LegacyGT.com

Why is the new Legacy selling at or near invoice?

Mono

I have seen a number of folks getting the new GT's at slightly over invoice price already. This just seems unusal since this car is brand new this year. Makes me concerned about it's resale value. WRX STi's are selling closer to sticker. Is this due to a shortage in production numbers for the WRX STi?

Supply and demand.. simple economics.. maybe some marketing/sales? Granted there appears to be a voracious appetite for this car based on the posters of this board, but then again this isn't a representative sample of the general population :) Most people I talk to don't really know about the new legacy or have heard about it.. yet.. hopefully..

The answer is inflated invoice prices. In my opinion, I think the invoice price is the best thing that ever happened to car dealers. Let see, the majority of ppl here are getting their Legacies at $100-$500 over invoice. That means the dealership is only making and average of $300 per car sold. How do they stay in business???? Are there additional transactions between the dealer and the manufacturer that they do not disclose? I went into the local sealership and without negotiation they were selling me a 2005 LGT for $500 over invoice. With that being said....the Legacy is the best value with respect to performance, luxury, and utility out there right now. I would pay invoice.

[quote name='rao']Subaru has a 3% holdback so the dealers can make a decent profit by selling the car at invoice. The cars are selling at or near invoice for one reason - the market. That's what they are worth.[/quote] +1

[quote name='frankcal']The answer is inflated invoice prices. In my opinion, I think the invoice price is the best thing that ever happened to car dealers. Let see, the majority of ppl here are getting their Legacies at $100-$500 over invoice. That means the dealership is only making and average of $300 per car sold. How do they stay in business???? Are there additional transactions between the dealer and the manufacturer that they do not disclose? I went into the local sealership and without negotiation they were selling me a 2005 LGT for $500 over invoice. With that being said....the Legacy is the best value with respect to performance, luxury, and utility out there right now. I would pay invoice.[/quote] The dealer holdback on my GT Limited was $1188 plus $200 advertising credit. I paid $500 over invoice so the total dealer profit was $1888 for a car that sat on his lot less than 24 hours. Not too bad!

I ordered my LGT on Monday for invoice. I told them I was able to get the VIP pricing so they could either just give it to me for invoice now or wait for me to get that piece of paper. They just gave me the price w/out the VIP paper. I am still going to get the VIP paper though, just in case. I pulled the exact car I wanted up on edmunds.com right in front of the salesman.. he looked at the price and said.. OK you can have it for that. Pine Belt Subaru, Brick, NJ 08723 :D

It's simple, the car industry is down on pure volume. Why not sell a car like the legacy gt that honestly over half of our customers have no clue have been redesigned and about 80% of the people on the street don't know was redesigned. It's an 05 and there are plenty sitting on the lots and they can always make more. So push them out for invoice or lower who cares. It gets the car on the street, word spreading and sales rolling on a redesign. Thing is this is the time to buy it cause the idea is to sell them cheap now and make them hard to get later when they will NOT sell them cheap. Good example is the 300C by Chrysler, they never have them in stock or good supply so they sell at sticker easy cause the next guy would buy it. Hell it's easier to keep an sti in stock over a 300C. Oh and edmunds never never ever has the exact invoice price right at all. Like I said before membership or not I could care less, I would sell a legacy gt or gt ltd for invoice or heck less right now. Subaru of NE is breathing down everyone's throats to sell volume of any model. You want one just Im me hahaha. <-- Serious on that point Holdback is 4% too for Subie's

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

So, is it possible to negotiate down under the published invoice price? If so, any idea how much? If their holdback is 3% (or 4%), maybe 1%-2% under invoice? The sales manager flat out told me "I'll give you $2000 off sticker and 2.9% financing - can you tell we're desparate here?" when I went in to do the $25 test drive... I also am waiting for my VIP program to kick-in, and perhaps I will see if they'll just grant me that invoice (or below) price early. Good to know.

I can say only but so much on here guys hehe, if you want certain information you have to IM me and I can help you. Again screw this vip stuff we would sell anyone a gt now if you said I will only pay invoice and I have a deposit right now. It's a done deal straight up. Below invoice is stuff I can't talk about on here and in certain cases it may occur. Just so you know when you buy a car at invoice or lower your salesman pretty much makes nothing but simply gets him another "spot" on the board to a possible bonus. That "special" which isn't so special financing on 05's is no gift. The $2,000 thing you will have to IM me on.

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

[quote name='Viperenvy']Again I can only say but so much on here guys, IM me off the forums. I'm just south of boston....[/quote] I think the cat is already out of the bag. [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1633&highlight=[/url]

Yeah yeah I know but I don't try to put it everywhere all over the board, thanks though.... Anyone just IM me it makes it easier for me to help you then to just keep posting IM me IM me over and over

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

Kanoswrx, definately depends on the model, 04 or 05, how much supply/demand of course and the location in the country. Some places like down south or in VA where subaru isn't as popular say as New England or Colorado they will sell it for anything. I've been to Subaru dealers in Va where they didn't have more then 20 total cars in stock cause most are "added" on dealers to places that call themselves an import dealership of all makes and models.

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

Where did you purchase the car for $3300 off sticker? Where are you located? I am currently negotiating via email, and I was about to settle for Invoice price when I read your post.... should i push it down more?

[quote name='GTWag']Where did you purchase the car for $3300 off sticker? Where are you located? I am currently negotiating via email, and I was about to settle for Invoice price when I read your post.... should i push it down more?[/quote] his might be a Limited 5EAT perhaps?

[quote name='gt_ltd'][quote name='crapy']i saw those ad on those free chinese mags saying that every GT is 3K off MSPR took it by phone camera...[/quote] I feel like I just got robbed. :([/quote] Don't worry about it. It depends what part of the country you live in....Here in Colorado, they sure don't sell for invoice.... Subaru....State car of Colorado :D

Archived