Who needs installs done?

whitetiger

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a quick question since you're a Mechanic ! If you could answer this question for me it would be most appreciated. The CV Boots on the Front of the LGT, if one tares should all that are in the front suspension be changed or just that side. Plus should I have an after market shop send it out for the work or Send it to the Dealer to bring it all back to spec. Thanks for your advise in advance.

I have a quick question since you're a Mechanic ! If you could answer this question for me it would be most appreciated. The CV Boots on the Front of the LGT, if one tares should all thatare in the front suspension be changed or just that side. Plus should I have an after market shop send it out for the work or Send it to the Dealer to bring it all back to spec. Thanks for your advise in advance.

Yeah the suspension doesn't have anything to do with the CVs. These days once a CV boot is torn, you are best to replace the entire side CV/Axle combo as they sell them as a complete part and the parts are not very expensive at all. A lot of people do a boot replacement but once it's been torn sand/dirt/etc have invaded the grease on the joint and eventually will destroy it (even if you put a new boot on because it's already trapped inside).

On the WRXs the price on a CV/Axle combo is about $75-100/side for the parts and do not need to be done in pairs.

-mike

I had cut my boot installing struts about 15K ago. All the grease flew out during highway driving. I figured I might as well let it go and just replace the whole thing when it dies. So far, no problems.

Yeah no reason to replace it til it's near-failure. You'll hear it start to grind and click a bit before it fails.

-mike

• 3 weeks later...
what was the problem in the end? faulty UP?

Yeah, got a used Bosal from another member 9 months ago, it rattled but I never really checked it out for leaks before we put it in. I have not taken the heatshields off yet to look at it, but I suspect it is rotted through at a weld and/or in the flex section. Put a new Bosal in, everything is good....

I got the Bosal because they make the oem pipe, so I figured there would be no issues, plus it looks stock. I am finding out now that others have had problems with them. I hope the new one holds up....

• 4 months later...

Archived