........Good for you on doing it in 1/2 hr, but honestly I don't see how you did it, unless you don't count total start to finish time. I used a stopwatch...

LOL, why are you guys timing yourselves? Are you punching a time clock at home, when you work on your own car?

Archived