LegacyGT.com

C&D spec.B review

They must have started hating it recently as WRX made it to their top 10 when it first come here.

Krzys

5 years ago :confused:

Honda/Acura, BMW, and recently Volkswagen get C&D's love...

Pretty much everytime Subaru gets knocked in C&D, R&T has Subaru getting 1st place against the same cars.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any other comparison reviews yet running the LGT/SpecB against, say, the MazdaSpeed 6? Looks like, in the R&T comparo, the SpecB was abnormally fast and the MS6 was suffering from its well noted powerloss issues.

Wonder if the results would hold up in additional head-to-heads, presuming another (non-ringer?) SpecB and an MS6 with its "issues" resolved.

Has anybody who is claiming that BMW sucks ever driven one?

I don't see where anyone said anything along the lines of "BMW sucks"

As C&D claims Subaru priced Spec B. to play with big boys (IS250, A4, BMW 3 series, Infinity G35 etc) and it is not there yet.

I did alot of research before purchasing the Spec B and found alot of information to the contrary. But I guess thats just my opinion.... oh, and Road and tracks opinion as well, as they rated the Spec B above an Audi A4, BMW 325xi, Mazdaspeed6, Lexus IS250, Infinity G35x and the Volvo s40.

[/url]

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929826

But, we're all obviuosly wrong since C&D says the Spec B "is not there yet"

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

Not a ringer... Autoweek did a regular LGT in 5.23s

Speed Magazine

Spec.B(189.2) lost to MS6(190.7) by 1.5 Points but beat the Audi A4 S-Line(167.9) by 21.3 Points

Motortrend

Spec.B beat the MS6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would compare GT to 330i, as it is more sporty than ix or xi.

AWD is not the most important feature of the vehicle for me.

Krzys

PS Audi won if you look at it but after adjusting for price GT Spec B took top honor.

PSS If anybody finds comparison including 330i and Legacy please let me know.

I would compare GT to 330i
Right, The GT is about $27k and the 330i is about $37k - looks like the GT won!

Okay, all sarcasm aside, those two cars arn't even in the same price range, you can't compare the features and expect the GT to get close at less than 75% the cost of the BMW. The Spec B is the only comparible Subaru model.

PS Audi won if you look at it but after adjusting for price GT Spec B took top honor.

My point wasn't that the Spec B is better, its that the Spec B is absolutely on the same level as the others mentioned, which one is better is a matter of opinion.

0 rows returned

I would compare GT to 330i, as it is more sporty than ix or xi.

AWD is not the most important feature of the vehicle for me.

Krzys

PSS If anybody finds comparison including 330i and Legacy please let me know.

Let's compare apples to apples... if The Legacy is AWD... the BMW needs to be too. comparatively equipped... a 330xi is $10,000 more than a Spec.B. If Subaru put $10,000 worth of stuff into the spec.B, I would bet money it'd trounce a 330xi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let's talk price.

330i USA price 36600, ED 34040. And you can negotiate.

GT is on similar level performance wise, body structure, crash results. It is missing in other regions like quality of interior, ergonomics (what about interior lights, it is dark here with door opened) and my favorite pet peeve: configurability. Try to buy cloth and mooroof or leather without moonroof (for really tall guys), it has never been available in GT.

Krzys

PS I agree that from performance point of view it is comparable but there has never been enthusiast's comparison: Spec B, 330i Sport Package, A4 3.2 quattro with S package (?) or just sport suspension (10% price of S - 250$).

Let's compare apples to apples... if The Legacy is AWD... the BMW needs to be too. comparatively equipped... a 330xi is $10,000 more than a Spec.B. If Subaru put $10,000 worth of stuff into the spec.B, I would bet money it'd trounce a 330xi

I bet 5k, wanna find out for real ;)

For those of you who think C&D hates subaru you forget that the Forrester has been their best small SUV in their top 5 trucks for a few years..

I've already noted this... and it bet it's because the Forester WAS the only small SUV with any punch and is low enough to handle well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rav4 takes the crown next year. It wasn't one of the makes tested for this years crown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So if comparing Spec B to IS350...

wait you cannot compare them as Lexus is Auto only and Spec B manual only.

I say use the most sport oriented version that is available (M3 would be definately too expensive).

Krzys

PS I saw one guy using "song of the post" approach. In my case I have two:

If I had 1000000 dollars - Barenaked Ladies

If I were a rich man - Fiedler on the Roof

;-)

Yeah I agree B4, and I'm not say'n anything cuz they are two diff classes of cars...the subie is still just an entry level and by no means considered a "luxury vehicle"

We could do this all day boys, it's supposed to be a specB review thread, not a compare it to every luxury car on the planet......try to keep to topic

<-- Guilty too :D

Review part, I couldn't wait........so I flashed to stage I today (649 miles what break in from stock, just using cobbs map.....feels great, peppy lil puppy I forgot how much potiential was in this engine....

Like B4 has said, the B is the perfect balance of power and such you really don't need more if you are a quality drive....but I can't deny it's so much fun to get the lil extra .......please forgive me Mr. B4..........LOL

is this article the same 'all wheel drive' shootout that we have other threads about already??

I didn't see anything about "all wheel drive shootout," but I did steal the link from another article, yes.

0 rows returned

I've driven a 330ci that belongs to a friend. Excellent steering feel and general handling but it is S-L-O-W compared to my LGT.

My mom had a 1998 540is. What long legs, it jerked the head when you stomped on it at 100mph. That car kills the 330ci, and I truly loved it. But the drawback in the 540 is the chassis - you can feel the body flexing pulling Gs over bumps.

I don't think the price for the SpecB really compares with BMW - those of you who have purchased a BMW new know that yes, every option is available, but very little is stock, and they add up fast. I can't imagine how you could get any form of 330ci, particularly with a sport package for under 42K.

So I think the price comparison between SpecB and 330 is disingenuous...

Are there any other comparison reviews yet running the LGT/SpecB against, say, the MazdaSpeed 6? Looks like, in the R&T comparo, the SpecB was abnormally fast and the MS6 was suffering from its well noted powerloss issues.

Wonder if the results would hold up in additional head-to-heads, presuming another (non-ringer?) SpecB and an MS6 with its "issues" resolved.

C&D did the 0-60 on the spec.B in 5.3 and 14s flat 1/4 mile

it seems the legacy is now more of a 5.1-5.3s car as opposed to the initial 5.5-5.8 car we initially thought.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just read the C&D article. They basically smashed on the Legacy for having too much body roll (the suspension is long travel for comfort and safety duh!), "a brake pedal with too much squish", "a shifter with slightly too much resistance to gear changes", and " a sometimes rough-idling engine".

I seem to recall C&D choosing the new 3 series in a comparison even after it's dash was ablaze with warning lights and the car broke down on them... more than once. Why the double standard?

"We appreciate the overachieving acceleration, but the problem is that for nearly 35 large we expect BMW-ness -- that sum buys a 325i with a few grand left for options."

so they are basically saying for the price of a spec.B you can buy a badge. A not even apples to apples badge. A spec.B @ $34,620 to a comparably equipped 325xi @ $40,945 is $6,325 less and will still spank it's butt in a straight line or on a track, cost less on insurance, and cost less to maintain.

Comparing it to an apples to orange 325i will save you $4,425 up front and get you were you need to be when outside conditions are less than ideal.

As equipped... the 325i doesn't even have projector headlamps. It'd be nice if C&D would get off BMW's tip and Honda's teet. I'd like to see more objectivity and fairness please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C&D did the 0-60 on the spec.B in 5.3 and 14s flat 1/4 mile

it seems the legacy is now more of a 5.1-5.3s car as opposed to the initial 5.5-5.8 car we initially thought.

Good thing! That 5.5-5.8 was just barely acceptable. :icon_twis

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived