LegacyGT.com

Don't use synthetic first 10,000 miles

Guest PeteAWD
Ladies Gentleman, 05 LGT here. 95 K I'm on my second engine. Long story, I don't want to get into it. My other engine seemed to use a lot of oil. I was always adding oil. Anyway, I had this new long block dropped in by a dealer. 32K I verified it, and the tech did a superior job. I ran conventional oil for 6k. Awesome, no abnormal oil level change. I really drive it aggressively. Anyway, I have this love affair with oil, and I wanted to use Mobil 1 5W 30. Put the Mobil 1 in and it was cool for a few days, now the level is starting to drop. I'm pissed. I'm probably going to drain it and refill with conventional. Anyone have any experiences with this? WTF? I guess the seals in this engine are not compatible with the synthetic Thanks

Check if you get the same trouble if you change oil to 5W40.

It may be that the 5W30 isn't really as thick when it's warm as it should be.

That's an easy experiment.

Just look out for oil leaks at the same time and watch the oil pressure. Unfortunately our cars lacks an oil pressure indicator, which I find is a bit bad. At least the turbo models should have had one, because it would be a good indicator for when it's both time to push it and when it's time to ease off and let things cool down.

453747.png

Guest PeteAWD
Yeah, well I was into it tonight comming into work. Like 90-100 for 7 miles. You know it's just childs play for that car, smooth as a baby's ass. I knew the synthetic wasn't gonna hold and I'm pissed now for not leaving the conventional in. I have a friend who owns an lube business, I think I'm going to drain it ant put the conventional back. I also have the Mobil 1 High capacity filter on, I don't know if that is effecting the issue. I wanted to stay synthetic to go 5000 miles for an oil change. That filter can handle that, it is of the highest quality.

Guest PeteAWD
Oh to address the leak issue, it is dry as a bone, I was under it yesterday. There are absolutely no leaks, nothing on the ground, no odor.

Guest PeteAWD
That is exactly what it's doing, it's too thin and it slipping past the rings. However, it is not visible to the naked eye. That engine is not designed for synthetic. The dealer said so. But I see all these people online using it in their Subarus same engine, they say how great it is. I dunno......

Guest PeteAWD
Noooooo, that's too heavy for that engine, you can starve the valve train for oil, especially in cold conditions, which have started here. I tried a heavier oil with my other engine, trying to get it to maintain the level. The dealer said 5W 30 is the highest you should go for that engine.

That's what 5W says - it won't starve it when it's cold. It's as thin as a single-grade 5 oil when it's cold and thick as a 40 oil when it's warm.

So read up on what the figures says.

Your problem is that the '30' may not be '30' when it's warm, but rather a 5W20 or worse...

453747.png

Noooooo, that's too heavy for that engine, you can starve the valve train for oil, especially in cold conditions, which have started here. I tried a heavier oil with my other engine, trying to get it to maintain the level. The dealer said 5W 30 is the highest you should go for that engine.

I don't think you read your owners manual. They even say you can use a 5W40. Clearly your bad experience is unique, as there are tens of thousands of Subaru owners running synthetic oil. I'd actually consider doing some research about Mobil1, and reading reviews from other Subaru owners about it.

I broke the engine in on the factory fill, then at 1114 miles I did a fill with Motul 8100 in the 5W40 flavor.

Considering Mercedes and Porsche signed off on that oil, and Subaru recommends it, I think I'll be alright.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This is a VERY important decision that requires a lot of thought so that you don't destroy your engine.

I have read bad things about Motul and about changing to synthetic before 10k miles.

I forgot... I'm not supposed to start the car for fear of engine wear.

I do enjoy oil threads quite a bit. No one actually knows what they are talking about, and everyone talks like they do.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived