LegacyGT.com

Lugnut Torque...

Thanks all. I know, I know...I should have read the manual. Free time isn't one of the things that I have much of, as I have too many other reponsibilities to take care of, so maybe I will look into reading it cover to cover during this weekend. later, i.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Does anyone actually use a torque wrench to tighten their lug nuts? I just make sure my nuts are as tight as I can get them by hand.

over-torque can be bad as well.. I torque my lugs to 95 lbs. 80 lbs is ok, but I opt to go a little bit more.. 120 lbs is too much stress on the stud. I read on the back of some McGard guidelines of torque specs (which are based on bolt pattern, stud sizing and threading specs). Keefe
Keefe

Guest *Jedimaster*
I was playing with my nuts this weekend and found that the dealer had them put on with an air wrench. I had to use my body weight to get my nuts off. Maybe a torque wrench would keep me from being too rough on my nuts.

[quote name='jedimaster']I was playing with my nuts this weekend and found that the dealer had them put on with an air wrench. I had to use my body weight to get my nuts off. Maybe a torque wrench would keep me from being too rough on my nuts.[/quote] The problem with this is that too much torque can warp not only brake discs, but damage wheels, as well. It will also break wheel lock keys. When I am going somewhere that presents the opportunity of gorilla mechanics who just hammer away with the impact, I always check immediately after the car comes down off the lift. If I can't take the nuts off with a T-spinner, I have them retorqued. Getting shops to use hand tools when reinstalling wheels is out of the question, of course... Kevin

[quote name='red beast']wrx i believe 68 - 72 at least that's what i went by and i never saw a tire pass by me. :D[/quote] it's possible...but the tech guy at the local Suby srvc. dept stated 80 ft-lbs. on the WRX wagon. Maybe it was diff. for the sedan? Oh well, at least the manual in the Legacy has it written. Later, i.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
lol.. that's pretty funny! I needed a good laff. Yeah I defainately torque my lugnuts in star pattern, very few tire shops I've been to do torque. Need a breaker bar to get the LUGnuts off after rotations sometimes.:icon_mad: [quote name='DAP']Carefull how you word that...[/quote]

Archived