LegacyGT.com

BBK Brake Bias List

praedet

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to find the info for '06 WRX rear calipers. Lighter than the LGT ones and possibly larger pistons....they use the same rotor. Could be a good upgrade for those with BBK's.

Good idea, switching a little bit of bias to the rear again.

38.1mm is the piston size. Now, the Q is whether they are a straight bolt on. Would be interesting to try it out. I'd like to get black ones....though some red ones and a rattle can of hi-temp gloss black is ok too :lol:

I'm not a brake guru, but that's what Ken from K&S/wrxbrakes.com just told me single piston/floating = 2 piston fixed for brake bias calculations. 2piston is more responsive and less prone to fade, but that's academic on rear brakes.

I'm not a brake guru, but that's what Ken from K&S/wrxbrakes.com just told me single piston/floating = 2 piston fixed for brake bias calculations. 2piston is more responsive and less prone to fade, but that's academic on rear brakes.

He is right, but more responsive, less weight, and less fade are all good things.

So what about bias, is it same as OEM or does it shift some to the rear.

• 3 months later...

So according to your calculations Praedet, the Rotora 4pot front and 2pot (69.9/30.1%) rear are just about close enough to where the biasing should be for our the Legacy (70/30 being your recommendation)?

What pad mu is that using???

Thanks for the info you've posted here...because of it, I've been having second thoughts about putting a BBK on the legacy that was specifically designed for another car ie- STI, WRX etc...

I talked to Stoptech today, and I was advised NOT to buy a kit made for the WRX, as the piston sizing was drastically smaller than what they recommend...and the STI sizing was 2mm bigger than the WRX kit, but also 2 mm smaller than what they made their LGT specific kit, therefore it wasn't recommended to do that either, because of the biasing situation that you have posted up here (too much front bias)...

If I PM you the piston sizing on the Stoptech kit, can you calculate out for me the bias they have on their kit for the Legacy?

I will PM you back, but the problem is that Stoptech does not release any of their specs, so I can't calculate anything for their brakes...

All biasing calculations are done with an equal front and rear pad Mu...

Ted

:spin:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Ted,

Using this calculator, shows the Brembo F&R setup actually improving the rear bias. And by just using the front Brembo's w/stock rears, is when you create more front bias.

In driving with this setup, I feel the rear brakes grabbing more. You can actually feel the rear pulling down a bit harder. I previously had just the fronts, then both the F&R, and then also various pad combo's, along with ss lines.

I think that the formula used to calculate the number's omitted a critical value, in the radial pad height. This determines the actual swept area of the braking system, and can shift how the brake bias moves. The Stoptech referenced formula has no provision for this, and assumes all brakes will have proportionately equal pad heights. Not true.

The STI Brembo's are one of the largest production brake pads in the world, if this didn't matter then brake manufacturer's would use smaller pads, less cost, space, weight.

The pad height does not affect the actual force the brakes exert because only the piston has fluid behind it. But, a larger pad means that the force is spread out so you don't wear down pad's as quickly. For racing, that is what you want for sure! In actually, the higher radial height can hurt the total torque of the set-up because that meas the pistons might be closer to the hub, so the moment arm is smaller.

The rear STi set-up actually moves the bias more forward because of the MUCH smaller pistons. What you might be feeling is the more rear bias due to stiffer suspension that doesn't allow for as much dive...

Ted

I havent read through this entire thread but has anyone done calculations for bias with stock fron rotors and calipers and the rear RB BBK that uses the stock rear calipers but uses larger rotors(same diameter as the front rotors actually)?

The pad height does not affect the actual force the brakes exert because only the piston has fluid behind it. But, a larger pad means that the force is spread out so you don't wear down pad's as quickly. For racing, that is what you want for sure! In actually, the higher radial height can hurt the total torque of the set-up because that meas the pistons might be closer to the hub, so the moment arm is smaller.

The rear STi set-up actually moves the bias more forward because of the MUCH smaller pistons. What you might be feeling is the more rear bias due to stiffer suspension that doesn't allow for as much dive...

Ted

I have a brake fetish, that's why I love you!:wub:

I actually have the calcs up on the first page for every Front Brake set-up with the RB 316x18mm stock caliper rear set-up. Just noted it in the initial post. My Set-up as of this Friday will be Stock front with the rear RB kit, so 70.2/29.8 bias :D

Ted

I respectfully disagree. The pads have alot to do with braking capability. If they didn't then you would only need to increase piston size. Which in of itself will only allow a higher pinching point, but put thru the same size pads, and it results in almost identical braking. Except the larger psitoned caliper's will be able to lock up the wheel that much easier. There's a reason why swept area has everything to do with pad size & rotor size, and not with piston size.

A cars ultimate braking capability lies within the whole package, and basing that solely on piston area and rotor size isn't telling the whole story.

I have had a few of the mentioned combo's, and the addition of the rear brembo's, clearly gave more bias to the rear. It was felt in the seat, by the additional pulling from the rear.

• 4 weeks later...

Installed KW2 coil-overs. 400/400 spring rates (note much stiffer then OEM especially in the front)

Stock rotors, SS lines, Bobcat pads on all 4.

I have an ABS defeat switch.

Before coil-over install the car was too front-biased. Easy for me to discern this with ABS defeat engaged.

After coil-overs install the car is ever so slightly too rear-biased.

I will be getting AP BBK with ferrodo 2500 street pads, but keeping my same rear set-up.

Depending on the real (not advertised) difference in mu between the bobcats and Ferrodo pads I wonder if this will change my bias even more to the rear.

Once I get my BBK on I will have to select a rear pad that gives me the appropriate bias.

Any suggestions?

SS-Ms...

How does it act w/ abs? Any hint that the rear is locking up first?

My setup w/ KWs is going to be VERY rear biased based on your observations :lol:

Ted

Even with ABS it can hint at it when I drive on pure ice (which was the last 3 days on the highway recently).

The car needs to be slightly front biased mechanically to be safe, I knew that, but now know it for sure!

• 1 month later...

The Front and Rear Legacy Stoptech Kit w/ an upgraded suspension is very close to full lock-up front and rear at the same time. I found this out during bed-in while braking in a slight turn....

If it had been too rear-biased, I would have swapped ends. Too front biased and I would not have continued slowing down at the same rate as the rear lightened and started to swing :lol:

No ABS intrussion during the above maneuver

Ted