LegacyGT.com

Suspension noob - JDM rear sway bar?

jcole05

Just got my AP and, for the first time, am feeling that the body roll in my legacy is a bit too much. My car is a daily driver for me, so I'm just looking for a small upgrade to reduce body roll a bit.

After reading some threads, I was wondering if a JDM rear sway bar would be a good solution. Do you guys agree that this makes sense as my first, and maybe only, suspension upgrade?

I'm sure tires will be mentioned. I'd rather keep the RE92s, even knowing they suck, and get good tires once they wear out. If this is the case, should I just wait and get a sway bar then? Or will I still see some benefit from it even with crappy tires.

Finally, I'm a bit concerned about increasing oversteer a lot, because I'm by no means a professional driver and I want to keep some margin of "understeer" safety. Seems like a simple 20mm rear sway bar upgrade is pretty mild and just makes the car more neutral. Am I correct?

Thanks.

PS. Also feeling that the brakes are a bit mushy. Is the install for SS lines easy, or does it require a professional? Probably will upgrade pads as well, but need to search the threads for opinions about the best ones to get.

I was also leaning towards a rear sway bar as my first modification. Over the weekend i put i went to atlanta and put on 1000 miles and i realized that body roll needs to be reduced. fun trip though:icon_bigg!

Ummm, usually a stiffer rear sway bar INCREASES oversteer. A stiffer front will increase understeer! The car may track better but it still will oversteer.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Hey VTGT - Alexandria, VA to Atlanta was my first drive also, was also the way I got the break-in period out of the way in a hurry. Bought my car at Beyer Subaru in Alexandria (great guys up there, BTW) and drove it home to Atlanta.

I like my JDM rear bar on the wagon. It makes it very close to neutral. If I go in hot, I still get a little understeer. Add some power and I go neutral. Lift-off and the rear comes out a little. Perfect :D

Ted

:spin:

sounds like most people are happy with the JDM bar but i do see some people moving to larger bars later. i went with cusco f+r and am extremely pleased. still a hint of understeer but i can throttle steer more effectively now and body roll is basicall nil. initial turn in is drastically improved. as expected, bumps experienced in turns are felt more than they were before but its an acceptable tradeoff for me.

The JDM bar is a nice upgrade and stock fitment to boot means no install/fitment worries!! I was concerned too about how much oversteer I'd wind up with but I'm happy to say it is in no way dangerous, very subtle. You have to really push it on the throttle through turn to really get the car to rotate. However, it is defintley better for rotation over the stock bar. On a highway offramp I take everyday I used to push 50 mph max through the turn and would always have to get a little throttle lift oversteeer to get the car to tuck back in but with the JDM bar I can walk past 55mph easily at that point I can start to feel some rotation and I don't have to lift on the throttle to carry my speed through.

Stock endlinks FTW too. My vote is don't bother with aftermarket endlinks.

Do you still have 4 wheel independent suspension?

If you go over a bump on the right-side do you also feel it on the left-side?

I thought that might be an issue; more rocking from side to side, but in fact its like the (rear-only at present) bar in mine allows the bumps to be absorbed just a well but dampens excess movement. So coming of a speed hump at an angle, for example, there is less lurch and in fact a better ride.

NVM, seems everything would work better with JDM RSB installed =)

• 2 months later...
If you haven't yet, I'd do the mod. I put on a 21mm Cusco and loved it. Less roll, hardly any change in ride quality (IMHO), only a very slight increase in oversteer which I like and is very controllable (and I'm just an average joe). Note too that your JDM should be less stiff than my Cusco.

Archived