LegacyGT.com

Pretty sure I just got hosed on this alignment...

fweasel

I had my Ion springs installed about two weeks ago and went for an alignment today at Just Tires. I don't know much about alignments, but after looking over my results, reading posts about what can and can't be adjusted, I think they did a pretty piss poor job.

Before/After (degrees)

LF camber +0.3/+0.3

RF camber -0.3/-0.3

Cross camber +0.7/+0.6

LF toe -0.60/-0.03

RF toe +0.62/-0.03

Total toe +0.02/-0.06

LR camber -1.6/-1.6

RR camber -1.0/-1.0

LR toe +0.37/+0.48

RR toe +0.26/+0.00

Total toe +0.63/+0.48

The number that sticks out to me is the rear total toe: +0.48degrees. Its obviously way out of spec on the left rear wheel. Can this be dialed out considering the car is lowered?

ignore him, he'll go away.

I had my Ion springs installed about two weeks ago and went for an alignment today at Just Tires. I don't know much about alignments, but after looking over my results, reading posts about what can and can't be adjusted, I think they did a pretty piss poor job.

Before/After (degrees)

LF camber +0.3/+0.3

RF camber -0.3/-0.3

Cross camber +0.7/+0.6

LF toe -0.60/-0.03

RF toe +0.62/-0.03

Total toe +0.02/-0.06

LR camber -1.6/-1.6

RR camber -1.0/-1.0

LR toe +0.37/+0.48

RR toe +0.26/+0.00

Total toe +0.63/+0.48

The number that sticks out to me is the rear total toe: +0.48degrees. Its obviously way out of spec on the left rear wheel. Can this be dialed out considering the car is lowered?

The rear toe is way out of whack. Toe is easily corrected and there is no way they should have sent you on your way with one corner out of spec like that. While you're at it, have them dial a little negative camber (1 to 1.5*) in up front, as that is another adjustable parameter.

Looks like I'll be heading back there tomorrow morning to have the rear toe looked at.

What specs should I take in with me? I found a post with two sets of alignment specs listed. One was from the service manual and the other was the dealer service department. Difference?

I'd personally go for zero toe all around and as much negative camber (equal from side to side) as you can get in front.

However if they did that poor a job the first time around, I wouldn't expect much from them other than getting it within spec.

front camber is adjustable within a half a degree or so. and toe front and rear should be as close to zero as possibile. more front camber ill give you better hadeling and steering responce, but also more tire wear. as long as both sides are even. then i would be happy. you dial in to much with the factory adjustment

Looks like I'll be heading back there tomorrow morning to have the rear toe looked at.

What specs should I take in with me? I found a post with two sets of alignment specs listed. One was from the service manual and the other was the dealer service department. Difference?

My car is lowered (iON's) and this is what I got after an allignment:

After (degrees), (before doesn't matter)

LF camber -0.4

RF camber -0.4

LF toe 0.00

RF toe 0.00

Total toe -0.01

Steer Ahead 0.00

LR camber -1.1 - can't adjust

RR camber -1.2 - can't adjust

LR toe -0.04

RR toe 0.01

Total toe -0.03

Thrust Angle -0.03

You got SCREWED, dude! PM me if you want more info as to where I went and type of allignment machine.

I hope you get that horrendous alignment worked out

Just had it done today, picked up the car on my way home. I'll be heading back there first thing in the morning.

NHLEG- thanks for the input, that helps tremendously knowing someone else with these springs got spot on results.

UPDATE:

Took the car back today for another go around. They were very defensive (maybe the springs weren't installed correctly) and never once appologized for my second trip. Weird thing is, I drove the car about 5 miles between the two alignments, and most of today's begining numbers are different than yesterday's final numbers. With that kind of inaccuracy, I don't trust today's results either.

Before/After (degrees)___Yesterday's final

FL toe +0.12/+0.01 _____-0.03

FR toe -0.03/0.00 _______-0.03

FL camber +0.3 _________+0.3

FR camber -0.2 __________-0.3

RL toe +0.42/+0.12 ______+0.48

RR toe +0.05/+0.03 ______+0.00

RL camber -1.5 __________-1.6

RR camber -0.8 __________-1.0

Most of the numbers improved, but now the cars pulls right. I'm going to have to try another shop. Any locals have some suggestions? I'll take my results from a quality alignment and go back to the original place and argue for a refund.

Well that's better. But the camber in the front should really be fixed too. The camber is what's probably causing the pulling at this point. The positive camber at the left front is no good.

+1. Go back and have them fix to - .3 (up to -05) on BOTH sides! No excuse to have one + and the other - except they're lazy or they suck.

keep in mind that most alignment racks have a low repeatability rate. Everytime you put a car on the rack you will come out with a different reading.

I agree. And the repeatability is even worse when you go from shop to shop. Getting good alignment results is 50% luck.

Went back for the third time today. Asked to have the camber adjusted up front so they would both be at least -0.3 and then re adjust the toe. Went back to pick up the car at 5:00... Manager said the tech told him there are no eccentric bolts to adjust the camber.

I assured him there were as I held them in my hand during the spring install. So, I'll be going back again tomorrow morning for the FOURTH time to show the tech in person where they are located.

I thought they were the bottom one, but this pic shows the top. Obviously its whatever bolt has the tick marks, but I just want to know for sure before I go in.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13647&d=1137504210

You'd think they'd get tired of seeing you come back and just do it right for once. But a lot of alignment shops just kinda suck.

I've had pretty good luck with Firestone even when I specify my custom alignment specs. And I'm liking their lifetime alignment. Sometimes you just have to explain to them where the slack is in the suspension to produce the camber adjustment you need so I started writing that down as a note in the work order.

Archived