LegacyGT.com

LGT Rims vs. pot holes

I live in upstate New York (about an hour or so north of the city). I have an 06 LGT MT and I really love the car. I went to a concert the other night (Coldplay in Nassau County, Long Island) and did not take my prized new car. Why you ask? It's because I knew that I'd hit some massive pothole and end up denting one, two, three or all four of my rims. I took my beater 1990 CRX Si instead and sure enough I hit some big ass pot holes. It's pretty sad that you'd have to worry about damaging your car driving down in the city or anywhere for that matter. Especially since you have to pay $4.50 each way to cross over into Long Island on the Whitestone bridge. You'd think the roads would be like glass for those kind of tolls.

What's my point? I don't really have one other then to complain about the condition of our roads. I'm sure the northeast is not the only place in the country with crappy roads. I'm noticing a bunch of posters on this forum that have dented wheels and bubbled tires. Not sure if there is any solution except to watch out for the big pot holes or get a tire with a bigger sidewall. Be safe out there.

By the way....Coldplay puts on one hell of a show!!

These rims can take a beatin as long as you're not driving too fast into one.

Well I completely disagree! I've been thru an entire set of oem wheels, in 9 months mind you, due to potholes! Granted I live in North Jersey and I think we have the worst roads in the country, but these wheels are just ridiculous. I have had several other cars that I never bented/ dented a wheel until I got my LGT. Basically if your car is a daily driver and you drive in a place with crappy roads either buy some forged wheels or get some bigger profile tires because these stock wheels dont stand a chance.

I have blown both passenger tires (front/rear)out at about 35 mph and prior to that I pulled into a large square edge curb causing sidewall damage.

I drive metro-nyc every couple months and the roads here in southeastern mass can suck.

These mishaps are embarrasing, but my wheels are fine. I am on my third set of tires with my last two sets being bought right here on the forum.

No one likes re92's and the wheels are changed often by members and sold cheapo.(tires too!!)

My point is that I have tried killing these wheels and haven't replaced any yet. After all it is a rally vehicle.

This is not my beautiful car.

I lost a set of rims to a boston "pot hole"........night time, cars everywhere moved into the right lane.......thawp....my car disappeared and poped back up......sux. I wrote the state of boston, they said if I could prove it they would cover it......of course I couldn't but next time I nail one, I'm stop'n taking a picture, inspect the rim........

But hopefully I won't hit one with this set.......:D

']When did Dutchess move to upstate New York? I must have missed that.

If you talk to anyone from the city they'll say that anything north of the Bronx is upstate or the country. Strange those city folk.:icon_bigg

If you talk to anyone from the city they'll say that anything north of the Bronx is upstate or the country. Strange those city folk.:icon_bigg

Yep. If it ain't in the five boroughs and Long Island, ITS UPSTATE:lol:

Man I was pissed the second day of owning the car i noticed some curb rash and i had no idea how it got there. I went through one really small pot hole very slow but i'm almost positive that was it.

hit a really nasty pothole on monday night that came out of nowhere. It was raining hard and night so I didn't even see it. I could have sworne that I broke something, but so far no problems. It just sounded extreamly nasty.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Have been through a couple of hard potholes here in NYC and the rims are still good. I do always check my tire pressure to make sure that it is u to optimal range.

I had many different types of aftermarket wheels in past cars, and I found that some were softer thatn other depending on the way they were cast.

My last set of aftermarket wheels (ASA) were winnners, and took a lot of beating without bending. NYC is just a tough city, if you can't drive here, then take a cab. :icon_bigg

X

---

Have been through a couple of hard potholes here in NYC and the rims are still good. I do always check my tire pressure to make sure that it is u to optimal range.

I had many different types of aftermarket wheels in past cars, and I found that some were softer thatn other depending on the way they were cast.

My last set of aftermarket wheels (ASA) were winnners, and took a lot of beating without bending. NYC is just a tough city, if you can't drive here, then take a cab. :icon_bigg

X

And they are cheap.. $109 on tirerack.. but 25lbs!! ouch.. I was tempted just for the hell of it. Decent looking too.

They are not the lightest wheels (ASA) but they look pretty good and are tough. Now Mille Miglia wheels are some of the softest wheels. I had three sets of those that by just looking at them the wrong way they would bend.

X

---

Archived