LegacyGT.com

C&D spec.B review

which means we will probably hear of an unusually high rate of non-warranty clutch replacements in the near future :iam:

I think some of the better times are because they arent letting the LGTs out of the factory with defective pressure plates anymore. My orig clutch assembly which was replaced under warranty slipped and stunk like hell, the new one just grabs and goes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read the C&D article. They basically smashed on the Legacy for having too much body roll (the suspension is long travel for comfort and safety duh!), "a brake pedal with too much squish", "a shifter with slightly too much resistance to gear changes", and " a sometimes rough-idling engine".

You knock their criticisms, but three of these four knocks are complaints/criticisms common amongst all of us, and to some degree resolved relatively cheaply.

Re body roll - Either the JDM RSB or matching Cusco/Whiteline/Perrin sway bars. Helps out a lot. Still don't know why they didn't just put the JDM RSB in the Spec B. The cost of the JDM RSB instead of the USDM RSB would have been neglible.

Re shifter - AFAIK, the stock Spec B comes with the stock shifter. If it does, should include the STi STS standard. Plus, all Subies should come with Kartboy/Cusco-type shifter bushings. The bushings are only $30-35, and would be much cheaper to Suby if they were a stock item.

Re brake pedal - A common complaint on this board, and one which no one has an easy answer. Improved master cylinder, maybe?

Rough idle - ????

What some of us who have already modded our LGTs have to realize is that the cars that we are driving are no longer the same cars that these mags are testing.

You knock their criticisms, but three of these four knocks are complaints/criticisms common amongst all of us, and to some degree resolved relatively cheaply.

Re body roll - Either the JDM RSB or matching Cusco/Whiteline/Perrin sway bars. Helps out a lot. Still don't know why they didn't just put the JDM RSB in the Spec B. The cost of the JDM RSB instead of the USDM RSB would have been neglible.

Re shifter - AFAIK, the stock Spec B comes with the stock shifter. If it does, should include the STi STS standard. Plus, all Subies should come with Kartboy/Cusco-type shifter bushings. The bushings are only $30-35, and would be much cheaper to Suby if they were a stock item.

Re brake pedal - A common complaint on this board, and one which no one has an easy answer. Improved master cylinder, maybe?

Rough idle - ????

What some of us who have already modded our LGTs have to realize is that the cars that we are driving are no longer the same cars that these mags are testing.

Understood... no car is perfect... but the complaints are small compared to the overall experience of the car. They've overlooked a lot of major things on other cars that go on to win comparisons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think we were just seeing typical Subaru conservatism with the Spec B. They test the waters quite a bit before they decide to go full bore. It took them a few years with the Impreza 2.5RS before feeling comfortable bringing over the WRX. And only when they were convinced that they could sell performance oriented cars did they finally drop a turbo in the Legacy GT.///

Ken

What he said....

There are lots of 2.5i owners out there who barely think of the turbo Subarus. And lots of people who don't shop the performance oriented Subarus. They've got to solve that problem more than the first.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I would compare GT to 330i, as it is more sporty than ix or xi.

AWD is not the most important feature of the vehicle for me.

Krzys

PS Audi won if you look at it but after adjusting for price GT Spec B took top honor.

PSS If anybody finds comparison including 330i and Legacy please let me know.

Not so relevant to you over there, but last year our 'better' motoring magazine Wheels did compare the H6 engined 3.0R with the E46 330i. The BMW is essentially twice the price of the Legacy down here in Australia, so it was off to a bad start.

They rated the Subaru very well indeed, feeling it missed out a tiny bit on performance (0-62 in 7.9 secs vs 7.6, stg 1/4 15.7 vs 15.4), coarse-surface road noise refinement and rear-end body control and I'd certainly agree with that. I would think, having sampled 3 series and the Bilstein-suspended 3.0R-B we have here, that your spec B must run the BMW 330's chassis pretty close however. To better Munich's suspension tuning is a pretty big ask and I suspect high-speed refinement is the other issue.

There is no H6 Legacy in US so it is hard to compare.

But...

MSRP

BMW 330 36600 (no options included and they are quite pricey)

Spec B 33995 (few inexpensive options available)

Krzys

a comparably equipped 325i is almost $5k more... a 330i is going to be even less favorable..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no H6 Legacy in US so it is hard to compare.

But...

MSRP

BMW 330 36600 (no options included and they are quite pricey)

Spec B 33995 (few inexpensive options available)

Krzys

Very true; I'm flabbergasted that in your great big Subaru-friendly market there is no H6. Here the 3.0R-B 6MT is AU$51990 (auto $50,990) whereas the 330i (only auto) is $98K....

US does have Outback with H6 (high suspended Legacy not wildernes ;-) but it is auto only.

It is interesting that 330i is not available with manual in Australia.

US BMW customers raised some stink when M5 was supposed to be available with SMG only.

Krzys

PS The ways of importers are not to be understood.

Archived